• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is life worth living?

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
It depends on perspective. You can't come to a universal verdict, but that's obvious.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's not really worth living, but suicide is just too much of a hassle.

Lark

wow, this is such an old thread, I remember it clear as day though, I think I was reading a book with that as the title at the time.

Mole

Permabanned
I spend five hours every second day in the antechamber of death in dialysis, surrounded by other patients, like anaesthetised flowers upon a table.

It is common for dialysis patients to start off with false bravado, and this carries us along for a while, but eventually our inner resources start to fail, and we loose the will to live.

We can tell when the patient next to us has lost the will to live, because they become Muselmann, click Muselmann - Wikipedia.

And quite soon their death is announced, and a death notice put up.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
On the whole for me personally I would say very much so. I enjoy a lot of things in life like gaming, traveling, hoping I can make a difference to the world, write a fun book series (ether fictional or on typology). Pandemic is a lil sucky but that wont last forever :newwink:

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes. I've saved a few from suicide at times. I don't believe that's the right option. Despite how dire things may seem (excluding some very specific circumstances perhaps). There's always a purpose and evolutionary point you can make with your life. To give it ultimate purpose no matter how big or small, or what's the point of living? And I don't mean Godly purpose, although that can empower one as well, it has it's uses, but purpose for your self even, whatever you use it for, be sure it provides some value and ultimately you don't have to die with regrets, having evolved from such shames, whatsoever fuels your purpose or others let them be. I use to slip into nihilistic thinking, but ultimately I found a purpose beyond that and it's now what I believe in. Regardless of how well I understand it yet. Although personally I am a spiritual person so I am skeptical this is all we're stuck with anyway because of personal research. This isn't to say I don't slip into nihilistic smackbacks from time to time, it certainly runs it's course. But people are full of viewpoints, whether religious, atheistic, agnostic, spiritual, wiccan, on and on. It all has it's merits and potential pitfalls. Existence and life is a complicated concept, yet simple in a sense as well. I believe we should hold onto what makes us happy, what gives us hope, what we thrive on, what we love, who we love (and hopefully learn to love ourselves in the process, good and bad, it's you, accept it and learn) and ultimately unify. A lofty and unlikely outcome, but if there was ever any higher purpose that would be it. Kinda reminds me when any big disaster happened many came together to help rebuild. Hearts were opened through tragedy. "I" became "We". We may never achieve a paradise of any sort, cuz that's HIGHLY unlikely logically, virtually impossible, however we can hopefully work best to achieve the most of our own internal paradises to constantly improve and evolve. The only real core purpose would probably be evolution in any wholistic manner. I would say "Love" but I hear that a lot, and it's cringe and flowery. Nor am I entirely loving of a person anyway. But I work with what I am, who I am, and I believe in evolving always. At any rate.

I don't believe there is an inherently higher purpose for life, it is just something that happens. Life only has what meaning that you make of it, and humans are hard wired to view things within a narrative, endowing it with a sense of worthiness to something that is inherently random. The idea that it is either worthy, or if it isn't, is something that humans ascribe to life.
As to the worth of life, I personally don't think there is a reason to believe it is worth living. We are "thrown into existence", so to speak, so by existing we create our own meaning. Such is freedom to choose how one determines one's life. If you think it is worth living, then it is, and if you think it isn't, then it isn't. Everyone should have the freedom to choose life or death based on how they perceive it.
Personally, I find life quite agreeable at the moment. It is not a state against which I struggle. It's a matter of making life work in a way that doesn't suck.

Lark

You will die anyway in the end, so you may as well accept the adventure of living.

I suppose that is true, although I dont see why so many people have a tragic sense of life or a begrudging attitude towards living.

There is just to much about life which is unbelievably awesome.

The culture I think puts people on a downer, there's a bunch of reasons for that maybe but I think consumerism has a part to play and for commercial reasons business wants to keep people psychologically hungry or dissatisfied as possible and that just contaminates everything else.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I suppose that is true, although I dont see why so many people have a tragic sense of life or a begrudging attitude towards living.

There is just to much about life which is unbelievably awesome.

The culture I think puts people on a downer, there's a bunch of reasons for that maybe but I think consumerism has a part to play and for commercial reasons business wants to keep people psychologically hungry or dissatisfied as possible and that just contaminates everything else.

I agree with this. Consumerism is a great source of contamination for the human mind. There are many sad things in the world, and as someone with depression I know all too well the sinking deadening feeling of pointlessness, but there are also many wonderful things that make it worth living I've grown to appreciate.

SirCanSir

MBTI Type
hmm
Enneagram
hmm
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There is no clear answer to that until you ve tried everything to be happy first. The general answer is still yes though. Since there is no alternative anyway.

Overcoming personal struggles can be really hard or even impossible in some cases, but its still the only path available everyone has. Giving up before trying to enjoy life means that the choice was made before the answer was clearly given.

Lark

There is no clear answer to that until you ve tried everything to be happy first. The general answer is still yes though. Since there is no alternative anyway.

Overcoming personal struggles can be really hard or even impossible in some cases, but its still the only path available everyone has. Giving up before trying to enjoy life means that the choice was made before the answer was clearly given.

I also think consider thoughts about life not being worth living and any thoughts about self-harm resulting in a premature death, which could be suicide or misadventure, is usually a permanent solution applied to a temporary problem.

There's usually a lot of situational stressors which seem insurmountable, although whether there is or whether there apparently is not, the mood and mental state that anyone is experiencing, whether its triggered by stressors or totally endogenous, is not fixed. It can change. Sometimes spontaneously, sometimes with good fortune, sometimes with time limited treatment.

So imagining that life is not worth living is often too quick to become "life is always not worth living" instead of "life seems like it is not worth living right now".

In the Matrix when the computers tell Neo that designing a utopian version of the Matrix without misery or difficulty of any kind resulted in humans becoming psychotic or dying I think they had a point. Plus I think there's avoidable and unavoidable suffering in life, both can test you but you can choose to prepare for the unavoidable sort and plan ahead when dealing with it to manage or reduce it while just avoiding the avoidable sort altogether.