• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Where does this great evil come from?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think this is backwards. Dark is the abscence of light, it is not itself substantial. It is a romanticization of evil to say good and evil are balancing forces, like yin and yang. There is what is good, what is true, what is right, or the abscence of it. :smoke:

But if the sky is dark and we have light on earth how do the rays travel from the sun to the earth? Or is it that darkness is a mere observation caused by the lack of an object for the light to bounce off of. So you can have darkness that is substantial, just not observational.:smoke:

foolish heart

MBTI Type
ISTP
BOr is it that darkness is a mere observation caused by the lack of an object for the light to bounce off of.

Darkness is something we are able to observe only when contrasted by light, because it is the lack of light. Darkness is nothing.

For every right answer, there is a nearly infinite amount of wrong answers. For every thing that exists, there is a nearly infinite amount that does not.

It is foolish to ponder nothing instead of something. Likewise, to ponder what is dark, evil, wrong, or false leads is also foolish.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Darkness is something we are able to observe only when contrasted by light, because it is the lack of light. Darkness is nothing.

For every right answer, there is a nearly infinite amount of wrong answers. For every thing that is, there is a nearly infinite amount that is not.

It is foolish to ponder nothing instead of something. Likewise, to ponder what is dark, evil, wrong, or false leads only to foolishness.

We are only able to understand darkness when it is contrasted by light. For if we didnt have light we would not know any different. But that does not mean we can only observe darkness because we have light.

To ponder what is dark, evil, wrong, or false leads you to the light, good, right, true from a different perspective. This is yin and yang.

edit: im having fun, INTP vs ISTP :), but I gotta go

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think this is backwards. Dark is the abscence of light, it is not itself substantial. It is a romanticization of evil to say good and evil are balancing forces, like yin and yang. There is what is good, what is true, what is right, or the abscence of it. :smoke:

i was saying what is light without dark...how do you recognize it w/o the contrast?

eta: oh...so poki just said that kinda never mind.

LEGERdeMAIN

It's obvious that the OP needs to clarify what evil is before a discussion on where it comes from can commence.

Otherwise, I agree with the Frenchie.

foolish heart

MBTI Type
ISTP
We are only able to understand darkness when it is contrasted by light. For if we didnt have light we would not know any different. But that does not mean we can only observe darkness because we have light.
i was saying what is light without dark...how do you recognize it w/o the contrast?

Good questions. Let's start with the science and move into the parallels after...

"white is the combination of all the colors of the visible light spectrum. If all the wavelengths of the visible light spectrum give the appearance of white, then none of the wavelengths would lead to the appearance of black. Once more, black is not actually a color. Technically speaking, black is merely the absence of the wavelengths of the visible light spectrum. "
-The Electromagnetic and Visible Spectra

When you look up into the sky at night, most of what you see is space. When people hear the word space they often think about being in an environment like my astronaut avatar. If you think about it, what is space? It is literally just that, space in it's purest form. If someone tried to give me a free couch, I'd have to tell them I couldn't take it because I don't have enough floor space--I don't have enough nothing to add something. Technically, this isn't pure space, because it is occupied by atmospheric gases, which are also something. This is why space is considered a vacuum (compared to our pressurized atmosphere) because molecules naturally disperse from an area of high density to little or no density.

Oh well, it was probably covered with mystery stains and smelled like stale Doritos. Anyways, if space is absolute nothingness, then the vast black night sky is mostly nothing. It looks like it could be something, because we can replicate the color black on an object or paper and still touch and feel it. Considering all of this, does it make sense to refer to darkness as something rather than nothing? Does it make sense to say you are observing darkness rather than an absence of light? Similarly, we must define other things in relation to what is rather than what it is not. 1+1=2. It would take me an eternity to tell you every number 1+1 does not equal. Once we recognize that there is only a single right answer to any question then we can begin to classify everything else in relation to that.

To ponder what is dark, evil, wrong, or false leads you to the light, good, right, true from a different perspective. This is yin and yang.

"But Circle, haven't you heard there is more than one way to skin a cat?" Yes, there is more than one way of accomplishing something, but that is like saying there is more than one answers that are "pretty close" to a complex math problem. You can find the right answer through trying other answers that are wrong, but to seek wrong answers on purpose will in no way help you reach the right one any faster.

