• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

for those against abortion

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
I agree with this.

There is a beautiful thing about a fetus. It is the bud of a life that will grow into one of the most beautiful things, which is a baby. That bud depends on you to let it grow into that miracle. And thus, abandoning it and letting it die is not allowing that baby to live. Many babies that could have been alive now could have been your best friend, lover, teacher, doctor, savior, etc. To think that a baby would die before it has a chance to be one is very upsetting.

Oh yay. This was my 1000th post

I totally disagree with this.

There is a beautiful thing about an egg cell. It is the bud of a life that will grow into one of the most beautiful things, which is a baby. That bud depends on you to let it grow into that miracle. And thus, abandoning it and letting it die is not allowing that baby to live. Many babies that could have been alive now could have been your best friend, lover, teacher, doctor, savior, etc. To think that a baby would die before it has a chance to be one is very upsetting.

Therefore, every time yeu've had yeur period and *NOT* given birth, every time yeu've used a condom, every time yeu've done oral instead of traditional vaginal sex, YEU'RE A MURDERING BASTARD WHO JUST KILLED A BABY.

"potential to be" and "are" are two distinctively seperate things. A fetus is still not a child, any more than a seperated egg and a sperm are. When it's born and can live independantly, it is a child. When it is a part of the mother, it is 'a part of the mother', not a 'part of itself'.

Until such time as it is NOT a part of the mother, and can live on its' own, it is not a child, it is just the 'possibility of a child'. Many fetuses that could have been your best friend, lover, teacher, doctor, savior, etc. are DEAD from stillbirth, diseases, and other ailments within the first week after birth.

Keep in mind as well, that this whole idea of "zomg babies are people too!" is still a relatively recent concept, and not supported in much of the world. It's a heavily cultural concept. It's not supported hardly at all in china, and until the last few hundred years, children were considered 'expendable' until they were about 5 years old due to a greater than 50% child death rate. Why do yeu think yeur great grandparents had like 11 siblings? Because they needed that many because at the time only about half of them lived to age 10, and their parents really didn't care if they died before then.

It's not a "pure" morality issue, despite whot people want to believe, on either side of the fence, it's very much so a cultural issue.

If kids live longer and live better lives, then this 'zomg no abortion!' thing arises. If they die early on at a young age regularly for several contributing factors, then this isn't even considered to be an issue most of the time.

In any case... it's not even so much that I disagree with the stance here, I just completely disagree with the poor line of reasoning is all.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I totally disagree with this.

There is a beautiful thing about an egg cell. It is the bud of a life that will grow into one of the most beautiful things, which is a baby. That bud depends on you to let it grow into that miracle. And thus, abandoning it and letting it die is not allowing that baby to live. Many babies that could have been alive now could have been your best friend, lover, teacher, doctor, savior, etc. To think that a baby would die before it has a chance to be one is very upsetting.

Therefore, every time yeu've had yeur period and *NOT* given birth, every time yeu've used a condom, every time yeu've done oral instead of traditional vaginal sex, YEU'RE A MURDERING BASTARD WHO JUST KILLED A BABY.

"potential to be" and "are" are two distinctively seperate things. A fetus is still not a child, any more than a seperated egg and a sperm are. When it's born and can live independantly, it is a child. When it is a part of the mother, it is 'a part of the mother', not a 'part of itself'.

Until such time as it is NOT a part of the mother, and can live on its' own, it is not a child, it is just the 'possibility of a child'. Many fetuses that could have been your best friend, lover, teacher, doctor, savior, etc. are DEAD from stillbirth, diseases, and other ailments within the first week after birth.

Keep in mind as well, that this whole idea of "zomg babies are people too!" is still a relatively recent concept, and not supported in much of the world. It's a heavily cultural concept. It's not supported hardly at all in china, and until the last few hundred years, children were considered 'expendable' until they were about 5 years old due to a greater than 50% child death rate. Why do yeu think yeur great grandparents had like 11 siblings? Because they needed that many because at the time only about half of them lived to age 10, and their parents really didn't care if they died before then.

It's not a "pure" morality issue, despite whot people want to believe, on either side of the fence, it's very much so a cultural issue.

If kids live longer and live better lives, then this 'zomg no abortion!' thing arises. If they die early on at a young age regularly for several contributing factors, then this isn't even considered to be an issue most of the time.

