• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

China incline USA decline?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Finally, I think it funny that Haphazard noted lawyers and accountants as a source of great evil with regard to acquiring venture capital.

Uh, no, I never said that.

It looks like the original poster may have deleted it, but it wasn't me. I was only saying that if an authoritarian government is the only way for the US to keep its superpower status, then the US will fall behind, because there's no way for that to work.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Uh, no, I never said that.

It looks like the original poster may have deleted it, but it wasn't me. I was only saying that if an authoritarian government is the only way for the US to keep its superpower status, then the US will fall behind, because there's no way for that to work.

My bad, Modern Nomad stated that, under a post of yours. :doh:

I wasn't hating on it, just pointing out that it is a smaller part of the problem than others. :newwink:

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
My bad, Modern Nomad stated that, under a post of yours. :doh:

I wasn't hating on it, just pointing out that it is a smaller part of the problem than others. :newwink:

Citizens being able to collectively make smart choices is much more important than the type of democratic flavor you have.

Sometimes though, I think a lot of people in our country has a mild form of mad cow disease already.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Their strength is their weakness. Like Russia (now well endowed with petroleum) China doesn't care about (1) the environment, or (2) human rights. Sure, they can grow as fast as they need to and screw everyone over in the process, but that type of growth is unsustainable in the long run.

Uh... Since when does the United States care about the environment?
Yours are the oil companies who retard and buy up alternative fuel research and puts them on ice.
Yours are the companies destroying rainforests in South America.
You drive big cars, and you have many of them.
There are lots of Fossil Fuel power plants in the United States as well, and you are one of the biggest, if not the biggest energy consumer in the world.
About 50% of the United States power needs are met with coal power.

Energy consumption and GDP per capita

Energy_consumption_versus_GDP.png

If you take greenhouse gas emissions per capita without land-use change, the United States ends up on 7th place in the world.
Russia is in at 18th place and China at *drumroll* 72nd!

List of countries by greenhouse gas emissions per capita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you take land-use change into account, they all look better.
The United States goes down to 14th place in the world.
Russia is on 33rd place.
China is on 121st place.

See?

I really like you, dude, but don't throw stones sitting in that glass house.
I know the United States is trying to make efforts, but they aren't any better than the Chinese or Russian efforts.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
The green movement here needs protection. It's a tiny little seedling and it needs love and care, but no, Americans hate it, Americans run over it with their big gas-guzzing destroying SUVs because they all hate it and want to kill it before it starts. Bad, bad Americans. I'm sure our new Chinese overlords will do a much better job than anything the American overlords have ever done :coffee:

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
The green movement here needs protection. It's a tiny little seedling and it needs love and care, but no, Americans hate it, Americans run over it with their big gas-guzzing destroying SUVs because they all hate it and want to kill it before it starts. Bad, bad Americans. I'm sure our new Chinese overlords will do a much better job than anything the American overlords have ever done :coffee:

California is pretty cutting edge when it comes to green movement. In several ways, more advanced than europe or developed asia.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Uh... Since when does the United States care about the environment?
Yours are the oil companies who retard and buy up alternative fuel research and puts them on ice.
Yours are the companies destroying rainforests in South America.
You drive big cars, and you have many of them.
There are lots of Fossil Fuel power plants in the United States as well, and you are one of the biggest, if not the biggest energy consumer in the world.
About 50% of the United States power needs are met with coal power.

Energy consumption and GDP per capita

If you take greenhouse gas emissions per capita without land-use change, the United States ends up on 7th place in the world.
Russia is in at 18th place and China at *drumroll* 72nd!

If you take land-use change into account, they all look better.
The United States goes down to 14th place in the world.
Russia is on 33rd place.
China is on 121st place.

See?

Things don't work that way, YLJ. Also, if your grandma had balls, she would be your grandpa.

The reason China's energy consumption per capita is lower than that of the US is because 90% of Chinese population are poor peasants who live in huts, eat grass sandwiches, and shit in a ditch... NOT because China has better environmental standards. If you want to see how Chinese govt feels about the environment, try visiting their country. You will start chocking on the smog as soon as the plane lands, and you won't be able to take a single solid shit because all the food and water supply is poisoned. And this with only tiny fraction of China being industrialized... and its growing daily.

