• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is the American frame of mind?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
The people of this country might take care of their own at the local level, but nationally the nation is divided. Why is it that if some false cataclysm, like communism in Vietnam, or Saddam Hussein manufacturing WMDs is capable of galvanize the masses to unite against a common enemy, but as a people we are unable to tackle issues at home like health care, education, and the inevitable downfall of the social security system?

The country is divided because they're trying to take care of their own.

With foreign policy, their own is all of America. However, with domestic issues, their own is their constituents, who are likely to fervently disagree with someone else's constituents.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The country is divided because they're trying to take care of their own.

they're = elitist politicians

"They're" passing legislation/implementing programs that they are trying to take care of THEIR OWN elitist corporate/public peers and their interests at the expense of US - the American people.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
they're = elitist politicians

"They're" passing legislation/implementing programs that they are trying to take care of THEIR OWN elitist corporate/public peers and their interests at the expense of US - the American people.

But technically speaking, that doesn't preclude them from the above statement. They're taking care of their own. It's just that their own happen to be elite corporations rather than the American people.

Basically, our leaders don't share our interests, and have no real interest in us.

I'd say that we should fix it, but I really don't see a way. It seems like there's no lasting way to give people power to do what's necessary that they won't eventually find a way to divide, conquer, and abuse. It's like, new governments always start off with a kind of promise and purity, and run smoothly when first created. Then, things start going wrong, and the government is reformed. Each reform usually restores the nation temporarily, but the effectiveness of this approach slowly decays with each reform, until the government is a faction of its own, all but useless to the people. It almost reminds me of cars... they inevitably break down from use, and you can only repair them so many times until they break down so badly you end up junking them.

Check the history of several past nations, especially great nations that held lots of power, and see if you don't find this pattern.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
But technically speaking, that doesn't preclude them from the above statement. They're taking care of their own. It's just that their own happen to be elite corporations rather than the American people.

Technically speaking, any public official who puts the wants/needs of their own elitist cadre above the needs of their constituents hardly fit the profile of virtuous beliefs extolled in the O.P. You're splitting atoms for no reason. Stop dredging the forest floor and get yourself up to the treetop level.

Basically, our leaders don't share our interests, and have no real interest in us.

Agreed. Is this part of the "American Frame of Mind?"

I'd say that we should fix it, but I really don't see a way. It seems like there's no lasting way to give people power to do what's necessary that they won't eventually find a way to divide, conquer, and abuse. It's like, new governments always start off with a kind of promise and purity, and run smoothly when first created. Then, things start going wrong, and the government is reformed. Each reform usually restores the nation temporarily, but the effectiveness of this approach slowly decays with each reform, until the government is a faction of its own, all but useless to the people.

Nicely put.

It almost reminds me of cars... they inevitably break down from use, and you can only repair them so many times until they break down so badly you end up junking them.

Very funny analogy, I love it. If the "American Frame of Mind" is in any way similar to the operational business methodology of General Motors then we are all screwed and need to move to Canada...or Cuba.

Check the history of several past nations, especially great nations that held lots of power, and see if you don't find this pattern.

Rome, anyone?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Technically speaking, any public official who puts the wants/needs of their own elitist cadre above the needs of their constituents hardly fit the profile of virtuous beliefs extolled in the O.P. You're splitting atoms for no reason. Stop dredging the forest floor and get yourself up to the treetop level.

I never said it was virtuous. I just said it was there.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I never said it was virtuous. I just said it was there.

That's right, Oberon was hung up on virtue.
Pardon me.
Now that I know "it" is "there" I'm OK with everything. :newwink:

Don't get me wrong, I love my country.

In the many states and cities I have lived, I can honestly say that the people I would characterize as "good" out number the "bad" by a wide margin.

Typical teachings in the education/upbringing of many Americans include:

(1) Get good grades and you can get a good job
(2) Any natively born American citizen can become the President.
(3) Work hard and good things will come your way.
(4) Take the high road.
(5) The value of individuality in our society.