In any case... it's not even so much that I disagree with the stance here, I just completely disagree with the poor line of reasoning is all.
:) I'm not going to reason with you on the matter. I would like to ask you, when does life present itself in a baby?
Also, supposing babies aren't people. Would it be fine with you if you killed a baby?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Your comment is very saddening. One must realise that what they are dealing with is a life. The fetus is there awaiting to be born yet it is prevented. Life is being constructed in the fetus. You would be removing the life of a baby that would have been born within less than half a year. It would be the dead older brother or sister of a child you may have in the future. It could have been your son or daughter that would have come to you for help whenever someone picked on them in school. It is sad to see that someone would abort what would have loved them a year later.

I wasn't being sarcastic.

If you really want fetuses to be considered people too, then you need to treat them as such in all laws, not just laws pertaining to abortion. It's not fair to the fetus.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I wasn't being sarcastic.

If you really want fetuses to be considered people too, then you need to treat them as such in all laws, not just laws pertaining to abortion. It's not fair to the fetus.
It seemed you were.

How about if I said fetuses weren't people but a root that creates a person. You would then be removing something that creates something beautiful which is of course a baby. And thus the future is that that something is not alive when it could've been. You have then killed a future life. I could see a child walking down the street. What if that child's parents aborted him. Then I wouldn't ever see him.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
It seemed you were.

How about if I said fetuses weren't people but a root that creates a person. You would then be removing something that creates something beautiful which is of course a baby. And thus the future is that that something is not alive when it could've been. You have then killed a future life. I could see a child walking down the street. What if that child's parents aborted him. Then I wouldn't ever see him.

But would you have ever known that that child 'should' have been there?

And in this argument we seem only to be discussing babies that are merely 'inconvenient'. We seem to be skipping over babies that are products of rape, incest, incestual rape, babies that would harm the mother by continuing to grow, and babies with such severe congenital defects that they would likely die a few days after being born.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
But would you have ever known that that child 'should' have been there?

And in this argument we seem only to be discussing babies that are merely 'inconvenient'. We seem to be skipping over babies that are products of rape, incest, incestual rape, babies that would harm the mother by continuing to grow, and babies with such severe congenital defects that they would likely die a few days after being born.
When it would come to these awfully horrible situations there may be set ideals depending on the person. It would be the person themselves that would decide what they should do. Any action could be right.
As for what I've bolded out, no one knows the future so no one knows whether the baby will become harmful to the mother. It is in the hands of the mother to make sure it does not happen.

What I have said before were not pointed towards these unfortunate situations.

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Then we need to expand all rights of people to fetuses, too.

Like taxes. Fetuses need taxes paid on them. Rights need to begin at fetushood, meaning that any person conceived in the US could become President, not just those born there. And if they want to leave the country, they'll need passports, too. Also, if the mother is abusing the fetus it needs to be able to be taken away by child services to a more loving womb.

In both theory and practice, you would be wrong. The fetus can easily be given tax exempt status, as a nine month fetus status would not be practical. Think temporary resident status instead of the same full fledged citizenship with which we are familiar. As I'm sure you know, it is illegal to murder a foreign alien just as much as to murder a US citizen. The role of government is not just dishing out rights--the essential function of government is to protect those living in its borders, from invasion, from the government itself, and from other people. Fulfilling that basic obligation in no way implies granting citizenship.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
:) I'm not going to reason with you on the matter. I would like to ask you, when does life present itself in a baby?
Also, supposing babies aren't people. Would it be fine with you if you killed a baby?

People aren't even people. Humans in general, despite claiming to be a "thinking" species, rarely ever do so.

A baby is meat. An animal, and little more than a chicken or a cow until it has managed to prove itself otherwise. There are many adults who still have yet to manage to prove themselves to be anything better than their base instincts, or even capable of the level of training that a DOG can handle.

Obviously, I would prefer to provide the chance for that individual to attempt to prove themselves. It would be better if we had all the chances in the world to try to let the best and brightest of us succeed!

...But it's not very practical. Nor likely to ever occur. Realistically speaking, thousands of children die every single day anyway. Another dead child that I have no contact with and never knew existed is little more than a statistic, it has no relevance to me, no baring on my life if it lives or dies. I would *PREFER* to hear that it lived, but if I hear "another 1000 babies died today" it means pretty much nothing to me.

To put things in perspective, on 9/11, about 43,000 people died. About 3,000 of those were at the WTC. Less than 10% of the people that died that day had anything even remotely to do with the WTC incident. And yet people still make a big deal out of it.

