• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

for those against abortion

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
This is going to sound really bad. But I have a hard time with people who think abortion is ever permissible. I have a hard time understanding them, and seeing them as anyone other than a killer. They might as well say "I think you should kill anyone in your way in line at WalMart. Sort of.

People 100 years ago said "eh well, everyone's racist." And looking at it now, that's poor morality.

One explanation I've heard is -- "Well morality is at the heart, and its just a matter of getting to the head." But I dunno...

If you don't agree, don't worry about it. Just don't post. I just want to understand this all better.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The last line is a little confusing. You mean you're looking for people to explain why they believe abortion might be okay in some circumstances? (Just clarifying.)

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I think you believe this because you're ignorant of the distinction between a fetus and a child.

You believe that fetus = child, which is really an unreasonable perspective if you've researched the matter thoroughly. Please do more research.

Sorry.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
People have been killing children for population control and related issues since the dawn of human kind. The fact they do it in a “medical procedure” now shows how “civilized” we have become. Sure its arbitrary and its killing but its not illegal under the U.S. Constitution. In other words the states don't even have the right to make it illegal.

Nobody is going to change their mind unless some better alternatives become available which both sides can agree upon. Only debating the issue with people who agree with you seems pointless in an open forum (as it is debating the issue with people who don't agree with you on this issue). Sure killing babies in the womb is fucked, but their isn't anything one can do about it, and are you gonna take care of all the babies nobody wants? I didn't think so.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
In other words the states don't even have the right to make it illegal.

The constitution describes the fundamental rights of the people and the government. Nothing about its purpose or function prohibits states from passing laws on areas not covered by the constitution, except for where those laws would conflict with the rights specifically granted by the constitution.

I don't care what the subject is, that's just factually incorrect.

Nobody is going to change their mind unless some better alternatives become available which both sides can agree upon. Only debating the issue with people who agree with you seems pointless in an open forum (as it is debating the issue with people who don't agree with you on this issue). Sure killing babies in the womb is fucked, but their isn't anything one can do about it, and are you gonna take care of all the babies nobody wants? I didn't think so.

The OP doesn't realize, apparently, that even though he asks for a good discussion, he wont get it. Those who disagree will yell, and scream, and berate, and throw personal attacks, and throw out baseless information. Hot button issue. Enjoy the show.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is going to sound really bad. But I have a hard time with people who think abortion is ever permissible. I have a hard time understanding them, and seeing them as anyone other than a killer. They might as well say "I think you should kill anyone in your way in line at WalMart. Sort of.

That's just taking it to too much of an extreme.

And I'm going to agree with Athenian here.

Also, do you realize that with abortion being illegal in places, that girls who have made mistakes (or otherwise errors out of people's control) in the sexual realm basically have their lives being ruined?

I don't see why it matters... I view a fetus as not really a "person", I view a baby as a person. Killing babies is wrong.

But I'm a guy. I don't think that I can have a real stance on this because I cannot get pregnant. The best choice is to have it legal everywhere, and if someone is morally opposed to it, well, don't get an abortion. Don't force your beliefs on others, it's bullshit. That's the only reasonable solution, and it lets everyone practice all of their beliefs.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Once the fetus starts forming a brain, then I think it's too far to abort it without it really being the murder of a human life, because the formation of the brain is the formation of the means of consciousness, thus a sentient life form. Yes, humans have been killing humans since the species was born. However, we LIKE to THINK that we have come to a different place in human history where we can control our primal and destructive instincts, and hold life and free will in great reverence. If what people want to believe about themselves is to have compliance with reality, they should reconsider their stance on abortion.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
The constitution describes the fundamental rights of the people and the government. Nothing about its purpose or function prohibits states from passing laws on areas not covered by the constitution, except for where those laws would conflict with the rights specifically granted by the constitution.

I don't care what the subject is, that's just factually incorrect.

The OP doesn't realize, apparently, that even though he asks for a good discussion, he wont get it. Those who disagree will yell, and scream, and berate, and throw personal attacks, and throw out baseless information. Hot button issue. Enjoy the show.

