• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do they keep some commandments and not others?

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, biology exists. However, the onus is on you to explain why this precludes any higher being's involvement--the best you can say is that you choose to restrict your epistemological grounds to science, but then appealing to the philosophy of science puts you in the same position as theistic believers--you're still laying your chips down at the foot of a belief system, to the exclusion of other belief system choices.

Christianity does not preclude the symphonic directives of biology, it includes it--the Bible is full of teachings about that which is living, tangible and physical. OTOH, those who assert that biology is the only logical option for knowing have to make a case for disowning every other major epistemological inquiry. Yours is a tall task.

re-read my post:

1. A metaphysical truth would require an "a priori synthetic"
2. For it to be A priori, the justification does not rely upon the experience.
3. A good approximation is that an a priori must be "necessary and universal".
4. For it to be synthetic, the predicate concept can't be contained in the subject concept.
5. If the predicate cant be deduced from subject, you're almost never going to avoid an induction: eg "All bachelors are happy" basically equals "All bachelors are probably happy" because the first statement is only true as an induction.

Conclusion: To have a true metaphysical statement, you'd have to state something that was an induction, yet necessary and universal. One of the primary elements of an induction is that its NOT something that follows with absolute necessity.

Thus a "true" metaphysical statement is likely impossible (the only thing that I think stands a chance is stuff regarding "happiness being desirable"...another thread, another time).

So how does this apply to your post?

1. A metaphysical statement, an a priori synthetic, is going to only ever be "true for you". You, and only you (the rhetorical you).

2. Science generally rests on induction. Its not going to be as 100% true as mathematics. However, this does not put science on the level of theists (read: metaphysical belief) because much of science would be a posteriori synthetic. This would mean its an induction after experience. This means its an experience that everyone could have and theoretically test. Thus a posteriori synthetic wont necessarily be restricted to only being "true for you", like an a priori synthetic would be (metaphysical statements).

3. So yes, science would be on a metaphysical level when ever it makes inductions not based on experience (ie lacks experience, ie lacks evidence). Some religious people complain that when scientists are so sure of themselves, they are basically acting on metaphysical belief. This is not true most of time. When a scientist is so sure of his beliefs, as to attribute deductive certainty to his inductions, he is not being metaphysical, he is merely being illogical.

Again, I believe that people have the right to believe what ever they need to believe, I just think that scientism should not blindly be applied to all of science.

Usehername

On a mission
re-read my post:
I never read it in the first place; I was engaged in a subdiscussion in this thread.

So how does this apply to your post?

Again, I believe that people have the right to believe what ever they need to believe, I just think that scientism should not blindly be applied to all of science.
You're sucking in the metaphysical into an episteme revolving around the physical, placing boxes and boundaries around that which by definition does not share the same characteristics as the natural laws. Where's the logic in that, outside of saying, "I choose to have faith in this episteme to the exclusion of other possible epistemes." Where's the substantiation for that belief? Your claims only make sense if one starts with the same premises, and every selection and deflection of all the possible premises revolve around beliefs.

It applies to my post, because you said right there that you believe. You have to lay your chips down somewhere. You're choosing to worship the post-postmodern, poststructrualist epistemological notions of what constitutes valued ways of knowing. Give us another few hundred years and your worldview will be antiquated, just like every worldview before it. What makes you believe that your epistemological viewpoint won't be laughably antiquated with new information or evolving worldviews later on? You're putting your faith in a system of knowledge, just like anyone else. Faith by definition is unquantifiable--it is outside the realm of measurement. It doesn't matter how much of a faith leap it is, you're still making a faith leap.

I don't see the relevance of your third point, either. I'm a firm believer in evolution and have a minor in biochemistry; Christianity does not preclude science. You're making presumptions, arguing against a small demographic not representative of the more encompassing theistic religion, effectively creating a strawman.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I never read it in the first place; I was engaged in a subdiscussion in this thread.

i know. i was prodding you :newwink:

You're sucking in the metaphysical into an episteme revolving around the physical, placing boxes and boundaries around that which by definition does not share the same characteristics as the natural laws.

Statements.

People make statements, including statements about the metaphysical. How do we know if they are true? The system I was referring to (a priori, a posteriori, analytic, synthetic) is tied to Immanuel Kant. He was not "pulling the metaphysical itself" into a box, he did however categorize how a statement about metaphysics would ever be proven true (it would have to be an a priori synthetic). Statements can be categorized based on criteria. There is nothing illogical about categorizing statements.

