• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is Life to you?

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Feel free to be as cliche as you like. No judgments will be made by me and hopefully no other posters.

I kind of think that we're meant to take a lot of shit in life. People process on different levels, but nonetheless, we all have our own set of problems unique to our existences. I vow not to take an optimistic or pessimistic approach. Thus, I believe life has it's highs and it's lows. From the highest mountain to the lowest trench, the whole spectrum of emotional, physical, and mental dilemmas is apart of our life.

But that's only half of the process. Somewhere in our existence we acquired the "what can't kill makes us stronger" concept. And it works. The more and more we take on, the rougher the seas, the more and more we can cope with. Because these experiences birth the emotional and mental strength that is necessary to press on. The more we handle, the more we can
handle. The stuff we do and go through pushes our mental capacity every chance it gets. These obstacles should be looked as lessons to be learned..but that doesn't mean we can't fall. It takes will power to get up again. But, in the grand scheme of things, our little problems are less significant than we see them as. If we can embrace this theory, we're given strength to move on.

A Zen Buddhist put it simply: You can't have light without darkness. I'd love to believe life was that simple.

What do you think?

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I go back and forth on this one.

I wonder how much people like bigs ups and downs because "that makes big waves, and waves are fun!" vs the value of a certain levelness or easy-going acceptance.

I think the last one is very Taoist. On some technical level, I think a dissatisfactin with ups and downs, or in certain ways just the downs is an/the entrance point to Buddhism. More to the point, knowing that there will always be downs to everything, including things you thought would be positive [and were, but whats goes up most come down, or ying within the yang and vice versa]. "All life is dukha" "There is way out of dukha" "The buddha taught the way out of dukha" and whatever the 4th noble truth of Buddhism is [I know it, but its not coming to me right now; "All things are dukha because they are conditioned and transitory and ephemeral. All phenomena are conditioned and nothing is independent or eternal"???]

Eruca

78% me
MBTI Type
INxx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A series of unfortunate events.

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Life is the battleground where you get to choose between good and evil.

Zoom

Self sustaining supernova
Enneagram
9w8
A smithy to forge myself in through fire, to be remade and sharpened till my edges gleam.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
You may find yourself living in a shotgun shack
You may find yourself in another part of the world
You may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile
You may find yourself in a beautiful house, with a beautiful wife
You may ask yourself: well... how did I get here?

Letting the days go by/let the water hold me down
Letting the days go by/water flowing underground
Into the blue again/after the money's gone
Once in a lifetime/water flowing underground

You may ask yourself
How do I work this?
You may ask yourself
Where is that large automobile?
You may tell yourself
This is not my beautiful house!
You may tell yourself
This is not my beautiful wife!

Same as it ever was... Same as it ever was...

Water dissolving... and water removing
There is water... at the bottom of the ocean
Remove the water
Carry the water
Remove the water from the bottom of the ocean

Into the blue again/into the silent water
Under the rocks and stones/there is water underground
Letting the days go by/into the silent water

You may ask yourself
What is that beautiful house?
You may ask yourself
Where does that highway lead to?
You may ask yourself
Am I right?... Am I wrong?
You may say to yourself
My God!... what have I done?

Talking Heads/Once in a Lifetime

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Santtu has written a post about life being a game of civilization IV where you've got to win a domination victory.
This has made me think about how I see life.

Life is a game of civilization where you try to win. You can win in a lot of ways. I'm trying to win the cultural or space race victory - not sure which one. Probably I'll forget my army at some point and lose the game. But I enjoy it very much.

capricorn009

That is true. Sometimes I wonder why I was given talents or intellect I can't
go very far with in my surroundings, but life hasn't succeeded in squishing that
enthusiasm yet because there's been a lot of things in life I've fought tooth
and nail to resolve that a lot of people have either walked away from or pushed
it under the rug and pretended it never happened. I've learned that you can't
forget about life and what actually IS happening in the process of wanting what
you want to happen and trying to make it happen.

Mole

Permabanned
What do you think?

As an old inuit woman lay dying, she said she was grateful that life had stormed through her. And of course we don't live life, life lives us.

We like to think we live life and that we are in control. And we reach for anything that we think will give us control like MBTI. But two things remain remarkably constant - culture and personality.

The best we can do is listen to what culture and personality are telling us.

Cultures are gathered into civilizations. And today we only have three. The Indian civilization, the Chinese civilization and the Western civilization.

And today these three civilizations are imploding together through the electronic media, the noosphere.

And our personalities are imploding together through the handmaiden of the noosphere, the internet.

So we can expect some fireworks and surprises.

For instance neither Russia nor Arabia are part of the Indian or Chinese civilization so surprisingly, they are part of Western civilization. And why should we be surprised as Russian is Russian Orthodox christian and Arabia consists of People of the Book.

And mothers note that babies are not born tabula rasa, but each baby is born with their own personality which remains constant for life.

So life is the interaction of these two constants, culture and personality.

And guess what - the hallmark of the internet is interaction.

And as I reply, I am interacting - I am no longer a lone actor, I am an interactor.

tibby

MBTI Type
fool
I think Hesse pretty much nailed it in Steppenwolf, in both Harry and Hermine. They're the same of the different side of the coin.

Life is pointless if you can't find humour.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'll post my thoughts on this after, or during, the next time I'm on philosopher stones. :)

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I think it's something that generally exists to be endured but is preferable to the alternative.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Jaguar: this quote from this one song came to mind.

"And if I claimed to be a wiseman, it'd surely mean that I don't know"
-Kansas

Basically, we all search for wisdom, but like a well trying to quench it's thirst, we'll never truly be fullfilled. Up until the very last day, man..

Jaguar

Jaguar: this quote from this one song came to mind.

"And if I claimed to be a wiseman, it'd surely mean that I don't know"
-Kansas

Basically, we all search for wisdom, but like a well trying to quench it's thirst, we'll never truly be fullfilled. Up until the very last day, man..

You are way too young to know that song. :newwink:
Good words.