• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Aren't we all racists?

Aren't we all racists?

• Yes, in a way.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • No way.

Votes: 16 23.5%
  • Prejudiced, but not racist.

Votes: 35 51.5%

• Total voters
G

Ginkgo

For what reason?

I avoid conflict in general. Furthermore, I don't like using "racial" terminologies at all. In fact, when I see the question "What race are you?" on a survey, I choose not to respond.

I think the term "racist" has been watered down over past few decades due to over-usage. 50 years ago, a racist was a person who wanted to treat a particular race as a second class citizen. This would either happen because one race would feel superior to the other, or because one race felt threatened by the other. For example, the primary reason why the Nazi propaganda worked so effectively was because most people felt economically threatened by the Jews. On the other hand, you will find that most of America and Europe, at one time, literally felt that Africans were a lower species. Therefore, they did not deserve the same rights as "humans".

Today, we know that differences among races are minimal to a degree that there are overlaps between individuals. Therefore, all races are much more equal than we once thought they were.

We are not all racists, because today most Americans don't want to treat certain races as second class citizens. Those who do are ignorant bigots or attention whores.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I thought originally a good number of white Southerners were against the Civil War because they thought it was a rich man's war? What happened to them?

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
In American culture, many people keep the history of slavery in mind. Because of this, I think some of us are scared of offending African Americans. This produces a "reverse prejudice" affect in which some jerkish African Americans aren't held accountable for their behavior. White people are sometimes deathly afraid of someone pulling "the race card".

I think the term "racist" is overused. Like if a someone person refers to another person as "black," "hispanic," etc. then they are deemed as racist even though they are just describing the person. Unless it is a derogatory remark, no one is being racist!

In my opinion, it's better to say "black" rather than "African American" because being African American implies that you have ancestors of African decent, which is not necessarily true.

Oh, and I voted for the third option now that there's a poll.

Random story I want to tell:
So I have this friend, and we aren't very close, but she's one of the closest friends I have (sadly). Anyway, it seemed like her mouth was constantly moving so I told her to be quiet (I do this with a lot of annoying people). Almost immediately after, she called me a "racist." I thought she was joking at first, but she was quite serious. My reaction was sort of like this :huh:. No one has ever seriously called me that and it didn't even make sense here.

G

Ginkgo

Ah, irony...

I was specifically referring to Enfper's picture. Not all people who wave Confederate flags are racist. Maybe not even the ones in her picture. Who knows?

I live in a city where racism is almost non-existent (at least in my neighborhood). I probably don't have the best impression of the socio-economic/psychological environments of the south.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
And since this subject always bring out misunderstandings, let me elaborate on my personal stance; I like the Confederate flag, I emotionally associate it with my culture, my familial heritage, and my regional homeland. I also understand why most blacks dislike the flag, and I think they're opinion is equally valid, and for that reason I don't think state flags should include it-I just resent and oppose the uncritical demonization toward people who choose to display the flag.

Last edited:

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
Millions more Southerners would put Confederate flags on theirs cars if they were not afraid of being stigmatized as racist, and harassed accordingly. Many Southerners do so anyway in order to express their identity in defiance of possible social ostracism (kind of like gay people displaying "gay pride" bumper-stickers in religiously conservative areas), or because they figure they have nothing to lose from social ostracism.
I hope not. Using that line of thinking, perhaps millions more whites would join the Klan as well. I actually think much more highly of people in general, and doubt that you are correct.

So you're saying that the Southern Whites who display the flag are doing so in defiance? Defiance of whom or of what? The Confederate flag is on the capital grounds in many southern States. Who are these people defying? Themselves? They live in Conservative areas, and represent a large part of the dominant culture. They are not the minority, unlike gays in a religiously conservative area(or most any area actually).

wolfy

awsm
As far as Japan is concerned... There is no doubt that racism does exist in Japan but I've lived here in Japan for 12 years and haven't had any trouble fitting in. Neither have my kids. I am a New Zealander and my wife is Japanese.

I've never had any racism directed at me. Neither have my kids.