The list above is hardly exhaustive, just illustrative. However...

I know plenty of people with impeccable GPAs and a crap salary/benefits package.

There is no way that anyone can convince me at this point in my life that any U.S. born citizen can become President, not unless they happen to go to Yale Law and join the Skull & Bones Society.

For too long I worked my ass off and saw the fruit of my labors distributed to cronies instead of a good raise/bonus for me.

I've taken the high road time and time again during my life, but that hasn't stopped others from playing dirty and causing grief to others.

Regarding individuality, it seems that it is fine and good at the societal level as long as a person is part of the ruling 51%.

Does this mean I will stop doing my best, doing the right thing, and being myself?

Of course not.

I'm just not going to walk through life expecting things to go rosey because I am following some prescribed ideology, working my ass off, and being a good boy.

Work hard, be good, and look out for your fellow man, but don't ever forget to watch your back, and don't get so comfortable that you don't question the way things are going. There are alot of folks in powerful positions that do not practive what they preach, and expect us all to be OK with them exploiting the masses for their own benefit.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Personally, I'm jealous of the corrupt politicians. Why can't I be a corrupt politician and have fun exploiting the masses?! :cry:

I wish they'd cut me in. I would honestly prefer to be a corrupt politician living the good life than an honest worker. Come on, I can be an intellectual. I can act superior. I can lie. I can keep up appearances. I can change my values to match the people who are paying me. Please? Sigh...

Most people probably tend to feel proud of their achievements and are disgusted with these politicians who got something without earning it, and merely view them with contempt. Not me, I want what they've got. I'm not "too good" to behave like them, darn it...

Ah, well... I guess it's just a matter of luck. And I'm stuck down here with all the peasants. How annoying. I guess I just have the heart of a corrupt politician, not the actual position.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Personally, I'm jealous of the corrupt politicians. Why can't I be a corrupt politician and have fun exploiting the masses?! :cry:

I wish they'd cut me in. I would honestly prefer to be a corrupt politician living the good life than an honest worker. Come on, I can be an intellectual. I can act superior. I can lie. I can keep up appearances. I can change my values to match the people who are paying me. Please? Sigh...

Most people probably tend to feel proud of their achievements and are disgusted with these politicians who got something without earning it, and merely view them with contempt. Not me, I want what they've got. I'm not "too good" to behave like them, darn it...

Ah, well... I guess it's just a matter of luck. And I'm stuck down here with all the peasants. How annoying.

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

O

Oberon

Funny how irrelevant your comment above is, as I haven't watched television with any regularity whatsoever for over 15 years.

This nation as a whole wouldn't be in such a debaucle if a majority of its citizens upheld the classical virtues you described earlier.

At this point I don't know what exactly you are getting at, and am fine with agreeing to disagree with you.

I truly wish that the masses of this nation exhibited a uniform adherence to a strong code of persosal integrity as you described, but the very diversity that makes this nation great also diminishes the commonalities held by all citizens, making your viewpoint implausible from what I can tell. Yes we all have DNA, and are mammals, but once you get into education, moral/spititual preferences, common virtues, etc. the list that all/most are on gets shorter and shorter and shorter, right?

Not trying to be a wanker, just letting you know where I'm coming from... :coffee:

I'm sorry, I shouldn't be so dismissive. I've been awfully short-tempered of late. I think it's fatigue. I apologize.

But, really, I know plenty of people who represent the value set I enumerated to you. I think those themes are still part of the national character. Then again, most of my real-life friends are either rural independent times, or wish they were.

All I can do is report what I see from where I'm standing.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
That's right, Oberon was hung up on virtue.
Pardon me.
Now that I know "it" is "there" I'm OK with everything. :newwink:

Don't get me wrong, I love my country.

In the many states and cities I have lived, I can honestly say that the people I would characterize as "good" out number the "bad" by a wide margin.

Typical teachings in the education/upbringing of many Americans include:

(1) Get good grades and you can get a good job
(2) Any natively born American citizen can become the President.
(3) Work hard and good things will come your way.
(4) Take the high road.
(5) The value of individuality in our society.