Dark and light do not "balance" each other out. There is what is [right, true, good] and what is not. What is cannot equal what is not, 1=/=0. Balance is only obtained through equal amounts of what exists. Also, I think the belief that we are in a state of universal balance or will ever reach one is the greatest assumption of all.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Good questions. Let's start with the science and move into the parallels after...

"white is the combination of all the colors of the visible light spectrum. If all the wavelengths of the visible light spectrum give the appearance of white, then none of the wavelengths would lead to the appearance of black. Once more, black is not actually a color. Technically speaking, black is merely the absence of the wavelengths of the visible light spectrum. "
-The Electromagnetic and Visible Spectra

When you look up into the sky at night, most of what you see is space. When people hear the word space they often think about being in an environment like my astronaut avatar. If you think about it, what is space? It is literally just that, space in it's purest form. If someone tried to give me a free couch, I'd have to tell them I couldn't take it because I don't have enough floor space--I don't have enough nothing to add something. Technically, this isn't pure space, because it is occupied by atmospheric gases, which are also something. This is why space is considered a vacuum (compared to our pressurized atmosphere) because molecules naturally disperse from an area of high density to little or no density.

Oh well, it was probably covered with mystery stains and smelled like stale Doritos. Anyways, if space is absolute nothingness, then the vast black night sky is mostly nothing. It looks like it could be something, because we can replicate the color black on an object or paper and still touch and feel it. Considering all of this, does it make sense to refer to darkness as something rather than nothing? Does it make sense to say you are observing darkness rather than an absence of light? Similarly, we must define other things in relation to what is rather than what it is not. 1+1=2. It would take me an eternity to tell you every number 1+1 does not equal. Once we recognize that there is only a single right answer to any question then we can begin to classify everything else in relation to that.

"But Circle, haven't you heard there is more than one way to skin a cat?" Yes, there is more than one way of accomplishing something, but that is like saying there is more than one answers that are "pretty close" to a complex math problem. You can find the right answer through trying other answers that are wrong, but to seek wrong answers on purpose will in no way help you reach the right one any faster.

Dark and light do not "balance" each other out. There is what is [right, true, good] and what is not. What is cannot equal what is not, 1=/=0. Balance is only obtained through equal amounts of what exists. Also, I think the belief that we are in a state of universal balance or will ever reach one is the greatest assumption of all.

i agree completely...darkness is absence of light yep...nice post. :)

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

Well, then it seems to me that if you won't even try to explain your position and you're just going to make arbitrary assertions, YOU'RE the one spouting bullshit.

Either make an effort at telling us where YOU think the evil comes from, or just stay out of it. You don't have any right to judge our answers when you haven't even attempted to create one of your own. Intellectually lazy wop.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
Either make an effort at telling us where YOU think the evil comes from, or just stay out of it.

This sounds like a demand. How very matriarchal.

You don't have any right to judge our answers when you haven't even attempted to create one of your own.

I disagree. The smell of bullshit needs no explanation.

Welcome to your own trap.

Jaguar

Well, then it seems to me that if you won't even try to explain your position and you're just going to make arbitrary assertions, YOU'RE the one spouting bullshit.

Either make an effort at telling us where YOU think the evil comes from, or just stay out of it. You don't have any right to judge our answers when you haven't even attempted to create one of your own. Intellectually lazy wop.

Quoting your post, so there is a record of it.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I disagree. The smell of bullshit needs no explanation.

Welcome to your own trap.

Well, I would disagree that there's such a thing as the "smell of bullshit," and that a person who calls it has no need to explain themselves.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. We're starting from different assumptions.

Quoting your post, so there is a record of it.

Thank you, but I had no plans to edit it. I was serious. I meant what I said.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Perhaps it is because we are the wimpiest of the apes and cannot survive independently. We have no fur, claws, fangs, our skin is thin and easily given to rashes, and our muscles are only a fraction as strong as our cousins even in the most powerful of our kind. Because of this human beings have an insecurity that resonates at their core and so their outlook is primarily defensive and over-reactive.

What she said :/

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
People tend to have a public face and a private face. The public face serves as a barrier -- to keep the predictable in and the unpredictable out. Evil is the product of the public face going from independent to parasitic.