US can certainly make improvements to the way energy is used (i.e. getting over its paranoia of nuclear power and stop giving tax cuts to SUV owners), but comparing Chinese environmental standards to that of the American ones is like comparing John Holmes' dick to Gary Coleman's pinky finger.

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
China - the way forward, it most definitely seems.

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
A few thoughts:

China is cognizant of the need for a clean environment. Around 20% of their energy comes from Hydro. However its balanced against the need to keep the economy rolling forward. They need this because historically and today, Chinese rulers were/are scared shitless of the people, of uprising. So back in the 1980s, an unspoken agreement was brokered with chinese public and government; they give up their freedoms if China guarantees huge economic growth.

China inflates the dollar so they have a steady place to export so they can give manufacturing growth/jobs to Chinese people to placate them.

The U.S. does have a bunch of lazy fucks. However, because we are a nation of immigrants, we have unique advantages no other country has. We have unparalleled creativity that comes from diversity. We also have adaptability. Americans will go to any place in the country(arguably the world) or change any skill set they need to get a job or advance. The adaptability that is required for the American Dream is what makes us strong.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A few thoughts:

China is cognizant of the need for a clean environment. Around 20% of their energy comes from Hydro. However its balanced against the need to keep the economy rolling forward. They need this because historically and today, Chinese rulers were/are scared shitless of the people, of uprising. So back in the 1980s, an unspoken agreement was brokered with chinese public and government; they give up their freedoms if China guarantees huge economic growth.

China inflates the dollar so they have a steady place to export so they can give manufacturing growth/jobs to Chinese people to placate them.

The U.S. does have a bunch of lazy fucks. However, because we are a nation of immigrants, we have unique advantages no other country has. We have unparalleled creativity that comes from diversity. We also have adaptability. Americans will go to any place in the country(arguably the world) or change any skill set they need to get a job or advance. The adaptability that is required for the American Dream is what makes us strong.

Nice! :nice:

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
Coincidentally, just reading this from Tommy Friedman:

President Obama’s visit to China this week inevitably invites comparisons between the world’s two leading powers. You know what they say: Britain owned the 19th century, America owned the 20th century, and, it’s all but certain that China will own the 21st century. Maybe, but I’m not ready to cede the 21st century to China just yet.

Why not? It has to do with the fact that we are moving into a hyperintegrated world in which all aspects of production — raw materials, design, manufacturing, distribution, fulfillment, financing and branding — have become commodities that can be accessed from anywhere by anyone. But there are still two really important things that can’t be commoditized. Fortunately, America still has one of them: imagination.

What your citizens imagine now matters more than ever because they can act on their own imaginations farther, faster, deeper and cheaper than ever before — as individuals. In such a world, societies that can nurture people with the ability to imagine and spin off new ideas will thrive. The Apple iPod may be made in China, but it was dreamed up in America, and that’s where most of the profits go. America — with its open, free, no-limits, immigrant-friendly society — is still the world’s greatest dream machine.

Yada yada yada............

LEGERdeMAIN

not for long. wait until the chinese start noodleboarding everyone....then you'r precious dreams will be shattered, like a fortune cookie at the bottom of a take-out bag....muahahhaha, muahahahha, muahahahha. haha. imaginATion, yayayyy. Go america(usa)

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
Yes, the USA has

spongebob-imagination.jpg

IMAGINAAAAATION.

From wikipedia:

Creator Stephen Hillenburg initally conceived SpongeBob SquarePants in 1984, while he was teaching and studying marine biology at what is now the Orange County Ocean Institute. During his period, Hillenburg became fascinated in animation, and wrote a comic book entitled The Intertidal Zone starring various anthropomorphic forms of sea life, many of which would evolve into SpongBob SquarePants characters. In 1987, Hillenburg left the institute to pursue his dream of becoming an animator. Later on in 1992, Hillenburg began to attend the California Institute of the Arts to study animation, where he made his thesis film entitled Wormholes. In 1993, Hillenburg graduated from the institute, earning a Master of Fine Arts in experimental animation.

