• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

for those against abortion

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
This is going to sound really bad. But I have a hard time with people who think abortion is ever permissible. I have a hard time understanding them, and seeing them as anyone other than a killer. They might as well say "I think you should kill anyone in your way in line at WalMart. Sort of.

People 100 years ago said "eh well, everyone's racist." And looking at it now, that's poor morality.

One explanation I've heard is -- "Well morality is at the heart, and its just a matter of getting to the head." But I dunno...

If you don't agree, don't worry about it. Just don't post. I just want to understand this all better.
You're an N?

You're an NT?

You're an INTP?!?!?

:thelook:

Usehername

On a mission
You're an N?

You're an NT?

You're an INTP?!?!?

:thelook:

Didn't you take issue with Bluewing in that thread where he advocated killing already birthed babies?

If one conceives (no pun intended) of a fetus as a human life, then this POV makes total sense. An inconvenience on the mother, however heavy a burden, is less a burden to bear than to, you know, die.

It's the definition of human life that's at the heart of this debate.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Didn't you take issue with Bluewing in that thread where he advocated killing already birthed babies?

If one conceives (no pun intended) of a fetus as a human life, then this POV makes total sense. An inconvenience on the mother, however heavy a burden, is less a burden to bear than to, you know, die.

That and the VALUE we place on human life, which i argue is being diminished in the line of thinking that permits abortion.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
To whom it may concern,

If you are personally against having an abortion, guess what, don't ever have one.

If you are against me having an abortion, you may happily go fuck yourself with a speculum.

Do you know how much thought and pain is involved in having an abortion?

It is a last resort, with lasting effects, and it is certainly not an easy choice to make.

But it is precisely that, a choice.

You don't know me, or any other woman or girl's circumstance, where they are in their lives, how they got pregnant, what would happen if they opted to keep the child or give it away.

Should one perpetuate a mistake, or nip it in the bud?

I had an abortion when I was 19 and I don't regret it.

Leave me and my uterus alone, they're entirely my business and not yours.

-SS

Usehername

On a mission
To whom it may concern,

If you are personally against having an abortion, guess what, don't ever have one.

If you are against me having an abortion, you may happily go fuck yourself with a speculum.

Do you know how much thought and pain is involved in having an abortion?

It is a last resort, with lasting effects, and it is certainly not an easy choice to make.

But it is precisely that, a choice.

You don't know me, or any other woman or girl's circumstance, where they are in their lives, how they got pregnant, what would happen if they opted to keep the child or give it away.

Should one perpetuate a mistake, or nip it in the bud?

I had an abortion when I was 19 and I don't regret it.

-SS

:hug: about your difficult choice to make. And much respect that you made a choice; a lot of people just throw their hands up in the air and say life controlled them when really we have more power than we sometimes believe.

I don't think anyone judged your choice, I think the OP simply couldn't understand it because of the OP's views on the definition of human life. IMO I then went on to explain how this worldview colours the understanding of the act of abortion.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
It is precisely because I value human life that I decided to have an abortion, the pregnancy was an ABSOLUTE mistake.

There is nothing worse than unplanned pregnancies.

Bringing a child into this world is no light matter.

One must be ready, willing and wanting.

No child wants to be born, being unwanted, with parents who are merely children themselves, ill-prepared, leaving a legacy of mistake after mistake after mistake.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5

I view a fetus as a seed for potential human life.

What's sadder, someone chopping down an oak tree, a sapling, or someone stepping on an acorn?

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Definately the oak tree.

Scratch that. I was going for the joke, like "what's the sound of one hand clapping?" Then you clap with your finger on your palm. I don't want to get involved.

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
No one denies that life begins at conception. But it is irrelevant. We kill people all the time. We also fail to save people all the time. You need to prove that the woman is obligated to lend her body out for 9 months to save the fetus.

If you can't prove it, then I stick with my original position, that abortion ought to be a personal choice.

The value of human life is infinite and intrinsic. Valuable, regardless of its usefulness, and ends in themselves. Whether or not the child is infringing on the 'rights' on the mother is irrelevant. It's part of the necessary process of having a baby. She knew beforehand what it takes to have a baby--9 months with it inside of you. It's not a surprise; everyone knows that. Why wouldn't she have an obligation? Why would the lending out of the body for 9 months override the lifehood of the fetus which you admitted to?

And even if you don't buy that, it doesn''t follow that it should be legislated as choice. If you buy choice, then you're saying it could be right, it could be wrong. So you're legislating something that's potentially wrong. Would you legislate stealing as legal and let the individual decide? Don't you think stealing is wrong? See the quote below.

1. You know it's a baby, and it is.
2. You know it's not a baby, and it isn't
3. You don't know if its a baby or not, and it is.
4. You don't know if its a baby or not, and it isn't.

1. obviously wrong
2. nothing wrong
3. irresponsible
4. irresponsible

That and the VALUE we place on human life, which i argue is being diminished in the line of thinking that permits abortion.