The list above is hardly exhaustive, just illustrative. However...

I know plenty of people with impeccable GPAs and a crap salary/benefits package.

There is no way that anyone can convince me at this point in my life that any U.S. born citizen can become President, not unless they happen to go to Yale Law and join the Skull & Bones Society.

For too long I worked my ass off and saw the fruit of my labors distributed to cronies instead of a good raise/bonus for me.

I've taken the high road time and time again during my life, but that hasn't stopped others from playing dirty and causing grief to others.

Regarding individuality, it seems that it is fine and good at the societal level as long as a person is part of the ruling 51%.

Does this mean I will stop doing my best, doing the right thing, and being myself?

Of course not.

I'm just not going to walk through life expecting things to go rosey because I am following some prescribed ideology, working my ass off, and being a good boy.

Work hard, be good, and look out for your fellow man, but don't ever forget to watch your back, and don't get so comfortable that you don't question the way things are going. There are alot of folks in powerful positions that do not practive what they preach, and expect us all to be OK with them exploiting the masses for their own benefit.

Yeah...good post. American values are also present here in Italy, in many ways, but people are a bit more aware of your (really good) objections, it seems, probably simply because we've dealt with them for more centuires. But yeah I can see how your post totally applies to many, many situation in the western world, the 5 expectations you speak about sometimes seem to have been thought as the best way to exploit people by making them work hard for a supposed future reward.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah...good post. American values are also present here in Italy, in many ways, but people are a bit more aware of your (really good) objections, it seems, probably simply because we've dealt with them for more centuires. But yeah I can see how your post totally applies to many, many situation in the western world, the 5 expectations you speak about sometimes seem to have been thought as the best way to exploit people by making them work hard for a supposed future reward.

Hey, thanks FDG.

Europeans definitley have more experience living in a corrupt industrialized world.

Exploitation of good will among men and the Calvinist work ethic are cornerstones of many modern nations.

Hopefully we all figure out a better way to live, sooner than later.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm afraid I'll have to pardon you also, for reading more into my post than I intended.

I accept your pardon. :D

Sometimes I take things a bit too literally, but I'm half German and sometimes guilty of being direct/low context.

At any rate, there's no hard feelings on my side. We just ended up in a long and complicated conversation. :shock:

Cheers,

-Halla

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I honestly don't think there is 'one' American frame of mind. The views of the people of the country are so varied and different from each other.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I honestly don't think there is 'one' American frame of mind. The views of the people of the country are so varied and different from each other.

It's much easier if you divide America into at least four parts -- your Mid Atlantic, your West Coast, your South, and everything else. If you can find something those four have in common that is not so in common with Canada, then that would be an American frame of mind.

I know people keep saying to stop comparing America to third world countries but look at other countries that are very large. They often have a lot of ethnic and separatist tension. America doesn't have that -- of course there are still hate crimes but they're between individuals and don't often manifest into movements, at least anymore. What's up with this.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
It's much easier if you divide America into at least four parts -- your Mid Atlantic, your West Coast, your South, and everything else. If you can find something those four have in common that is not so in common with Canada, then that would be an American frame of mind.

I guarantee you those regions will agree on very little.

I know people keep saying to stop comparing America to third world countries but look at other countries that are very large. They often have a lot of ethnic and separatist tension. America doesn't have that -- of course there are still hate crimes but they're between individuals and don't often manifest into movements, at least anymore. What's up with this.

This is mainly because America is a large country with so many nationalities and cultures, and the variety of views that the people have also contribute to this.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I guarantee you those regions will agree on very little.

This is mainly because America is a large country with so many nationalities and cultures, and the variety of views that the people have also contribute to this.

I see you have a Simpson's icon. This idea of America is almost like that episode when Mr. Burns says that he's so diseased that all the diseases are stuck in the door, and none of them can get in.

America is gridlocked, so progress is best made by individuals?