We are emotionally insecure and attach ourselves far too frequently to matters which really have absolutely no consequence to us. If I had the personal option to kill a baby or not, I may or may not take that chance, depending on the circumstances surrounding it. Would it be more beneficial to kill the baby? If I were on a train with no brakes, and had the option to switch rails, and there were two choices, either I was going to be forced to kill 10 babies, or 10 lawyers... and I couldn't prevent it from happening, I absolutely had to choose a group to kill... I'd kill the babies. The lawyers may very well have had children already, and they've already proven themselves to have at least some resemblance of a mind in their head, the babies are still little more than clay to be sculpted. Were I to let them live, I could have given us the next Einstein. Or the next Hitler. I have no way of knowing whot I'd get from the mix. Maybe the babies are all going to die from illness, considering less than half the babies in the world born every day live beyond childhood, could I really assume it'd be a good idea to trade "probably 4 will live" for "guaranteed 10 ARE alive"?

There's alot more to be considered than just "think of the children!".

There's also the fact that, since I've started writing this response, someone just died horribly in a car accident. Someone starved to death. And a fetus was aborted. Yeu didn't know any of these things had occurred either. Yeu have no personal connection to them. Yeu have no interest in the outcome. Once yeu've had yeur say, yeu will forget and leave, and never think of it again, leaving someone else with yeur decision yeu made for them for the rest of their lives. Really, whot right do yeu have to dictate their decision that yeu have no interest in other than yeur own personal morals?

To answer the question bluntly, though, and to put things in perspective:

I wouldn't actively kill a baby. I also wouldn't actively kill an ant, or even a misquito. I don't kill ANYTHING that does not bother me or harm me in some way. If the ant is in my house, it is dead. If the misquito tries to drink my blood, it's toast. If the baby does NOTHING to bother me in any way shape or form, I will not interfere with it, I shall not harm it, and would attempt to protect it's life. Until such time as it harmed another, and then it is that other's decision to determine the outcome, as my opinion on the matter no longer matters.

When does life present itself as being 'life'? Essentially when it has the ability to survive on its' own. Until such time, it has no rights, but whot it's parents give it. If it's still legally considered under the care and protection of its' parents, then it's still their choice whot to do with it. They obviously have an obligation to do whot they believe is best for it; occasionally, that may not include life. There have actually been quite a few cases where parents have killed their child and been found not guilty of murder or even manslaughter for it.

As a braindead vegitible on life support's family has the right to pull the plug, the fetus, too, is literally on life support. Remove the placenta and it dies.

I would FAR prefer that life be allowed to flourish, and I would not actively kill a child, or a fetus, or whotever myself. But at the same time... I also acknowledge that there are times when whot we want, and whot must be, are two distinctly different things as well.

I don't really feel like being a cannibal either, but if everyone else on the plane is dead, and I'm starving, guess who's having a human buffet tonight?

In the end though, I would *PREFER* that babies not be aborted under the vast majority of situations. I also, however, concede that there are situations where such is a perfectly valid, and sometimes even preferred, option, to the contrary.

If a woman is likely going to die in childbirth for some complication, would it not make more sense to KILL THE CHILD? The mother already is alive, and can just have another baby. Or two. If she dies, she can't have any, and the child, if it even lives, would be short a parent, and yeu'd still have killed someone.

If people refuse to wear condoms, and refuse to abstain or use common sense, and a child is going to be born which they can't support, is it so easy as to just say 'put it up for adoption'? Not always, how many children have grown up moving from one adoption agency to another, never having been the one picked? The more that people consider it to be valid to just put them up for adoption, the more supply, to the same demand. This won't solve anything either, leaving children orphaned without homes or families of their own when it overpopulates because of people not thinking straight. Can we really afford to put all these extra 'throw away children' somewhere by not throwing them away after all?

As much as I value life, I'm also a realist and pragmatic... the ideal position is rarely plausible. We don't live in a perfect world sadly; if we did, we wouldn't even have to ask this question in the first place.

I do agree with abortion in cases where it has valid reasoning behind it.

I don't agree with it occurring when someone just goes "lol oops forgot 2 use teh kondumb lolz". But at the same time, it literally is their body, the fetus literally IS on life support, and it literally could die before birth anyway. I don't agree with it, but neither is it my place to force my moral views upon them either. I can explain my views and try to convince them of my position, but I have no right to force them to conform to my way of thought.

