• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

A question for Christians who aren't bible fundamentalists.

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Could you explain for the court what the "pursuit of objective history" is? :)

I think it's part of the meat of this sort of topic. Most people are only acquainted with their own particular way to approach an issue.... A common mistake is to assume that one is part of a traditional way of viewing something, when that really is not the case.

Crudely, objective history searches for the "just the facts please" of all things past. I say crudely because there is obviously debate over historical topics in academia--but they are searching, or at least should be if they have integrity, for history as it really happened.

That just wasn't there in the ancient world, especially in the ancient near east (ANE). People were not concerned about what to us look like apparent contradictions and discrepancies. Logic was not king. The Greek language and alphabet are suited to the purposes of logic, but this is not the case in Hebrew.

For instance, of all the writings from ancient Egypt, how many times have we come across unbiased, unexaggerated portrayals of kings? They always gloat on and on about their triumphs, though they are often not accurate.

So look at the Flood story in Genesis. There are two different descriptions of how many animals were put in Noah's boat, as well as how many days it rained, and how many days the waters lasted. This is because the books were comprised of different sources and edited over time. But for the people who used the Scriptures, those contradictions didn't matter.

For this fact alone, it is unwise to interpret the Bible literally, unless there is sufficient reason to do so. (Not everything in the Bible is objectively false)

Lark

Now we are getting into one of the main intersections of the arguments in this particular topic :), which is this:

What does it mean specifically to love god and love your neighbor?

Is it a feeling?
Is it an attitude?
Is it fulfilling a list of specific actions?
How do people recognize whether they are "really" loving God and others?

Could you explain for the court what the "pursuit of objective history" is? :)

I think it's part of the meat of this sort of topic. Most people are only acquainted with their own particular way to approach an issue.... A common mistake is to assume that one is part of a traditional way of viewing something, when that really is not the case.

I believe it is all of those things and Jesus himself gave a lot of directions as to what it meant, these seem absurd and bound to guarantee the self-destruction of anyone literally practicing them.

For instance giving your coat to anyone who asks for it, selling all you have and divesting yourself of all worldy possesssions what so ever and giving them to the poor (note that there is no expectation of this changing, helping or satisfying the poor, nor is it anything to do with social justice, social conscience or just dessert per se either, it is about changing the believer not the recipient of their goods).

However this in itself must be understood in the context of legalism and sufficiency as it existed in Jesus' day, the laws of the old testament had become a bind and burden upon mankind, there are still those who believe that is exactly as should be but this was not Jesus' point of view, so much is clear, that he felt these laws were created to serve man and not vice versa.

The second major thing is that Jesus opposed deal making or sufficiency in practicing a life pleasing to God and also satisfactory to man, so he purposefully made statements which provided no cap or speficity, besides boundless generosity (in a way this can only be fathomed as a reflection of the psychology of God who was the author of creation, the gift that keeps on giving, who does not want anything in return, indeed what would he want or could he have which he has not already given to the giver in the first place?).

There is also quite a bit about this not being a merely material precept, I'm sure that Jesus would and does bawlk at the material inequity between his followers (I dont believe any of the calvinist heresy what so ever, the idea that material prosperity equals favour is the reinvention or revitalisation of ancient old testament reasoning which Jesus rejected) but observations about poor people parting with little amounts versus rich people giving collosal amounts reflect it is the impact upon the giver which is important, not the process of giving itself or the amount.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
All those examples are examples of old testament Christians or Judeo-Christians and I feel that's wrong too, Jesus has a pretty clear and simple message throughout his ministry which supersedes all the existing prior scriptural law and tradition.

Really? How do you interpret these passages then:

Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.
- Matthew 5:17-18

If you believed Moses, you would believe me, for he wrote about me. But since you do not believe what he wrote, how are you going to believe what I say?
-John 5:46-47

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9

Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.

If you believed Moses, you would believe me, for he wrote about me. But since you do not believe what he wrote, how are you going to believe what I say?

Well Jesus never contradicted the Law, after all he always was a Jew. It's just that his teachings are the essence, and the most important part of the law.

Lark

The Devil can quote scripture...

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Well Jesus never contradicted the Law, after all he always was a Jew. It's just that his teachings are the essence, and the most important part of the law.

Is there any part in the NT where Jesus asserts that his teachings supersede or are more important than the OT? It looks like he was affirming the authority of the OT.

The Devil can quote scripture...