Where's the logic in that, outside of saying, "I choose to have faith in this episteme to the exclusion of other possible epistemes." Where's the substantiation for that belief? Your claims only make sense if one starts with the same premises, and every selection and deflection of all the possible premises revolve around beliefs.

It's true that you could reject the criteria used for categorizing statements. Look at what you're rejecting: a priori = before experience, a posteriori = after experience, analytic = predicate deduced from the subject, synthetic = predicate induced from the subject They may all sound like fancy words and premises that you can easily reject. But if you reject those premises:

1. If analytic and synthetic aren't exhaustive, then what form of reasoning do you think you're relying on besides induction or deduction?

2. If a posteriori and a priori aren't exhaustive, then what form of content are you operating on, if it isnt after experience, and its not before experience, then what is it?

Thus, the system may seem arbitrary, but when analyzed, to reject it puts you squarely in a metaphysical camp. The system itself does not preclude metaphysics. It would be only be someone's lack of ability to come up with a metaphysical statement that would "precludes metaphysics". the system is thus not unfalsifiable, because even Kant himself believed some metaphysical statements fit the system. I hold some statements to pass the test as well. Kant and I dont agree on which statements though. As I said, a priori synthetic statements: will only ever be true, for you.

You're putting your faith in a system of knowledge, just like anyone else. Faith by definition is unquantifiable--it is outside the realm of measurement. It doesn't matter how much of a faith leap it is, you're still making a faith leap.

As I said earlier, you can reject the system, but if you do, there are some pretty ridiculous questions to be answered (i spelled out the questions earlier in this post as #1 and #2).

Secondly, you are putting faith of any kind on an equal level, this is a mistake. You are in essence saying that all induction is an equal level of induction, no matter what. It is true that faith cant be quantified with a number, it can however be categorized. Synthetic built on a priori is not the same as synthetic built on a posteriori. --> Induction of metaphysics is not the same as induction based on experienced reality.

I don't see the relevance of your third point, either. I'm a firm believer in evolution and have a minor in biochemistry; Christianity does not preclude science. You're making presumptions, arguing against a small demographic not representative of the more encompassing theistic religion, effectively creating a strawman.

You misunderstood the point of said #3. My entire discussion has included the idea that only metaphysics can exclude other metaphysics. My point in number three was that science occupies a different category than metaphysics and thus it would be wrong to blame the scientists for metaphysical assumptions. (Blame them for bad metaphysics only if they explicitly make metaphysical statements, which would then not even be science).

I'm sensing some canned responses. Im not your typical agnostic. I dont need to be told that science doesnt preclude metaphysics. That has never been my point in this thread. :)

Usehername

On a mission
^They're not canned responses--your points make sense when we start with the same premises that to know if there is a god we would look for evidence and then decide if there likely is or isn't one.

On the contrary, faith, by definition, requires one to begin their inquiry with the premise that there is a god.

You claim this is unreasonable; I claim that it's unreasonable to presume that if the supernatural exists it should obey any of the epistemes that we associate with our more scientific ways of knowing.

I never asserted that the faith-leaps were equal, I said that the faith leaps are, by definition, leaps of faith, and nothing more about that matters. Yes, this definition includes people who believe unicorns dance around on the moon. The difference is that we could actually go to the moon and find that information out using science's episteme, because that faith system is relegated to the realm of natural law. Religion is not relegated to the realm of natural law, so all of our ways of knowing about it are unfalsifiable. Hence, the key word, faith. Your argument makes sense because you're self-selecting into your definition of reason. Not every reasonable person agrees with your limited definition of reason. There's many philosophers who would back up that position, and who have done so, with extensive writing.

[Also, sorry if I come off as being grouchy; I am ticked that I'm online when I should be studying when I have a potentially life-determining test to take in a matter of days, but this frustration is directed only toward myself.]

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
On the contrary, faith, by definition, requires one to begin their inquiry with the premise that there is a god.

Wow, im tempted to just stop here. It says so much about everything! :D

You claim this is unreasonable; I claim that it's unreasonable to presume that if the supernatural exists it should obey any of the epistemes that we associate with our more scientific ways of knowing.

Ah, I think you finally agree with me. :) I too agree that metaphysics do not conform to our scientific ways of knowing! (metaphysics will never be proven or disproven by a posteriori synthetics). The sad fact is though, that if "metaphysical knowing" is possible, it will have to conform to at least one of our ways of knowing, period. I've mapped out 4 ways in this thread, only one of them applies to metaphysics.

Not every reasonable person agrees with your limited definition of reason. There's many philosophers who would back up that position, and who have done so, with extensive writing.