G

Ginkgo

I think the term "racist" is overused. Like if a someone person refers to another person as "black," "hispanic," etc. then they are deemed as racist even though they are just describing the person. Unless it is a derogatory remark, no one is being racist!

+1 (This is one reason why I avoid using these terms).

ygolo

My termites win
If we stretch the word as done in the OP, yes I suppose I am racist.

I make friends more easily with black an brown individuals...I suppose that makes me some what racist. Still many of my closest friends are white.

Also, I am more attracted to white skinned women. Especially, milky-white-skinned women, especially brunettes and redheads. Still I appreciate all types of beauty, in all races. But I suppose this preference makes me a bit racist (again stretching the word).

I think we have to be careful, however. True racism is insidious and debilitating to the people who are afflicted. It is especially insidious when a majority group holds racist attitudes towards a minority group...you know in the "they are lesser beings" in some way sort of racism.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
And since this subject always bring out misunderstandings, let me elaborate on my personal stance; I like the Confederate flag, I emotionally associate it with my culture, my familial heritage, and my regional homeland. I also understand why most blacks dislike the flag, and I think they're opinion is equally valid, and for that reason I don't think state flags should include it-I just resent and oppose the uncritical demonization toward people who choose to display the flag.
One of my good friends in high school had a pick up truck that loudly played "Dixie" when he honked.:wubbie: He also had a huge belt buckle with the flag on it that was his favorite. I look at people as individuals, and don't hold the view that every person who displays the flag is any more racist than anyone else. My point was about rather or not it's PC for whites to display their racial pride, and I stand by the assertion that it is.

I have nothing personal against the Confederate flag, no more blacks died under it than the American flag.

I also voted for prejudice, not racist. I don't think that everyone is racist.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
I hope not. Using that line of thinking, perhaps millions more whites would join the Klan as well.

No, only the minority who would display the flag out of racist intent.

As for the rest, people are "defying" the social pressure to repress their identity in order to avoid offending people they would like to be friends/neighbors/co-workers/etc with. For instance, you would apparently automatically dismiss someone with a Confederate flag on their truck, rather than get to know them and perhaps find a new friend you have a lot in common with, who just happens to disagree with you concerning the meaning of that particular flag. That is analogous to a religious conservative dismissing an openly gay person who might very well be a lot like them, otherwise. Of course, there's more tangible pressure people would be defiant toward, such as economic reprisals and general harassment.

G

Ginkgo

I was actually asking you why you were so deathly afraid of offending black people. Are you deathly afraid of offending everyone?

Well, if I am offending someone, I want it to be in good taste. (If that makes any sense). If an individuals personal growth rests upon being criticized, then I will take the opportunity.

However, racist comments don't help anyone grow. They whither peoples' self esteem. And I don't want to be perceived as a racist by anyone because I am not one.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
No, only the minority who would display the flag out of racist intent.
Look, I have a German uncle, right. His father was a Nazi. It's part of his heritage and all. His dad fought in the war and all.**shivers** Nonetheless, that tiny part of history, in which my uncle wasn't even alive for, is not something he wishes to display and identify with. The South has a rich history, and part of that history includes abolitionism. Why isn't that part of the history waved all over the place as a source of pride? How many little Southern children, black or white, do you think can name a Southern abolitionist? More than one?

The reason people associate the flag with a racist intent is because flying it recalls a part of Southern history that pertained to the states fighting for their rights to keep black slaves. The flip side to that history, where many Southern whites risked their lives to free the Southern black slaves, is rarely a part of the "pride".

For instance, you would apparently automatically dismiss someone with a Confederate flag on their truck, rather than get to know them and perhaps find a new friend you have a lot in common with, who just happens to disagree with you concerning the meaning of that particular flag.
Absolutely not ever. See my post above.

Of course, there's more tangible pressure people would be defiant toward, such as economic reprisals and general harassment.
Uh huh. Economic reprisal in the South for being a Confederate sympathizer? You mean the type that Strom Thurmond or Maurice Bessinger benefited suffered?
MrB.jpg

I avoid conflict in general. Furthermore, I don't like using "racial" terminologies at all.
You said that you were "deathly" afraid of offending black people, not Asians or anyone else. I was just wondering why that was.