Doesn't the Devil also avoid giving straight answers to questions?

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
And when he does, Jesus is gracious enough to even the devil to give a real response...

Quoting particular lines from Scripture is a really bad way of arguing, unless everyone, including the speaker, is familiar with the context in which it was written. I'm almost positive that we don't have any theologians on the forum, so we shouldn't point to random lines.

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Is there any part in the NT where Jesus asserts that his teachings supersede or are more important than the OT? It looks like he was affirming the authority of the OT.

I'm not aware of him ever explicitly saying that. Again, I'm not going to point to specific lines and say "here it is" because that's useless here. It could be that this line of thinking comes from the images of rebuilding the Temple in three days...I'm not really sure. He never did contradict the Law, he preached about what is referred to as "spirit of the law" vs "letter of the law."

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Christ may not have (he may have, though, I just don't have time to research it right now) but Paul said
"For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth." (Romans 10:4)

Here's what appears to be a pretty good article on the subject.
Jesus and the Law of Moses

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
but with that said, i believe i am strong enough to take whatever god dishes out to me in the afterlife.

After a few billion years of constantly getting burned, slaughtered, torn apart and drowned in horseshit, I'm sure you'll think otherwise.

MUHHAHAHA, I like Christianity. Spread the word of love and forgiveness, else Lucifer is gonna have buttsex with you for all eternity :vader1:

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There are Christians who believe that your salvation is eternal no matter what you do, as long as you describe yourself as a follower of Christ.

No buttsex with Lucifer (sorry to disappoint you...)

Even if you mess up, commit sins, do wrong, etc.

Nothing can separate you from the love of God -- not sin, not death.

Lots of Christians believe that and have excellent and thorough arguments to explain their point of view.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Still deciding whether or not I believe in the divinity of Christ myself.

That being said, everything else is mostly spot on.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
There are Christians who believe that your salvation is eternal no matter what you do, as long as you describe yourself as a follower of Christ.

No buttsex with Lucifer (sorry to disappoint you...)

Even if you mess up, commit sins, do wrong, etc.

Nothing can separate you from the love of God -- not sin, not death.

Lots of Christians believe that and have excellent and thorough arguments to explain their point of view.

That view does seem to be backed up by some scripture. But it seems to be contradicted a lot, even in the NT. There are so many parts where God or Jesus tells followers that they can go to Hell if they do this or that or the other thing.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just call me buzz stomper, I know...

And aj, what can I say? Those parts are wrong.

wank

MBTI Type
free
Enneagram
nope
If so, should we embrace the view that anything is possible? That is, should we believe that some day we will see water boil in antarctica, that 2 and 2 will make six and that falling objects will move up as opposed to down?

Well, I guess yes,...

With association to the above, and in respect to the hierarchal nature of reality(and there being more dimensions than these[and respecting that God is outside of this]): Can you have a triangle with vortices(sp?) that add up to 181 degrees or even 179 degrees?
The answer is yes(yes it's just an associative complex, but I believe it's valid).

In one sentece, my question to you could be summarized as follows. Once we start believing that miracles are possible, how often can we expect for them to happen and under what circumstances, also what kind of miracles are going to be likely to happen?

We are to believe they possible, but it's not that we should be seeking after them or expecting them.

1Cr 1:22 For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:
1Cr 1:23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;
link back

I assume they will come if and when He wills it, but in no way is it a matter of expectation.

Lark

The straight answer, real answer, whatever you choose to call it is that I didnt feel the citations meant anything.

Perhaps if I was a literalist, which I'd argued against for most of the thread, I'd care.

wank

MBTI Type
free
Enneagram
nope
That view does seem to be backed up by some scripture. But it seems to be contradicted a lot, even in the NT. There are so many parts where God or Jesus tells followers that they can go to Hell if they do this or that or the other thing.

Well, they are supposed to be changed and reborn, their actions as well, as after such, real belief, real faith, is a completely changed life.
He gives many warnings for what's not cool, but doesn't say you're going to hell if you do this,... simply it's explained why such and such should not be palatable to the follower of Christ(and that particular topics of participation are a matter of 'being in danger of hellfire'). Being angry, not loving, treating people as lesser, etc... not cool.

link back 'hell' search - NT(1) link back 'hell' search - NT(2)

Eph 5:2 And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour.
Eph 5:3 But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints;
Eph 5:4 Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.
Eph 5:5 For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.
link back