• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Meditation

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Thank you people. Ok, I will experiment with what you said and see what happens. I don't think I will try it with a partner though, I think I'd be too shy and I'd worry about them. The feeling alone and sad comes more when I imagine it than when I actually am meditative in the moment.

Keep us up about how it worked for you. I'd be very interested in reading about different experiences with that technique.

I might write about it in my blog in the future. I've already written in there about doing yoga/meditation for my eyes to improve my eyesight naturally without glasses/contacts. This thread made me think the other day actually that it is interesting that if you can see total black when your eyes are shut and covered with your palms (I can't, I have stressed eyes), it is a sign of good eye health and promotes better sight. You could do it for hours, like an eyesight version of meditation. It's sort of the same mentally I guess, when people say that if you can empty your mind to a void you can think better and are more perceptive afterwards.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is something that I am very interested in learning about and trying. I stress easily and I have a mild heart condition, so I think this would be an excellent tool to get that under control. I've been suppressing a lot lately and I've been experiencing chest pains and heart palpitations. My last doctor visit revealed HBP for the first time ever.

If I want to live a long and healthy life, I must figure out how to flatline this pressure cooker and a lot of people seem to have great experiences with meditation --at worse a neutral indifference. It can't hurt to try.

Anyone have any suggestions or tips?

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
This is something that I am very interested in learning about and trying. I stress easily and I have a mild heart condition, so I think this would be an excellent tool to get that under control. I've been suppressing a lot lately and I've been experiencing chest pains and heart palpitations. My last doctor visit revealed HBP for the first time ever.

If I want to live a long and healthy life, I must figure out how to flatline this pressure cooker and a lot of people seem to have great experiences with meditation --at worse a neutral indifference. It can't hurt to try.

I think a lot of people focus on "meditation" when they would be better off focusing on some sort of mind-body or mind-body-spirit connection. If you want peace of mind or focus or something, meditation is good for that, but for physical relaxation/de-stressing one if probably better served by some sort of mind-body practice, such as: tai chi, yoga postures, yoga breathing, chi kung, etc. Both approaches can work, but I think meditation is clearly the more indirect route.

Mole

Permabanned

Try www.trance.edu

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think a lot of people focus on "meditation" when they would be better off focusing on some sort of mind-body or mind-body-spirit connection. If you want peace of mind or focus or something, meditation is good for that, but for physical relaxation/de-stressing one if probably better served by some sort of mind-body practice, such as: tai chi, yoga postures, yoga breathing, chi kung, etc. Both approaches can work, but I think meditation is clearly the more indirect route.

Thanks to you both for your input.

Yoga has been suggested to me as well, so I'm certainly open to that. I'll take a look at that site Victor.

Mole

Permabanned
Changing myself.

I've been able to anchor my meditation with one word, "magic", So I only have to say the word, "magic", to myself for the world around me to start to change and become beautiful and magical.

Of course the world hasn't changed, I've changed myself, for just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so magic is also in the eye of the beholder.

My mother changed me as a little baby but now I change myself.

erm

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram

Join a class on the matter. Anything said or taught on the matter, should be tangible. Drawn out with examples. It should be able to be experienced, even if just a little bit, straight away, through a simple exercise of some sort. I'd be extremely wary of those who don't keep the teachings simple and tangible, try to add mysticism where it isn't needed or desired, and don't refer to everyday examples.

I'd strongly warn against trying to treat HBP and stress with more esoteric routes like meditation. Medicine, diet and exercise to treat HBP, identifying and removing sources of stress to treat stress.

Meditation is both vastly overestimated, and vastly underestimated in its power. It can have a hugely powerful effect when practised regularly for years, which is often underestimated in just how life-changing and amazing that can be, but is vastly overestimated in its short term effects, where it mostly just makes you feel good for a little bit. I definitely wouldn't recommend using it as a crutch for a short-term increase in stress levels, and would never recommend it be taken as a serious route to lowering blood pressure.

I'm probably being overly negative. It's great, and all the threats I listed aren't too serious. I hope you find a solution to your problems. Good luck.

Permabanned
I've always wanted to learn how to meditate. Don't know how to. Would love to, but I have tinnitus, which is chronic ear ringing... sooo it kinda takes away from the calming experience. :cry:
I have it too. The important part about meditation is to notice, as an exercise to become more aware. Noticing thoughts and objects, internal or external serves the same purpose. It's there already all the time anyway.

JediVulcanisim

MBTI Type
INTJ
Does anyone here have experience with meditating for the the spiritual purpose of uniting with (the true nature of) Reality? I am considering making a serious effort at this but am not sure how to go about it. I have experienced this spontaneously but would like to work at it through will.

The type of meditation I exercise is that of practicing Hyper-Situational and Hyper-Sensory Awareness. I have been able to practice this at any point in time during the day. Calming the mind and accessing as much sensory data as possible and contemplating it as to how it relates to your four-layer-bio-bodysuit, and how your sentience can be preserved. Understanding every factor (physical, emotional, environmental, intellectual, and *spiritual [for lack of a better term]) is a matter of precedence.

Literally your body is an empty shell that receives information and your mind is the sponge. At this point scientificamerican.com states that, "...memory storage capacity is closer to 2.5 petabytes (or a million gigabytes) of information". You have the capacity to analyze, process, and store all of this information; use as much as you can through an active meditation

Ethan Bear

MBTI Type
INFJ
I think It is a wonderful way to reflect on life. today we are in the midsts of a hyper culture that is not too excited about the idea of slowing down

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

My INFJ sis gets a lot out of traditional meditation, it's an easy thing for her to sit down for 30 minutes whenever she wants and centre herself. For me that does nothing, however Tai Chai is the most awesome thing I've ever encountered, I do it for stress relief, it gives me the same centreing feeling my sis gets from meditation but through physical movement. I do enjoy Yoga as well but the movement in Tai Chai is something any other form of relaxation/meditation has not been able to come close to for me.

There are different styles, my preference is the Yang style.

ETA: Oh, and each one of the movements the lady is doing has something associated with it that aids a mind-body connection and stress relief, such as 'sun sinking beneath the earth' etc to represent what the movement could simulate, meaning she's not concentrating on the movement, she's concentrating on the flow and what that movement means. I think it's impossible to be stressed while doing Tai Chai, which is the other benefit I've found over Yoga.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I enjoy meditation as it brings me back to my body from the clouds of the imaginative world.

As i get bored easily i have to alternate with different techniques, be it tai chi, crystal therapy, chakra alignment etc.

I find the process very rewarding and beneficial.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I occasionally meditate for calm and for reflection. A few months ago I went regularly to a Zen temple. Buddhist do not meditate for calmness, they are trying to accomplish something entirely different. Going to that place in myself kind of freaked me out. I may have to try it again in a few years.