Risen I think you are missing the point. The applicability of the U.S. Constitution is governed by the jurists on the U.S. Supreme Court and ever since Roe v. Wade (1973) they have upheld the right for the mother to choose to abort under the 1st Amendment implicit right to privacy.
Your Republican party have conned the “Right to Lifers” by saying they would appoint jurists to overrule Roe v. Wade. yet they appointed jurists such as O’Connor, Kennedy, Souter and Stevens. At least the Democrats didn't try to con their constituents that way. Technically Roe could allow limited abortions of the fetus that reaches the stage of viability, but that just isn't going to happen either* (if it was going to happen it would have happened George Ws term but apparently he was too busy killing children in Iraq and Afghanistan to care (*Besides the Partial Birth Abortion Ban which is essentially insignificant).
Absent the U.S. Supreme Court overturning or severely distinguishing states rights under Roe v. Wade and its successors the states have no say. Absent an amendment to the U.S. Constitution the people have no say.
Talk about it all you want but these discussions go nowhere. Everyone just feels like crap at the end of the day with BS rationalizations, arbitrary distinctions and euphemisms from both sides.

If it was up to me they would fit every girl with an IUD when she hit puberty until she got married (or got a permanent domestic partner) and the partner agreed to having a child and jointly taking care of it at least until the kid was 18. (or reversible vasectomy for men if they find a reliable procedure they could reverse) But this isn’t gonna happen either.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
The baby's got to have initiative to get out of the womb before it can be considered a person.

I mean everyone wants to stay in the womb, but to do so is weakness.

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
I kind of wish people had more abortions. The more the merrier :D

P

Phantonym

I see abortion as the survival of the fittest. It is what it is. Life. In this case, women have the power to make that choice. It will stay on their conscience forever. Make sure you've taken every precaution not to get pregnant. But there must be an option to make that choice.

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Hmm. Topics like this make me wonder how we are 'we' - and moreover what things are about up until now.

... It is quite fucked up, to be honest. Don't know if I could get round to anything else about it. We've all come from the cradle, and it's no saying what it could have been considering someone, or some fetus got aborted pre-birth. Some births are prized, which aggravates the issue farther - whereas some may not be. What can one really say?

(This is exactly why I'm not considering kids - for the record.)

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I personally have no interest in regulating other peoples bodily functions. Let them choose as they will.

Conversely, I have a right to choose myself and choose not to remain intimate with women who have had abortions.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Risen I think you are missing the point. The applicability of the U.S. Constitution is governed by the jurists on the U.S. Supreme Court and ever since Roe v. Wade (1973) they have upheld the right for the mother to choose to abort under the 1st Amendment implicit right to privacy.
Your Republican party have conned the “Right to Lifers” by saying they would appoint jurists to overrule Roe v. Wade. yet they appointed jurists such as O’Connor, Kennedy, Souter and Stevens. At least the Democrats didn't try to con their constituents that way. Technically Roe could allow limited abortions of the fetus that reaches the stage of viability, but that just isn't going to happen either* (if it was going to happen it would have happened George Ws term but apparently he was too busy killing children in Iraq and Afghanistan to care (*Besides the Partial Birth Abortion Ban which is essentially insignificant).
Absent the U.S. Supreme Court overturning or severely distinguishing states rights under Roe v. Wade and its successors the states have no say. Absent an amendment to the U.S. Constitution the people have no say.

I'll give you the recognition of your argument having merit in regards to roe vs. wade. One could say the gov doesn't have the right to regulate what someone does to themselves (if the fetus is considered to be a part of the mother, by virtue of the fact that it is inside the mother), however, that does not hold given the current state of our laws. If One is found to exhibit behavior harmful to themselves and/or their own well being, there are many laws that come in to interfere with their right to do what they wish. Inflicting damage upon yourself (attempted suicide, self mutilation, certain psychological conditions) gives the state the right to intervene and correct the problem (such as institutionalizing them), if I'm not mistaken. However, I think those laws would not prohibit the act itself, but rather give the state the right to take action after the fact or upon evidence that the person will be a harm to themselves. Thusly, by the precedent set, you cannot make having an abortion (the killing of a growing entity within the individual and considered part of the individual) illegal, but you can regulate penalties on people who DO have abortions, after the fact, which would deter people from doing it. It might also be constitutional to regulate hospitals/clinics and make it illegal for them to GIVE abortions.

And please, not the Bush is a baby killer bullcrap. You know we're fighting are the ones both killing their own people and putting them in danger, as shields. Either way, war is messy, and nobody can be righteous, as they have all stained their hands with blood to protect the blood of others.