Yep. I think the definition is getting too scientific. These detached, impersonal, intellectual scientific definitions have no bite to them. They have no guilt attached. Moral definitions do have guilt to them. They address the real world and real life and the real guilt that you feel when you have an abortion. Even if you defined it scientifically, you'd still have to tie it back into morality. And when you do that, regardless of all the scientific jargon, you'll find that when you get pregnant, a baby will come out. In 9 months. Not a lizard, not a monkey, not a cantaloupe. A baby that was once part of you. A baby that is you.

By that same logic, I can say "If you are against me stealing, guess what, don't let me steal. Lock your stuff up." "If you are against Columbine, guess what, don't shoot up your cafeteria and shut up."

By that same logic, I can say "Leave me and my choices alone, they're my business. if I want to murder, let me murder. If I want to steal, let me steal." The fact that your body's involved is irrelevant. It's either wrong or its not, regardless of the extrinsic price you have to pay.

You could argue that stealing is legislated as illegal for utilitarian purposes, but come on now. It's wrong. Legislation is morality. The only thing you can legislate is morality. Even if you said , "do whatever you please, as long as its your choice, and doesn't infringe upon others' choice," then that is also a morality. So morality is unavoidable. So let's go with "Life is intrinsically valuable."

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
How has the abortion I decided to make when I was 19 personally affected you?!?!??!

I was 19, the boy who knocked me up was 20, and the fetus I aborted was 6 weeks old!!!

I would have ruined my life, the potential baby's life, the father's life as well as my entire family's life.

If you value a 6 week old fetus over a 19 year old's life, there is something fundamentally wrong with you.

Do you even know what a six week old fetus is?!?!?

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
If my choices do NOT affect you, you're damn right they are my right to choose.

If I go on a killing spree, and kill a bunch of teenagers and adults, that infringes on their, and the ones who love them, rights.

If I steal a car, that infringes on the car owner's rights.

Duh.

However, I should infringe upon my own rights because a 6 week old fetus has more, or just as much a right to a proper life as I do?!?!?!?

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
How has the abortion I decided to make when I was 19 personally affected you?!?!??!

I was 19, the boy who knocked me up was 20, and the fetus I aborted was 6 weeks old!!!

I would have ruined my life, the potential baby's life, the father's life as well as my entire family's life.

If you value a 6 week old fetus over a 19 year old's life, there is something fundamentally wrong with you.

Do you even know what a six week old fetus is?!?!?

It hasn't affected me. If you watched someone steal something, would you react? If you heard a child screaming in the night, yelling for help, would you act?

You don't know if your life would have been ruined. Therefore you could be mistaken. But this isn't a matter to be taken in the hands of the individual. It is objective--independent of the human mind. You said you value human life, and that abortion was a last resort. When would come the point where its the individual's choice? After all, it's uncertain what would have happened.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I take it you are one to believe that condoms are baby killers.

That birth control is the devil.

That using Plan B is potentially commiting murder.

Why?

Because life is intrinsically valuable.

No, if you were to argue that, you would say, because *potential* life is intrinsically valuable.

I am one to believe that an *actual* human life is more valuable than semen, or a zygote.

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

If I go on a killing spree, and kill a bunch of teenagers and adults, that infringes on their, and the ones who love them, rights.

Duh.

However, I should infringe upon my own rights because a 6 week old fetus has more, or just as much a right to a proper life as I do?!?!?!?

But I'm not supporting the "don't infringe on others' rights" type of legislation that you do. I believe in "legislate what's objectively right." I think that's where we differ. I don't know if you believe in "objectively right.".

And yes, the fetus has just as much right to a proper life as you do.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
It hasn't affected me. If you watched someone steal something, would you react? If you heard a child screaming in the night, yelling for help, would you act?

You don't know if your life would have been ruined. Therefore you could be mistaken. But this isn't a matter to be taken in the hands of the individual. It is objective--independent of the human mind. You said you value human life, and that abortion was a last resort. When would come the point where its the individual's choice? After all, it's uncertain what would have happened.
A FETUS IS NOT AN INDIVIDUAL!!!!!!!!!

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I take it you are one to believe that condoms are baby killers.

That birth control is the devil.

That using Plan B is potentially commiting murder.

Why?

Because life is intrinsically valuable.

No, if you were to argue that, you would say, because *potential* life is intrinsically valuable.

I am one to believe that an *actual* human life is more valuable than semen, or a zygote.

I don't know about the condom thing, since semen isn't much without an egg to go with it.

And i don't see why the *potential* distinction matters. It's not potential life anymore once it hooks up with the egg. It's life.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8

Duh.

If you were the baby, and you had a functioning mind, would you choose to be aborted and killed instead of having a chance to exist in the physical world (perhaps the only form of existence there is)? Would you not take the opportunity to live, to be? Doesn't that beat the alternative? It's not as if you'd be born into literal fire and brimstone hell.