The singular rule I follow is: "Do not force your views upon others". This applies to both sides of the situation in different ways; to the mother, it is HER body, and HER child. It is her obligation to do whot she decides to be best for her child because the child can't decide for itself. This's in every law ever made; a parent has to make decisions for their children that their children can't make themselves. Therefore, they are excluded in this one situation, as their view is not being forced. On the other hand, my views would be forced to make them conform to my beliefs. As such, even though I disagree with them, I can only educate and try to explain, I can not at any point take a gun to their head and tell them to not abort or I'll kill them.

It's a bit convoluted there, but I hope that clears things up some.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
When it would come to these awfully horrible situations there may be set ideals depending on the person. It would be the person themselves that would decide what they should do. Any action could be right.
As for what I've bolded out, no one knows the future so no one knows whether the baby will become harmful to the mother. It is in the hands of the mother to make sure it does not happen.

What I have said before were not pointed towards these unfortunate situations.

As for all the other situations that are causes for women to want abortions, either allow them to have them or make it not so horrible to have a child.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
@Katsuni: I see... :) You like to talk much. It's a cheerful thing to see.
I very well understand your point of view of things. There are certain things you believe and see which would change your views. What I see about you though is that you seem to lack affection. If one shows affection for someone or something it would equal that of the whole world. It is within you. Not outside.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
As for all the other situations that are causes for women to want abortions, either allow them to have them or make it not so horrible to have a child.
:) It is impossible to choose the choice for the woman. It is her decision. But it is really sad for her choice to be abortion.

Not_Me

MBTI Type
INTj
Sure, you believe they aren't human, but you may be wrong. If you are wrong, then you are supporting murder.

Suppose we allowed abortions and years later, philosophers decided that it has been murder all along. So what? Without religion, it doesn't matter. The consequences are purely academic.

Suppose we forced women to carry to term, then years later, philosophers decided that zygotes are not people after all. In this case, we've ruined peoples lives all for nothing.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:) It is impossible to choose the choice for the woman. It is her decision. But it is really sad for her choice to be abortion.

I think a lot of people here actually do agree with that.
...Even the people you're disagreeing with on whether or not it should be permissible.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think a lot of people here actually do agree with that.
...Even the people you're disagreeing with on whether or not it should be permissible.
A sad choice may be prevented. If one person prevents the upsetting choice of abortion that person has saved the life of a future child. :) And saving one person is on the inside equal to saving all living things on this planet.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ

It's a very sad choice, yes, but it makes a lot of sense considering.

Babies born outside of wedlock are still considered undesirable when the couple is causal/younger (if two adults are in a committed, stable relationship to each other for the long term and just happen to not be married and then conceive, it's considered more acceptable, but still 'weird'). Children are extremely expensive, time-consuming, and emotionally draining. Couples often choose to conceive only when they decide they have enough of these resources to sufficiently raise the child. Often those who have 'unwanted' babies don't have the finances or energy to support a child, and sometimes don't even have enough to support themselves. If you can barely support yourself, how can you be expected to take care of a baby?

As someone also said, pregnancy leaves a woman very vulnerable and dependent for a while. This is all fine and good if there's someone to willingly take care of the woman, like a husband or devoted boyfriend or a loving extended family, but what of when there's no one? There are some state/church funded programs, but these also carry a stigma and are often insufficient.

Parents now are expected to give up everything for their children, especially mothers. It's a huge commitment. Careers are lost or indefinitely put on hold for the sake of children. Maternity leaves given are often very short. Daycare is expensive, and work often gets out much later than kids get out of school. A parent's life is stopped dead in its tracks for 10-18 years, maybe longer, and they have to start over because workplaces consider these years 'wasted'. Huh? How is raising a child 'wasted' years? Apparently because these women weren't training for jobs or adding to the GDP they were 'wasting' their time.

Or, you say, why not just put up these children for adoption? But if no one's willing to shoulder the burden of the child, it just becomes a burden of the state, unwanted. A mother might preemptively agree with the child in that yes, it should have never been born.

Take away the social stigma and more of the huge financial burden and you'd have fewer abortions. Telling women to "just don't have sex" is just perpetuating the problem further.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ I've posted this picture before and I feel obliged to post it again. And I'll paraphrase a bit of what I said before.
zooni.jpg

This baby would not have a life if it was aborted. It would cease to exist. Every abortion has prevented a beautiful baby like this from appearing less than half a year later. It is very saddening to think of every baby that ever ceased to exist because of one's personal gain.
People go for abortions for the selfish reason of wanting themselves to have an easier life. The reason cannot be other than selfish because it solely for themselves.

