• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Burqa

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
My point (perhaps I could have worded it better in my previous post) is that the Burqa is not in itself a big problem, but the Islamic interpretations and cultural practices (the latter is justified through the former, not vise versa) ...

So the cultural preference is based on a religious "interpretation". Where would the source be for this. We're going round in circles, buddy.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
1.) Catholic nuns are an exclusive group that one chooses to join, not something half of the population is born into.

Irrelevant to the point you make, which is the garb is specific to one group (ie Muslims), which it is not.

2.) Catholic nuns don't cover their faces.

Neither do most Muslim women. Your generalisation underscores your fundamental misunderstanding between religion and culture.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
So the cultural preference is based on a religious "interpretation".

Not necessarily BASED on a religious interpretation originally (they pre-date Islam), but the continued use of burqa's and their equivalents is JUSTIFIED on the basis of Islamic interpretations, yes.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
Irrelevant to the point you make, which is the garb is specific to one group (ie Muslims), which it is not.

Neither do most Muslim women. Your generalisation underscores your fundamental misunderstanding between religion and culture.

1.) I qualified my statement with the word "virtually," and I consider the fact that the nun outfit is a uniform specific to a relatively small and voluntary religious profession to be quite relevant.

2.) I also said most orthodox Muslims think the hijab is enough; the Burqa covers the face completely, while the veil (as in the Arabian Peninsula) covers most of it.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
Not necessarily BASED on a religious interpretation originally (they pre-date Islam), but the continued use of burqa's and their equivalents is JUSTIFIED on the basis of Islamic interpretations, yes.

I think you'll find there are differing schools of thought on this.

All forms of religious "covering up" are, in fact, prohibited within the state apparatus in Turkey, for example; but in Saudi Arabia women are not even allowed to drive.

Sweeping statements regarding what interpretations are JUSTIFIED (ur caps) are blatently untrue as both Saudi Arabia and Turkey, being populated by Sunni Muslims, have manifestly different interpretations on this issue alone. Just as an example.

I don't see the dress issue as a fair form of attack at all. All reasonable forms of attack against Islam are equally plausible against Christianity.

Criticism of a dress code will never be anything other than bleating about a patriachial society you do not understand and very little to do with whatever religion happens to be incidentally associated with it.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
1.) I qualified my statement with the word "virtually," and I consider the fact that the nun outfit is a uniform specific to a relatively small and voluntary religious profession to be quite relevant.

2.) I also said most orthodox Muslims think the hijab is enough; the Burqa covers the face completely, while the veil (as in the Arabian Peninsula) covers most of it.

Well, this is what happens when you put religion in the hands of people who abuse it for their own ends. The odd witch here and there seems a bit remote these days.

Incidently, if the burqa is "pre-islamic", as you assert, then your previous assertion (that religion validates a cultural norm) needs to be proven.

I've asked you twice to provide the connection, but both times you've waffled. The reason you cannot do this is because it is not there.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
The reason you cannot do this is because it is not there.

The reasons I haven't is because its a huge pain in the ass, kind of like providing evidence to a young-earth creationist as to why his beliefs are blatantly false; you're essentially asking me to provide documentation of the (disputed) religious justifications for the burqa-which you apparently did not even realize covered the entire face-and its equivalents from prominent imams and/or the Islamic universities in which they graduated, then explain why that matters, and then provide evidence that the reasons as to why it matters are valid, all from a combination of sources that are either buried among thousands of printed pages left over from my university days, inside library books I read years ago, or buried within internet sites that I would have to find, and then prove the veracity of.

Frankly, I would rather go back to playing Star Ocean: The Second Story.

But before I do, how about providing evidence toward your assertion that all reasonable forms of attack against Islam are equally plausible against Christianity? Be sure to reference comparative scripture and explain the reasons behind the differing interpretation methodologies of the same, and provide documentation of the latter. You know, since its so quick and easy to do that.

Edit: For quick supporting evidence "from the horses mouth" as it were, check out IslamOnline.net- Islamic News, Shari'ah, Society, Family, Culture, Science, Youth, and Health

Last edited:

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
It was pitiful as her face was fully covered with the burqa and she was trying to push food up under the burqa.

And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire.:)

Matthew 18:9

Matthew 18 King James Bible

:jew: