• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Meditation

antireconciler

it's a nuclear device
MBTI Type
Intj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so
I find just taking 20 minutes or so to sit down in seiza and relax to be always rewarding.

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
I've recently started doing this. I see it kind of exercise for the brain. One more thing to add to makeup holistic health.

Mole

Permabanned
May I ask what stage you are at? And how long it took you to get there?

I'm trying a similar technique with a similar goal, except I don't categorise, but just acknowledge the thoughts then push or let go of them as 'gently' as I can. I'm not very long in and am having trouble identifying any progress. Though I do think I've made some.

It's a good idea to wait until you are hungry then find a good teacher who likes themselves and is willing to teach you how to like yourself.

LEGERdeMAIN

May I ask what stage you are at? And how long it took you to get there?

I'm trying a similar technique with a similar goal, except I don't categorise, but just acknowledge the thoughts then push or let go of them as 'gently' as I can. I'm not very long in and am having trouble identifying any progress. Though I do think I've made some.

I've been meditating for about six years, using hermetic rituals since I was 13 as a (perceived) shortcut to samahdi and I've practicing kundalini for the past two years. I've been able to, inconsistently, push out all thoughts except for the thought I wish to think, which is, according to my intentions, thoughts of existence. I suggest you figure out your own goals for meditation and find a way to reach them. It takes different people different amounts of time to reach the same stage- one size usually fits all, but not very well. It took me about five years, but I practiced very casually until the last couple of years. Describe how you meditate. I'd like to know.

erm

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Describe how you meditate. I'd like to know.

Well, my personal goals are:-
To be able to focus/concentrate on something easily and at any time.
To be able to empty my mind of all thoughts, or at least as close as is possible.
To be able to enter this state at any time, any place.

I know they are both hefty goals. I'm not expecting to achieve either of them any time soon, especially the last one. From what I've heard both are possible, but take at least a decade of consistent practice.

Currently once a day, soon to be twice, I sit at the end of my bed, close my eyes and focus on my breath. I breathe deep and slow, and accept, but gently push away any thoughts that enter my mind (I find forcing them away causes stress). By thoughts I mean anything other than the focused 'feeling' centred around my breath.

I now go about ten slow breathes without any "big" thoughts (the clear conscious thoughts, sounds, and images that happen at the "front" of the mind), as I call them, but the background chattering is proving a more versatile opponent. They are fast and sneaky, most commonly "hurray, the mind's quiet!", or "In, out, in, out" in rhythm with the breath.

It's usually the background chatter that leads to full distraction too. As I can usually cut off bigger thoughts before they finish.

It's a good idea to wait until you are hungry then find a good teacher who likes themselves and is willing to teach you how to like yourself.

That's probably a good idea, but there are so many types of meditation it's difficult to find a specific teacher.

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Sorry if this sounds like a silly question, but I've never really understood what people mean when they say they aim to empty their mind through meditation. What exactly is “emptying your mind”? And how does it help you? What is supposed to happen when you are able to do this?

erm

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Sorry if this sounds like a silly question, but I've never really understood what people mean when they say they aim to empty their mind through meditation. What exactly is “emptying your mind”? And how does it help you? What is supposed to happen when you are able to do this?

I'm no expert, but when I've had a reasonably empty mind, I forgot who I am, what I am doing, and only half remember that I even exist. Very peaceful, and my mind's reaction after waking up is quite euphoric. In the long term it's supposed to give one greater control over their own mind.

I think the actual definition of an "empty mind" varies. As some seem to use it to mean when one is focused on one thing, and one thing only. Which I find a similar state to be in, but haven't been able to pull off particularly well. I think it usually means when your mind is observing "nothing", but still actually observing (paradoxically). Expert meditators often describe it as being aware of nothing but your own "existence".

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Oh ok, so it's like a mental exercise? From what you say it's like it makes your mind stronger and refreshes you. I thought it was supposed to be a spiritual practice? Or is it not necessarily spiritual?

erm

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Oh ok, so it's like a mental exercise? From what you say it's like it makes your mind stronger and refreshes you.

That's how I see it. It acts a lot like physical exercise in that, as long as your technique is good, there's not much you can do beyond keep it up and watch as you get better and better at it naturally.

The good thing is, from what I've seen, ageing doesn't interfere with this type of exercise. In fact it might even strengthen it.

I thought it was supposed to be a spiritual practice? Or is it not necessarily spiritual?

I think most meditation in the world is done for spiritual reasons. It seems to originate from that, but isn't necessarily spiritual.

Mole

Permabanned
That's probably a good idea, but there are so many types of meditation it's difficult to find a specific teacher.

Well, draw up a list of teachers. Write to each and say you are looking for a meditation teacher and you would like to interview them.

Organise your interview in advance so you know what you are looking for.

This is your first step into meditation. You are in charge. And you are looking for what you need.

However I suggest you start with Dennis Wier.

You can find him by clicking on The Trance Institute

LEGERdeMAIN

Meditation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is basically a short list of Meditation and how several religious and spiritual organizations use it.

It's best to steer clear of guru's and other egotists. Find a yoga center near you and talk to an instructor about local teachers. Ask for the names of a handful of teachers and then give them a call.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I've heard if you're troubled, the best kind of meditation is to visualize yourself doing positive, good things in whatever is troubling you. This goes a long way towards helping and improving your state of mind.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Bumped because I'm recognizing the need for meditation in my life. I need it to help me clear my mind so that I can focus on what I need to do for the day and for helping remove anxiety so that I can sleep through the night. The problem is I don't know how to meditate really. If anyone has any descriptions, tips or suggestions for learning it would be greatly appreciated.

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
I meditate every day. I have for a few years. I think it keeps me sane. I repeat a mantra to myself and focus on the rhythm of the words and my breath. I let my thoughts do what they will. Sometimes they unfold and others they tangle themselves up. Either or is fine with me. :)

Lark

What's interesting about this is its been discussed by a couple of psychological writers I like, Alex Lowen, Eric Fromm etc. who suggest that one of the ills of modern western society is a state of constant over stimulation, craved by narcissistic individuals who cant spend time alone or quietly without seeking multiple diversions simultaneously to keep them in state of alertness.

I just realised that it was me pretty much, I've been keeping a reflective journal for a while an reading rather than meditating, although with the TV etc. off it is less stimulating than doing a number of things or receiving a number of stimuli simultaneously so its something.

Thinking of doing this though, I know a major obsticle to it will be my unwillingness to sacrifice my free time to something like meditation thouh, any time I sit for moment I begin to think what I could or should be doing, that my time is precious, that I dont have as much of it as I'd like.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I meditate every day. I have for a few years. I think it keeps me sane. I repeat a mantra to myself and focus on the rhythm of the words and my breath. I let my thoughts do what they will. Sometimes they unfold and others they tangle themselves up. Either or is fine with me. :)

How do you feel afterwards?

What's interesting about this is its been discussed by a couple of psychological writers I like, Alex Lowen, Eric Fromm etc. who suggest that one of the ills of modern western society is a state of constant over stimulation, craved by narcissistic individuals who cant spend time alone or quietly without seeking multiple diversions simultaneously to keep them in state of alertness.

I just realised that it was me pretty much, I've been keeping a reflective journal for a while an reading rather than meditating, although with the TV etc. off it is less stimulating than doing a number of things or receiving a number of stimuli simultaneously so its something.

Thinking of doing this though, I know a major obsticle to it will be my unwillingness to sacrifice my free time to something like meditation thouh, any time I sit for moment I begin to think what I could or should be doing, that my time is precious, that I dont have as much of it as I'd like.

The opportunity cost for me is worth it. I get distracted easily and can get emotionally distraught easily. I plan to use it to help me with my focus and to facilitate calmness so that I can get things done. The things that distract me are a barrier to me getting things done. And I think you're only supposed to do it for like 20 mins at a time.

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
How do you feel afterwards?

I usually feel calmer. I am more aware of my physical body afterword as well. I find I am nicer after I meditate. At least that's what I've been told. :)

Lark

I usually feel calmer. I am more aware of my physical body afterword as well. I find I am nicer after I meditate. At least that's what I've been told. :)

All the processes, deep breathing etc. are hardwired to provide a mind-body relief and oxygenate the blood, I'd imagine it would provide both a exhilerating experience of a kind with a calm after burn if you know what I mean, in that sort of frame of mind and feeling that way I'd suspect it'd be hard to be anything but nice. :):)

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
All the processes, deep breathing etc. are hardwired to provide a mind-body relief and oxygenate the blood, I'd imagine it would provide both a exhilerating experience of a kind with a calm after burn if you know what I mean, in that sort of frame of mind and feeling that way I'd suspect it'd be hard to be anything but nice. :):)

Yes. I agree completely. It totally goes back to biology and ATP production, oxygenation of the blood, metabolism etc. It is physically that, but it is mental as well. I think you can somewhat control you bodily reactions with your mind. I think the mind is a powerful companion to the body. :)

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Meditation's different for everyone. What I was referring to was the process of emptying one's consciousness and seeing what happens.

I tried doing this in a formal way a couple times. The last time, I had bought a book and several CDs and spent a few days on it on and off. Maybe I didn't persist long enough, but the actual act of meditating (emptying my mind) was a bit boring. That being said, it seems the concept is important. We all lead such busy and activity filled lives that you don't have a chance to slow down and think - get the creative juices going. I do this a lot while driving and listening to music. It is one of the reasons I always drive to work vs. taking the train. The best alpha state experience is probably while getting a massage though.