G

Ginkgo

You said that you were "deathly" afraid of offending black people, not Asians or anyone else. I was just wondering why that was.

The phrase "I am deathly afraid of offending black people" does not exclude any other person or race.

I believe the phrase you are looking for is "I am deathly afraid offending only black people".

As I said earlier, I don't like to offend anyone, and if I offended you by saying that, then I apologize. :hug:

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
The phrase "I am deathly afraid of offending black people" does not exclude any other person or race.

I believe the phrase you are looking for is "I am deathly afraid offending only black people".

As I said earlier, I don't like to offend anyone, and if I offended you by saying that, then I apologize. :hug:
OMG. Don't go all NFP "we are the world" on me.:hug:
You pointed out a fear of offending a certain demographic of people, and I wanted to know why since your statement didn't appear to be prompted, and then you mentioned "reverse prejudice" and jerkish African Americans. It all seemed very loaded. I'm just trying to find out what the root of all that was. Personal experience?

G

Ginkgo

OMG. Don't go all NFP "we are the world" on me.:hug:
You pointed out a fear of offending a certain demographic of people, and I wanted to know why since your statement didn't appear to be prompted, and then you mentioned "reverse prejudice" and jerkish African Americans. It all seemed very loaded. I'm just trying to find out what the root of all that was. Personal experience?

No, I just saw a Dave Chappelle skit in which the main character was a black werewolf. Every time anyone accused him of eating people, he would label them a racist, even thought he did in fact eat someone.

My father also works for a pharmacy in which some of the technicians slack off. Some of them are white, some are black, some are Hispanic, but it seems that the white individuals are fired more often, for whatever reason, despite the fact that everyone else is guilty of laziness.

Judging from what my father has told me, is seems that the superintendent gives more leverage to those who are of different ethnicities because he doesn't want to be accused of violating Discrimination laws/policies.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
Uh huh. Economic reprisal in the South for being a Confederate sympathizer?

Economic reprisals like state boycotts for hosting a Confederate flag on top of a Confederate soldier's memorial (which is the most appropriate possible place for one, unlike the top of the capital building itself)?

As for the rest:
The flag (for most white Southerners) is emblematic of the South in its entirety as a distinct culture; as I said, I can understand the basis of alternative interpretations, but you seem to be attributing your own interpretation onto others, assuming most (if not all) people with fondness for the flag like it because of what you think it symbolizes, or what you mentally envisions upon seeing it.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
Economic reprisals like state boycotts for hosting a Confederate flag on top of a Confederate soldier's memorial (which is the most appropriate possible place for one, unlike the top of the capital building itself)?
If a large demographic of tax payers don't like it, then its proper place is in a private museum, if you ask me.

As for the rest:
The flag (for most white Southerners) is emblematic of the South in its entirety as a distinct culture; as I said, I can understand the basis of alternative interpretations, but you seem to be attributing your own interpretation onto others, assuming most (if not all) people with fondness for the flag like it because of what you think it symbolizes, or what you mentally envisions upon seeing it.
And the way many Southern Whites romanticize the South; including the Civil War, is in complete disharmony with the way many--dare I say most-- Southern Blacks have experienced it. The fact that it's almost entirely whites who fly the flag around just makes that point even more evident. The flag has racial connotations, if not in the minds of those flying, at least in the minds of most everyone else(black or white). People who fly it are aware of this fact and persist. Ice tea, not the Confederate Flag, is the symbol of the South(and yes, that's just my opinion. Complete truth).

The Confederate flag wasn't openly displayed in public places, such as on capitol buildings and what not, until nearly 100 years after the Civil War. The flag has only been prominent in very specific times in Southern history, and only used by very specific groups of people until fairly recently, almost always having to do with race in some way.

I assume the vast majority of whites who display the flag to be aware of the polarizing nature of the flag but have found their heritage to be more important than their relationships with people of color. I also assume that whites who display the flag are aware that virtually no Southerner of color identifies with the flag, in any positive way. For that reason, the Confederate Flag is, in practice-imo, an open display of Southern White pride, which is quite accepted and PC in this region.