• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Where does this great evil come from?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
What assumption would that be?

Well, your assumption is that all bullshit is self-evident, like the color red. My assumption is that sometimes an explanation is necessary to show others why something is bullshit.

I mean, I will admit that you might just be smarter than me so it's always obvious to you. But it's not always obvious to everyone.

I quoted your post because it was obnoxious and ridiculous-- not because I liked it.

Well, I was replying to an obnoxious and ridiculous post.

G

Ginkgo

We're all hypocrites.

You're a hypocrite for calling us hypocrites you hypocrite.

Why are we making presumptions that there are such things as pure objective evil and pure objective good?

Just on a side note- I have speculated that the concept of "evil" is derived from the fear of the unfamiliar, while the concept of "good" is derived from the comfort of the known. At least on a personal subjective level.

Another theory is that "evil" is defined by the cons of a decisions outweighing the pros, while good is defined by the converse.

In the scope of societal behavior, it would seem that anything that is beneficial to the common welfare of civilization is labeled as "good". On the other hand, anything that is selfish or harmful to society is labeled as "evil".

It is not equatable to compare the good-evil spectrum to the light-dark spectrum; for good and evil reflect the substance of humane choice, while light and dark are irrelevant to anything of the sort.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Good questions. Let's start with the science and move into the parallels after...

"white is the combination of all the colors of the visible light spectrum. If all the wavelengths of the visible light spectrum give the appearance of white, then none of the wavelengths would lead to the appearance of black. Once more, black is not actually a color. Technically speaking, black is merely the absence of the wavelengths of the visible light spectrum. "
-The Electromagnetic and Visible Spectra

When you look up into the sky at night, most of what you see is space. When people hear the word space they often think about being in an environment like my astronaut avatar. If you think about it, what is space? It is literally just that, space in it's purest form. If someone tried to give me a free couch, I'd have to tell them I couldn't take it because I don't have enough floor space--I don't have enough nothing to add something. Technically, this isn't pure space, because it is occupied by atmospheric gases, which are also something. This is why space is considered a vacuum (compared to our pressurized atmosphere) because molecules naturally disperse from an area of high density to little or no density.

Oh well, it was probably covered with mystery stains and smelled like stale Doritos. Anyways, if space is absolute nothingness, then the vast black night sky is mostly nothing. It looks like it could be something, because we can replicate the color black on an object or paper and still touch and feel it. Considering all of this, does it make sense to refer to darkness as something rather than nothing? Does it make sense to say you are observing darkness rather than an absence of light? Similarly, we must define other things in relation to what is rather than what it is not. 1+1=2. It would take me an eternity to tell you every number 1+1 does not equal. Once we recognize that there is only a single right answer to any question then we can begin to classify everything else in relation to that.

"But Circle, haven't you heard there is more than one way to skin a cat?" Yes, there is more than one way of accomplishing something, but that is like saying there is more than one answers that are "pretty close" to a complex math problem. You can find the right answer through trying other answers that are wrong, but to seek wrong answers on purpose will in no way help you reach the right one any faster.

Dark and light do not "balance" each other out. There is what is [right, true, good] and what is not. What is cannot equal what is not, 1=/=0. Balance is only obtained through equal amounts of what exists. Also, I think the belief that we are in a state of universal balance or will ever reach one is the greatest assumption of all.

If black is the absence of visible wavelengths, then why is it you can look through a drive in movie projector beam at the night sky and see black? You are looking straight through light and see black. So what exactly is black as its not the absence of visible wavelengths, black is pure observation. Black depends on your eyes and has nothing to do with wavelengths being present or not. Black is more of a facade as we cant see what is really present. Just like good can be a facade for evil and evil can be a facade for good.

The bolded part only applies to what is not known, we are not talking about what is not known. We are referring to what is known, the best way to trouble shoot anything that is known is to observe what is wrong. How do you solve a problem by focusing on what is right?

I agree with you, but I will say you are looking at this from the wrong perspective. You are looking as an INTP instead of an ISTP. You see you are not solving a problem. You are finding the right way, you are looking forward. An ISTP is a reverse engineer, we are problem solvers and we do this by looking at what is wrong. We will look evil straight in the eye while an INTP will find what is right, we will find what is wrong. Do you know what you find when you look evil straight in the eye? What you find is not what you expect, what you find will haunt you, what you will find is a logical reason. A logical reason that anyone in this world can reach. If you never look evil in the eye all you are doing is redirecting it, not actually fixing the logical reason behind the evil. You are not solving the reason, you are creating something else.