China TV audiences are soaking up SpongeBob SquarePants.(Asia's television industry is talking about ...)(Brief article) | Television Asia | Find Articles at BNET

China TV audiences are soaking up SpongeBob SquarePants. Since debuting in China on CCTV kids' channel 14 on January 29th, SpongeBob SquarePants has catapulted to the number position in China across all cartoon programs in just 4 weeks. 35% of Spongebob's audience are aged 4-9 years old, with 24-34 year old viewers following not far behind at 25%. Measuring 11 cities across the country, the top cities tuning into the porous one are Chongqing with an average 11.4 rating, Tianjin with an average rating of 11.4, Chengdu with an average rating of 4.3, Hangzhou with an average rating of 4.7 and Beijing with an average rating of 4.4.

I'll see if I can find some figures on revenue generated.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Things don't work that way, YLJ. Also, if your grandma had balls, she would be your grandpa.

The reason China's energy consumption per capita is lower than that of the US is because 90% of Chinese population are poor peasants who live in huts, eat grass sandwiches, and shit in a ditch... NOT because China has better environmental standards. If you want to see how Chinese govt feels about the environment, try visiting their country. You will start chocking on the smog as soon as the plane lands, and you won't be able to take a single solid shit because all the food and water supply is poisoned. And this with only tiny fraction of China being industrialized... and its growing daily.

Actually thats not true, we are half-industrialized already. Maybe you confused africa with china?

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
I may have gotten a little too gung ho with the percentages.

Anyway, my point is that when it comes to industrialization, China still has a lot of room to grow.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
However, because we are a nation of immigrants, we have unique advantages no other country has. We have unparalleled creativity that comes from diversity. We also have adaptability. Americans will go to any place in the country(arguably the world) or change any skill set they need to get a job or advance. The adaptability that is required for the American Dream is what makes us strong.

:sick:

That explains why I don't comprehend America. I'm looking for a structure to help me find a job in order to survive, but all I'm getting is a bunch of nonsense about "knowing what I want," and "pushing for it." There's no coherent structure, the whole thing is chaotic and based on people chasing after ridiculous dreams, not knowing what the hell they're doing.

What kind of madmen can survive in such ambiguity? I almost think prison would be better...

I'm not cut out to be an American. I don't know where I belong... but it's somewhere where they've actually got established ways of doing things that aren't so dependent on knowing your own will and fighting hard. It may be a great country, but it's not great for people like me. It's for people who have big dreams, strong wills, loads of ambition, and want freedom above all. That's not me.

I want to find some place where you're allowed to contribute to a system in exchange for the goods needed to survive, and it's not overly difficult to get into a position to contribute to said system. But apparently that's too much to ask.

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
:sick:

That explains why I don't comprehend America. I'm looking for a structure to help me find a job in order to survive, but all I'm getting is a bunch of nonsense about "knowing what I want," and "pushing for it." There's no coherent structure, the whole thing is chaotic and based on people chasing after ridiculous dreams, not knowing what the hell they're doing.

What kind of madmen can survive in such ambiguity? I almost think prison would be better...

I'm not cut out to be an American. I don't know where I belong... but it's somewhere where they've actually got established ways of doing things that aren't so dependent on knowing your own will and fighting hard. It may be a great country, but it's not great for people like me. It's for people who have big dreams, strong wills, loads of ambition, and want freedom above all. That's not me.

I want to find some place where you're allowed to contribute to a system in exchange for the goods needed to survive, and it's not overly difficult to get into a position to contribute to said system. But apparently that's too much to ask.

We have that also. You trade your dreams for stability. Self actualization for security.

You can't expect to get an Art degree and become successful without hustling a little. No such thing as stable art jobs, well maybe teachers.

Major in Nursing, Engineering, Accounting. Find a niche.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
I'd say the chinese system is not a lot better than americans in selecting the cream of the crop the rule.

Says the guy with the equivalent of Hitler in his avatar, Mao.