• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Spillover from "Share Your Spiritual Beliefs" Thread

Mole

Permabanned
Believe it or not I do believe in God. I grew up in a more pentecostal environment, some might label "holy rollers. It was mostly filled with SJ's and SP's, and NF's

I always have believed in God, though at times I've had my doubts about it which is of course normal.

I take a very rational approach to it, which is not surprising given my mbti type. I've been pretty interested in the apologetics (rational arguments for Christianity) of their theology. I've looked into other philosophies, and religions and decided they weren't for me.

So you believe in the Trinity for rational reasons and don't believe in Zeus or Poseidon for rational reasons.

So as far as Zeus or Poseidon are concerned, you are an atheist. But as far as the Trinity is concerned, you are a theist.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mole

Permabanned
Deracinated

I'm open minded to the possibility of anything, I'm very curious and want to find out more about our history, the universe and more

Nothing is "solid" for me unless there is undeniable proof

Some have called me agnostic, I prefer to say I just don't have a religion though

Of the six thousand million or so in the world, almost all received their religion at their mother's knee.

So almost all of six thousand million people have received their religion without any kind of critical thought whatsoever.

And if I understand you, this has been denied to you.

And as there has never been a civilization not based on a religion, your patrimony has been denied to you.

So if I understand you, you have been shut out of the most fundamental part of your civilization.

You have been deracinated.

Mole

Permabanned
Spillover from "I Believe in God" Thread

It is possible to acknowledge other Gods while adhering to your own.

So my dear innocent Amargith, do you worship the Trinity and Zeus and Poseidon and perhaps Krishna and Allah as well.

In your innocence Amargith, is there any god you won't worship?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So my dear innocent Amargith, do you worship the Trinity and Zeus and Poseidon and perhaps Krishna and Allah as well.

In your innocence Amargith, is there any god you won't worship?

There's a difference between worship and acknowledgement.

Mole

Permabanned
I believe in God. I believe Jesus is that God.
I don't believe in religion.

Believing is Jesus and the Gospel is not indicative of being religious.

Alas dear Argus, it was the religion called Christianity that has bought you the Gospel over 2,000 years.

How ungrateful you are that this religion carried it all this way for you.

Mole

Permabanned
There's a difference between worship and acknowledgement.

You're splitting hairs. The whole point of a god is to worship them. That is what you do to gods.

Wadaya think, we just wave to them as they pass?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You're splitting hairs. The whole point of a god is to worship them. That is what you do to gods.

Wadaya think, we just wave to them as they pass?

Maybe in your world. In mine, I treat them with the upmost respect, acknowledge them, work with those that call on me, and those that have earned my trust and gratitude, I pledge my allegiance to and I'll do their work. Worshipping is something I rarely do, as I associate it with bending to someone elses will, with no say at all. Powerful as they are, they too are only inhabitants of this world/existence.

Mole

Permabanned
Maybe in your world. In mine, I treat them with the upmost respect, acknowledge them, work with those that call on me, and those that have earned my trust and gratitude, I pledge my allegiance to and I'll do their work. Worshipping is something I rarely do, as I associate it with bending to someone elses will, with no say at all. Powerful as they are, they too are only inhabitants of this world/existence.

Great Caesar's Ghost, if, as you say, "They too are only inhabitants of this world/existence", then they are not gods.

For gods by their nature are supernatural. But you have reduced them merely to the natural.

So it seems to me, Amargith, that in your innocence you are simply a respectful atheist.

Argus

MBTI Type
ENTP
Alas dear Argus, it was the religion called Christianity that has bought you the Gospel over 2,000 years.

How ungrateful you are that this religion carried it all this way for you.

You are asumming that the vessel for the message being delivered is of equivalence to the meaning of message itself.

I will recognize that I believe in the God of the bible because of "religion".

But that religion was based off the bible.

I have also read that bible. Yep, the whole thing.

And guess what, religion is man made. It's an abstract.

Religion is, according to what the bible says, an idol.

But the bible also teaches that God can use idols (ie "evil) to reveal himself. (as well as in spite of evil).

You're fighting an NT battle now :devil:

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Great Caesar's Ghost, if, as you say, "They too are only inhabitants of this world/existence", then they are not gods.

For gods by their nature are supernatural. But you have reduced them merely to the natural.

So it seems to me, Amargith, that in your innocence you are simply a respectful atheist.

Supernatural doesn't exist in pagan religions.

Edit: Argus, we should stop answering, Night wanted this thread to remain discussion-free. Victor, if you are truly interested in pursuing this, I'll gladly oblige, if you open another thread for it.

Argus

MBTI Type
ENTP
But more gets revealed through conversation than anything else!

If he wanted just the bare facts he should have made a poll.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
But more gets revealed through conversation than anything else!

If he wanted just the bare facts he should have made a poll.

Read the OP, he has good reasons to do this. Start a new thread, if you want discussion.

Argus

MBTI Type
ENTP
Surely the proof that you believe in a god is that you worship them?

Who do I have what to prove to other than God?

What is worship?

What is proof?

"That's right, I'm pulling that move."
"Well you don't say, René Descartes!"

Mole

Permabanned
Who do I have what to prove to other than God?

What is worship?

What is proof?

The person you have to prove it to other than your god is yourself.

Christians go to Church every Sunday to worship. And Jews and Muslims go the Mosque and Synagogue every Friday and Saturday to worship.

And proof provides confirmation.

Argus

MBTI Type
ENTP
The person you have to prove it to other than your god is yourself.

Christians go to Church every Sunday to worship. And Jews and Muslims go the Mosque and Synagogue every Friday and Saturday to worship.

And proof provides confirmation.

When the 30 member Athenian council asked Paul where he would build his temple they were astonished when he told them that his god will not need a temple.

They were very disappointed to here this, and he told them they were very ignorant.

Jesus doesn't need us to house him. God made the universe and he doesn't need us to make him a home.

God gives and does not take.

That's what the bible say's.

Mole

Permabanned
You are asumming that the vessel for the message being delivered is of equivalence to the meaning of message itself.

I will recognize that I believe in the God of the bible because of "religion".

But that religion was based off the bible.

I have also read that bible. Yep, the whole thing.

And guess what, religion is man made. It's an abstract.

Religion is, according to what the bible says, an idol.

But the bible also teaches that God can use idols (ie "evil) to reveal himself. (as well as in spite of evil).

You're fighting an NT battle now :devil:

The NFs will carry the day for the Bible was put together by a committee.

Argus

MBTI Type
ENTP
The NFs will carry the day for the Bible was put together by a committee.

And completely forget to study that committee to death.

And disguise the ignorance of their lack of knowledge of that committee with distracting assumptions.