ISTPs are trumped by INTPs when what is wrong outweighs what is right, we will trump an INTP when what is right outweighs what is wrong. You see if something has more wrongs we have more things to look at where as if something has less wrongs we have less to look at.

edit: if you dont look at evil you are not really seeing what is

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
You're a hypocrite for calling us hypocrites you hypocrite.

Why are we making presumptions that there are such things as pure objective evil and pure objective good?

Just on a side note- I have speculated that the concept of "evil" is derived from the fear of the unfamiliar, while the concept of "good" is derived from the comfort of the known. At least on a personal subjective level.

Another theory is that "evil" is defined by the cons of a decisions outweighing the pros, while good is defined by the converse.

In the scope of societal behavior, it would seem that anything that is beneficial to the common welfare of civilization is labeled as "good". On the other hand, anything that is selfish or harmful to society is labeled as "evil".

It is not equatable to compare the good-evil spectrum to the light-dark spectrum; for good and evil reflect the substance of humane choice, while light and dark are irrelevant to anything of the sort.

You're missing my point.

We mean well and we say the right things,

but in the end, a lot of people are in it for themselves. Which is where the basis for this whole problem lays.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
People tend to have a public face and a private face. The public face serves as a barrier -- to keep the predictable in and the unpredictable out. Evil is the product of the public face going from independent to parasitic.

It's about time.

Thanks.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
Well, your assumption is that all bullshit is self-evident...

Really? Please expand.

I mean, I will admit that you might just be smarter than me so it's always obvious to you. But it's not always obvious to everyone.

Oh dear.

Listen. It's not your fucking thread. Don't butt in and tell the OP to butt out.

The esoteric nature should have given you a clue.

The subject is irrelevant.

And don't try that you're cleverer than me horseshit again, BTW. You sound like a (sarcastic) professional victim.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
This whole thread is rhetorical. I'm ranting. I'm being a little bitch. Like or hate it, I could care less.

G

Ginkgo

You're missing my point.

We mean well and we say the right things,

but in the end, a lot of people are in it for themselves. Which is where the basis for this whole problem lays.

We're all in it for ourselves.

For instance: You may preach to others about morality because you genuinely care about others' well-being. However, YOU are the one who cares. Caring for others gives you comfort. Thus, you are fulfilling your own selfish desires by being selfless.

Life is a rat race, no matter what angle you look at it from.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Oh!

Well, I missed that. I thought you were serious.

Never mind, then.

I am serious. In a way..

This whole thread is completely serious.

But it's alright, I guess I didn't consider the fact that people may take it different ways. Sorry if I was mean, too, I feel bad for grumpin' around.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
We're all in it for ourselves.

For instance: You may preach to others about morality because you genuinely care about others' well-being. However, YOU are the one who cares. Caring for others gives you comfort. Thus, you are fulfilling your own selfish desires by being selfless.

Life is a rat race, no matter what angle you look at it from.

Hence why I said "We're all hypocrites."

We're all hypocrites.

I'm not in denial. And I'm not excluding myself.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I am serious. In a way..

This whole thread is completely serious.

But it's alright, I guess I didn't consider the fact that people may take it different ways. Sorry if I was mean, too, I feel bad for grumpin' around.

:hug:

It's okay. I feel bad, too. I shouldn't have called you out in your own thread.

I mean, you were looking for a particular response and no one was getting it. That could be frustrating.

I suppose looking back now, it seems like what you were really asking was, "What kind of things do we see as evil, and what is the purpose of it?" rather than "What causes us to see things as evil?" I mean, the latter could easily be construed as being a frame of mind, but it doesn't tell us what it means.

So since we mostly responded with varying degrees of sophism about the nature of good and evil, when you wanted an answer that was relevent in context of the assumption that the concept of evil had an inherent meaning that could tell us about human nature, it was bullshit.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Perhaps it is because we are the wimpiest of the apes and cannot survive independently. We have no fur, claws, fangs, our skin is thin and easily given to rashes, and our muscles are only a fraction as strong as our cousins even in the most powerful of our kind. Because of this human beings have an insecurity that resonates at their core and so their outlook is primarily defensive and over-reactive.

That's all assuming human evolution were reality^. Where's the skeletal ape/human remains?