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
I agree with the OP. The fetus is a living organism in that, it is growing and its cells are multiplying.

If you spray weed killer on a seed as it germinates, even though it is not a plant yet, you are in fact killing a plant.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
under assumption naturalism:
--Its tempting to say that until the fetus has a functioning brain, you cannot possibly consider it to be a person...I mean if there have never been any brain waves, how can it have a "personality" mapped to its physical being?

however, even a new born baby lacks any sort of set "brain pattern" linked to something of a personhood above:

Scientists are just now realizing how experiences after birth, rather than something innate, determine the actual wiring of the human brain. "Only 15 years ago," reports the Families and Work Institute in the just-re-leased study "Rethinking the Brain," "neuroscientists assumed that by the time babies are born, the structure of their brains [had been] genetically determined." But by last year researchers knew that was wrong. Instead, early-childhood experiences exert a dramatic and precise impact, physically determining how the intricate neural circuits of the brain are wired (NEWSWEEK, Feb. 19, 1996). Since then they have been learning how those experiences shape the brain's circuits.

At birth, the brain's 100 billion or so neurons form more than 50 trillion connections (synapses). The genes the baby carries-from the egg and sperm that made him-have already determined his brain's basic wiring. They have formed the connections in the brain stem that will make the heart beat and the lungs respire. But that's all. Of a human's 80,000 different genes, fully half are believed to be involved in forming and running the central nervous system. Yet even that doesn't come close to what the brain needs. In the first months of life, the number of synapses will increase 20-fold-to more than 1,000 trillion. There simply are not enough genes in the human species to specify so many connections.
How To Build A Baby's Brain | Newsweek.com

Its not legal to murder brain wave-less vegetables, for good reason. So what do unkillable lower animals have (ie pet dogs), that babies have, that make them "unkillable"? A heart beat comes to mind...however, people have killed mice that aren't in our favor.

Sadly, under the naturalism assumption: killing fetuses or even new borns seems to be wrong if its a) illegal, b) the baby is valued by someone else. until it has a "brain pattern" its just not justifiably intrinsically valuable.

this is an admittedly grisly conclusion. Think how ridiculous it would be though to ever find a baby that was actually valued by no one...not as possible as you might think. Secondly, would people actually take the time to differentiate and do a brain scan? Where would you quantitatively draw the line as to this "level of brain personality mapping"? Thus, the grisly theoretical conclusion can be tossed out as quickly as im sure everyone wants to (including me!). Drawing the line at the birth point seems to make sense and protect the innocent.

under assumption non-naturalism
--you'd be perfectly right to make up any point within any person's life and say "thats when their soul enters!", and then arbitrarily make that "the point where abortion can only happen before".
--It could be conception, a heartbeat, a brain wave, a first birthday, a communion, 100 years old.
the conclusion is potentially just as grisly. Again, in practice, its not that grisly. Most religions believe its at conception or sometime during pregnancy.

In conclusion: can anyone really justify the government taking a side based the assumption of metaphysics? would it be a violation of religious freedom? (whose religious assumption of 'the-soul-enters-at-this-point' would the law use?)

Hexis

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
I think we should be able to abort people until the age of 6.

Oh come on man! Dont limit yourself! Why stop at six?!

People 100 years ago said "eh well, everyone's racist." And looking at it now, that's poor morality.

One explanation I've heard is -- "Well morality is at the heart, and its just a matter of getting to the head." But I dunno...

If you don't agree, don't worry about it. Just don't post. I just want to understand this all better.

And on a serious note, and really it might not sound like it but im being serious. I respect your point of view and really will never have any reason to argue with you on it. But I would like to make this point.

I dont see whats wrong with killing. Anyone or thing, old or young, small or strong. And just how people like you dont understand how people like me can feel that way, well Its the same way on this side of the fence. If anything, our new found "morality" against killing others is killing everyone. Soon enough our world wont have the resources to support the billions of lives on it cause people thought just cause they know right from wrong they can decide what is right from wrong. And thus destroying the entire cycle of natural evolution.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
The abortion debate is over. Sorry, but if you live in the developed world, we're not going to go back in time. That's not how this works.

I dont see whats wrong with killing. Anyone or thing, old or young, small or strong.

So what's your body count?

Hexis

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
None, but that doesnt change the fact that im not against it. Whats yours? Does your lack secure you in your opinion that its wrong?