I believe a child is worth much more than any money or wealth you ever gain in your life. Because it is a life. And a life being prevented to live for one's own personal gain is extremely sad.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
^ I've posted this picture before and I feel obliged to post it again. And I'll paraphrase a bit of what I said before.
zooni.jpg

This baby would not have a life if it was aborted. It would cease to exist. Every abortion has prevented a beautiful baby like this from appearing less than half a year later. It is very saddening to think of every baby that ever ceased to exist because of one's personal gain.
People go for abortions for the selfish reason of wanting themselves to have an easier life. The reason cannot be other than selfish because it solely for themselves.

I believe a child is worth much more than any money or wealth you ever gain in your life. Because it is a life. And a life being prevented to live for one's own personal gain is extremely sad.

Psst it's a fat, deformed, ughly mound of flesh =3

Babies aren't beautiful or cute. They're drooling, mishappen ill formed shapes. The only reason that people find them 'beautiful' at all, is because yeu're genetically predisposed to prefer them.

If yeu saw an adult who had the same proportions as a baby, yeu'd consider them disgusting, fat, and probably pity them for having such a horrid looking dibilitating appearance.

Not commenting on the rest of the post, I'm just pointing out that the picture seriously isn't going to win my favour at least, and it's a poor argument. Beauty is not a reason to provide life. It's shallow and sad to think that way.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Psst it's a fat, deformed, ughly mound of flesh =3

Babies aren't beautiful or cute. They're drooling, mishappen ill formed shapes. The only reason that people find them 'beautiful' at all, is because yeu're genetically predisposed to prefer them.

If yeu saw an adult who had the same proportions as a baby, yeu'd consider them disgusting, fat, and probably pity them for having such a horrid looking dibilitating appearance.

Not commenting on the rest of the post, I'm just pointing out that the picture seriously isn't going to win my favour at least, and it's a poor argument. Beauty is not a reason to provide life. It's shallow and sad to think that way.
:) As I said before,
There are certain things you believe and see which would change your views
A baby is of pure innocence. This is why it is seen as such cute thing. It is not the looks. It is of a different standpoint and view. I'm not trying to change yours. I just want you to realise other's.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I haven't read all 46 pages. However I'm wondering if these issues have been addressed.

1) For those who don't believe in forcing their beliefs on others, why then are citizen's tax dollars used to perform abortions? This seems like a contradiction. At the very least, citizens should be able to opt out of their taxes paying for something they believe is wrong.

2) People who feel strongly that people shouldn't be inconvenienced by an unwanted child then should be held to a higher level of planning ahead. In the vast majority of cases, no one is forcing them to have sex, nor are they deprived of birth control and information on how to prevent conception. At the very least, they should be able to plan ahead for enough money to pay for their own abortion, rather than relying on others because they made a series of decisions that have ended in a result they do not like.

3) There is an enormous waiting list for newborn babies all over the country (several years long for the average couple). The children who are difficult to adopt are those who are older. So the adoption not being a good option argument doesn't really hold water.

4) People keep bringing up the victims of rape and incest as well as babies with congenital defects or cases where the mother's life is endangered. This makes up an extremely small percentage of those who choose to have abortions.

5) The cost of the emotional and marital fallout for those who have abortions is rarely addressed. This is not only a societal cost, but a very real healthcare cost as well. Women receive very little couselling before abortions, nor are they given opportunities to talk to women who have gone through the experience themselves. They are also not given adequate information about how an abortion could affect their health and their reproductive future.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
:) As I said before,

A baby is of pure innocence. This is why it is seen as such cute thing. It is not the looks. It is of a different standpoint and view. I'm not trying to change yours. I just want you to realise other's.

I would also argue that it's pure evil; absolute greed incarnate with zero consideration for anyone but themselves.

The only reason they're "innocent" is they don't know any better. If someone acted like that as an adult they'd be locked in jail, or murdered for being such a pretentious jerk.

As yeu said before though, I have virtually no affection. There's alot of reasons for it, but the heavy bias against the F mindset to a point of nearly being warlike against it is probably the biggest cause XD

From a logical perspective, babies really don't have many, if any, redeeming traits, other than false imagery such as the perception of innocence, or the inherent implication of immortality by proxy via gene transference.

But most people don't like to talk about logic in relation to an emotional topic, so I kinda realize I'm not exactly on common ground here XD