• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Jewish bereavement when there's no body?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
This is for a short story, by the way.

I'm wondering what the ritual is for Jewish bereavement when there's no body to bury or anything (as in, lost at sea, burned beyond recognition from rubble, crushed and lost in a mining accident, etc). I am guessing the family still sits shiva but because a lot of ritual involves actual burial and stuff, well, do Jews do a symbolic burial or is there something different or does the family just skip these parts all together?

I know there probably aren't a whole lot of people who would know about this on this forum, but I'm having trouble finding anything online, so I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. Thanks for any help on the matter.