I'm aware of this. Nietzsche is the prime critic of Kant. This is a great segway to one of my craziest discoveries:

Christians are Nihilists. :huh: :D. I know, you're thinking, "WTF?!". Basically your objection to Kant is that you think his 4 categories are meaningless. You're 100% entitled to think that. You are entitled to reject that we have the capability of categorizing knowledge. That road has historically lead to nihilism, which i reject on principle :jew:

[Also, sorry if I come off as being grouchy; I am ticked that I'm online when I should be studying when I have a potentially life-determining test to take in a matter of days, but this frustration is directed only toward myself.]
oh you too? I should be studying as well. Well, lets laugh at my latest discovery, and we'll take a break for now. Pick up next week...

Owl

desert pelican
MBTI Type
INTP
I'm aware of this. Nietzsche is the prime critic of Kant. This is a great segway to one of my craziest discoveries:

Christians are Nihilists. :huh: :D. I know, you're thinking, "WTF?!". Basically your objection to Kant is that you think his 4 categories are meaningless. You're 100% entitled to think that. You are entitled to reject that we have the capability of categorizing knowledge. That road has historically lead to nihilism, which i reject on principle :jew:

Most Christians are nihilist--if not in theory, then in practice.

A priori synthetic statements are possible; it's possible to make some headway in metaphysics. I needn't refer to my experience to know there are no square-circles. I needn't exhaustively search the universe in order to confirm that indeed there are no square-circles. In order to make the inference that there are no square-circles takes a commitment to reason, i.e., that reason is ontological. That contradictions are necessarily false is a statement about the nature of thought; to leap from this logical formulation to metaphysical necessity cannot be confirmed by experience. If you don't believe that the laws of reason hold sway in the noumenal realm, then no about of experience will ever convince you that they do: you could search the entire universe for a square-circle, fail to find one, yet still believe that one could exist.

We can learn about what is by using reason to know what it's not.

lane777

nevermore
Since the New Testament is the Christian's guide to righteous living, every verse in this post is taken from it.

Haphazard said:
To be fruitful and multiply

Christians are no longer called to follow the law. However, there are various laws that I choose to practice. For instance, I avoid certain foods for health reasons. But I'm not following them to save my soul - which is the action of many false Christians. A true Christian will never claim that the law saves.

Galatians 5:2-6 Look: I, Paul, say to you that if you accept circumcision, Christ will be of no advantage to you. I testify again to every man who accepts circumcision that he is obligated to keep the whole law. You are severed from Christ, you who would be justified by the law; you have fallen away from grace. For through the Spirit, by faith, we ourselves eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness. For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision counts for anything, but only faith working through love.

1 Timothy 4:1-3 Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by devoting themselves to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons, through the insincerity of liars whose consciences are seared, who forbid marriage and require abstinence from foods that God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth.

Haphazard said:
Not to commit sodomy with a male

Romans 1:26-27 For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.

Haphazard said:
Not to have intercourse with a beast

1 Corinthians 6:18 Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a man commits are outside his body, but he who sins sexually sins against his own body.

What does God consider sexual immorality? Looking back at the law (since the law tells us what sin is) bestiality is a sexual sin.

Haphazard said:
That the violator (of an unbetrothed virgin) shall marry her (this used to be law in some places, is generally not considered in modern Western societies)

This is not taught in the New Testament.

Haphazard said:
Not to practice nachesh (doing things based on signs and portents; using charms and incantations)

Galatians 5:19-21 Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Haphazard said:
Not to consult ovoth (ghosts)

Ghosts do not exist. When we pass away, the soul of a man sleeps in temporary death until Christ's return to earth.

John 3:13-15 No one has ascended into heaven except he who descended from heaven, the Son of Man.

John 5:26-29 For as the Father has life in himself, so he has granted the Son also to have life in himself. And he has given him authority to execute judgment, because he is the Son of Man. Do not marvel at this, for an hour is coming when all who are in the tombs will hear his voice and come out, those who have done good to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil to the resurrection of judgment.

1 Thessalonians 4:15-17 For this we declare to you by a word from the Lord, that we who are alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have fallen asleep. For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord.

Anyways, consulting demons is forbidden:

1 Corinthians 10:20-21 No, I imply that what pagans sacrifice they offer to demons and not to God. I do not want you to be participants with demons. You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons. You cannot partake of the table of the Lord and the table of demons.

LEGERdeMAIN

A true christian would never tell his kids that a fat guy with rosy cheeks B&E's the house once a year and leaves boxes full of temporary crappy plastic toys for them to play with for five or six days until they fall apart.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
A true christian would never tell his kids that a fat guy with rosy cheeks B&E's the house once a year and leaves boxes full of temporary crappy plastic toys for them to play with for five or six days until they fall apart.

Does this mean you're a Jehovah's Witness?:coffee:

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
There are certain things that Christian law has kept from the original 613 Jewish commandments, and certain ones that they want.

There are many commandments that explicitly concern moral rectitude, but also many that do not:

Christians have broken many of these commandments.

Did Jesus take the time to revoke all these rules specifically? :huh: Can someone explain why some rules that don't have distinct moral value still be considered so important while so many aren't?
Those are not commandments for Christians.
Lord Jesus revoked them.

In a Christian Church, there is only two commandments.
Love God more than yourself.
Love the other as much as yourself.

It is only one commandment.
If you love the other as much as you love yourself, it follows you love God more.

Einstein said: God does not throw dice.
Jesus said: God has many mansions.

It is one statement.

Is the moon there when you do not look?
Not for you.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Those are not commandments for Christians.
Lord Jesus revoked them.

In a Christian Church, there is only two commandments.
Love God more than yourself.
Love the other as much as yourself.

It is only one commandment.
If you love the other as much as you love yourself, it follows you love God more.

Einstein said: God does not throw dice.
Jesus said: God has many mansions.

It is one statement.

Is the moon there when you do not look?
Not for you.

Which is all well and good, but how would you deal with this scripture:

Matthew 5:17-20 (Jesus speaking)
17"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.

lane777

nevermore
Which is all well and good, but how would you deal with this scripture:

Matthew 5:17-20 (Jesus speaking)
17"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.

You're taking the verse out of context. This mistake is common even among Christians who do not study The Word. We must look at Matthew 5:17-20 in light of every single other verse in The Word. The whole Bible is inspired by God:

2 Timothy 3:16-17 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.

Jesus Christ stands for God's instruction as well as the disciples - not only what He taught when with us in the flesh. In fact, Jesus Christ IS The Word:

John 1:14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.

If we look at the message of the Bible in it's entirety, we will discover we are no longer bound by, or slaves to the law. In other words, we are no longer condemned if we cannot fulfill the entire law (an achievement only Jesus Christ can claim). We are called to rise above legalism and follow Christ with a changed heart through the power of the Holy Spirit.

Those who read The Word without the endowment of the Holy Spirit will not fully comprehend what they're reading. The Bible cannot be treated as a regular text. It is supernatural in nature:

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is living and active...

1 Corinthians 2:10-14 these things God has revealed to us through the Spirit. For the Spirit searches everything, even the depths of God. For who knows a person’s thoughts except the spirit of that person, which is in him? So also no one comprehends the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. Now we have received not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might understand the things freely given us by God. And we impart this in words not taught by human wisdom but taught by the Spirit, interpreting spiritual truths to those who are spiritual. The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You're taking the verse out of context.

Actually, I was more curious to see how it would be answered... as it is a common rebuttal to that sort of statement... regardless of whatever my own personal stance happens to be.

This mistake is common even among Christians who do not study The Word. We must look at Matthew 5:17-20 in light of every single other verse in The Word. The whole Bible is inspired by God:

2 Timothy 3:16-17 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.

Um, dude, now YOU are taking the Bible out of context... how ironic.

That verse was written by Paul before the New Testament even existed. It's doubtful that even the Gospels were written at that point.

That verse realistically can only apply to the Old Testament scriptures. it only applies to the New Testament if you start making assumptions about which words are God's and which aren't.

Please, let's be consistent.

Jesus Christ stands for God's instruction as well as the disciples - not only what He taught when with us in the flesh. In fact, Jesus Christ IS The Word:

John 1:14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.

If we look at the message of the Bible in it's entirety, we will discover we are no longer bound by, or slaves to the law. In other words, we are no longer condemned if we cannot fulfill the entire law (an achievement only Jesus Christ can claim). We are called to rise above legalism and follow Christ with a changed heart through the power of the Holy Spirit.

Those who read The Word without the endowment of the Holy Spirit will not fully comprehend what they're reading. The Bible cannot be treated as a regular text. It is supernatural in nature:

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is living and active...

1 Corinthians 2:10-14 these things God has revealed to us through the Spirit. For the Spirit searches everything, even the depths of God. For who knows a person’s thoughts except the spirit of that person, which is in him? So also no one comprehends the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. Now we have received not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might understand the things freely given us by God. And we impart this in words not taught by human wisdom but taught by the Spirit, interpreting spiritual truths to those who are spiritual. The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned.

Okay, this just veered out of the realm of an intellectual assessment of the Bible and into personal beliefs.

We can't possibly discuss what a particular verse means if you already have decided for yourself what it must mean because you have chosen to make certain assumptions about it... then basically also make the case that "if you don't understand the Bible the way I do, you must not know God or be a believer, which is why you disagree with me."

As I said above, you can't use quotes from the New Testament to discuss a book that did not exist at the time the quotes were written. Not in this style of discussion. Now, if you are saying, "I am a proponent of this particular denomination, and we believe yada yada yada, and so hence this verse must mean this, due to our denom's assumptions," then certainly.

But no, not here.

Your arguments describe your personal beliefs, but they aren't anything anyone can engage. I'm also seeing that you never really answered my rebuttal... even if it was a basic level challenge on my part, to see what the answer would be.

lane777

nevermore
They contribute to human happiness, in every culture that's known to exist, yet aren't inborn?

One relatively primitive region of the brain has indeed been observed making us feel good about making others happy (as long as they're perceived as deserving it and we haven't yet been conditioned to class them as part of the 'out-group') and bad about making them unhappy. Other animal species have this instinct too.

It's in competition with other instincts of course, the desires for food, sex, security and revenge being a few that can over-ride the desire not to cause distress depending on the circumstances and relative strengths of these desires at the time. It's one thing to suggest this 'conscience' is a gift from God, but it's another to ignore all the evidence that it's something we're born with.

My point was merely that morality, at least, if we're talking strictly about the 'Golden Rule' aspect of morality, which we probably are as lane777 was talking about the precepts that atheists tend to follow, is indeed inborn. Most Christians I know do believe that it's inborn as well, so it wasn't even a theistic vs. atheistic point.

Genesis 8:19-21 Every beast, every creeping thing, and every bird, everything that moves on the earth, went out by families from the ark. And when the LORD smelled the pleasing aroma, the LORD said in his heart, "I will never again curse the ground because of man, for the intention of man’s heart is evil from his youth. Neither will I ever again strike down every living creature as I have done."

Any good that comes from man is not due to instinct. Because of God's grace, he chooses to restrain much of the evil in man. There are many examples in The Word of God doing this very thing, possibly the most well known instance is when God placed a hedge of protection around Job to keep Satan from taking his life.

No, I was not referring to The Golden Rule. My morals are based on the teachings of The Word. Anyways, the video below does a good job of explaining my stance.

All Men Are Born Evil

lane777

nevermore
Jennifer said:
Um, dude, now YOU are taking the Bible out of context... how ironic.

That verse was written by Paul before the New Testament even existed. It's doubtful that even the Gospels were written at that point.

That verse realistically can only apply to the Old Testament scriptures. it only applies to the New Testament if you start making assumptions about which words are God's and which aren't.

Please, let's be consistent.

The point you're making is not relevant. It's not necessary for the New Testament books to exist prior to Paul's writing of Timothy to make it applicable to the whole Bible. The fact that God willed the New Testament books to end up in the Bible makes it His word.

Okay, this just veered out of the realm of an intellectual assessment of the Bible...

That's part of the point I was trying to make with the verses I provided: The Bible cannot be understood solely on intellectual grounds.

and into personal beliefs.

I thought the point of this thread was to gain insight into a Christian's beliefs, not debate them.

We can't possibly discuss what a particular verse means if you already have decided for yourself what it must mean because you have chosen to make certain assumptions about it... then basically also make the case that "if you don't understand the Bible the way I do, you must not know God or be a believer, which is why you disagree with me."

Again, I did not post with the intent to debate. I was simply pointing out that you will have a different take on the scripture than a Christian will since a non believer will not have the Holy Spirit to give them understanding of it. Christian's view the scriptures with different eyes... it's useless to argue with any Christian for this reason. I was only trying to keep a debate from happening here and discouraging you from debating from Christians in the future - to spare you the frustration; Christian views will seem very illogical to the unbeliever.

Your arguments describe your personal beliefs, but they aren't anything anyone can engage. I'm also seeing that you never really answered my rebuttal... even if it was a basic level challenge on my part, to see what the answer would be.

I have. My point was this: you cannot understand the scripture properly without the Holy Spirit.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
This guy is psycho. Sorry dude. I will gladly share the thoughts that I've had in the last hour with anyone, including random strangers. 18-month old babies are evil?! Holy hell brother. Psycho. This shit pisses me off. And this this nut bar will go forth and have 25 "evil" children, only to beat them with a Bible(or rod, or whatever he can get his filthy hands on) at 18-months old, because they were reaching for his shiny Bulova that he paid for with the "faithful's" money. Makes. Me. Sick.