• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Aren't we all racists?

Aren't we all racists?

• Yes, in a way.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • No way.

Votes: 16 23.5%
  • Prejudiced, but not racist.

Votes: 35 51.5%

• Total voters
R

Riva

Don't you mean prejudice?

The concept of racism is thrown around too much as a reaction to a natural opinion of what others have of people...

So, what you are saying is, unconsciously we are all equally bias, for self-preservation purposes?...

^ yep.
pretty much this.

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
Nope. Racism is taught. If you look at young children they do not discriminate against other. For the most part, they are not even aware of it. But as time goes on... You get the point.

Some people are racist and some are not. Was this thread created to somehow justify your racism against a group of people? ;)

[edit] Anyway, I think the bigger part of the problem is people separating themselves based on ethnicity. I'll admit, I tend to do this myself. My family is from the Caribbean and most of my friends are from the Caribbean: Puerto Rico, Cuba, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Trinidad, etc. But I think most people stick around the familiar because it makes them feel comfortable. Of course we all have nationalistic pride, but our cultures are similar so we are drawn to each other... But when I lived in Europe, I would only talk to Americans and Canadians since I felt more comfortable around them. IDK. Definitely has nothing to do with racism.

R

Riva

Nope. Racism is taught. If you look at young children they do not discriminate against other. For the most part, they are not even aware of it. But as time goes on... You get the point.

yeah makes sense. kids don't go around yelling hate slogans.

Some people are racist and some are not. Was this thread created to somehow justify your racism against a group of people? ;)

ok now you pissed me off.;)

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
We all have prejudices and biases essentially ingrained into us unconsciously, and much of it is simply from the messages we pick up through the media and the rest of our environment. Often people don't consciously recognize it, but it does play out through their thoughts and actions. There are psychological studies/experiments that prove this. I see it everyday.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
Well, if we look at it that way...

My neighborhood is mostly European, that's true. There are a few Asians, a few Blacks, but yes, mostly European descent. White.

I don't get why being 'white' should necessarily be a uniting factor. I mean, Europe has had lots of wars among itself. They don't seem to care whether you're white, they're still going to kill you anyway. They see lots of distinctions between different kinds of white -- western whites, southern whites, eastern whites, northern whites. And then they all tried to kill each other.

Even in the United States, there have been distinctions between whites. Irish, Eastern Europeans, etc -- it's unfair to classify all whites, or all blacks, or all Asians as together. Because historically they never have been. It's always easier to fight with your neighbor than with someone all the way across the ocean.

So no, I can't expand the concept of 'family' to all white people. It just doesn't make any sense.
This all--QFT

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
(To Haphazard, I can't be bothered to actually find your quote):

^ You're only allowed to have racial pride if you're a racial minority anyway, so, good thing you don't.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
(To Haphazard, I can't be bothered to actually find your quote):

^ You're only allowed to have racial pride if you're a racial minority anyway, so, good thing you don't.

I don't know about all that. I come from a place where the Irish and Italian have plenty of pride that they openly display. And neither of them are minorities.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
I don't know about all that. I come from a place where the Irish and Italian have plenty of pride that they openly display. And neither of them are minorities.
I come from a place where many Southern whites display their racial pride all the time. They don't like to call it that though, presumably because then they could no longer claim that only racial minorities do it.

MBTI Type
INxJ
Rather that than 50 years of civil war.

That's one way to look at it. Would it be worth losing their economic place in the world?

Italians and the Irish weren't considered white when they first came to America. Sicilians in particular are considered no better than blacks by northern Italy, and that seems to be the main group that immigrated to America. Technically, they're minorities from way back but most blend into the current dominant white culture.

R

Riva

That's one way to look at it. Would it be worth losing their economic place in the world?

I'll rather come from a country which is the 5the biggest economy or 10th or 15th than the 100th (fked up) country in the world which has a civil war going on.

Oh believe me when i say this.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Italians and the Irish weren't considered white when they first came to America. Sicilians in particular are considered no better than blacks by northern Italy, and that seems to be the main group that immigrated to America. Technically, they're minorities from way back but most blend into the current dominant white culture.

I know all about this. But the point is that they are not racial minorities; no one would be able to tell an Irish person from another person of European descent unless they knew their last name. The Irish are in fact the second largest group in America. The days of discrimination are long gone since we have presidents dating back to the first official president, and countless other authorities, that were of Irish descent. So what simulatedworld wrote was completely off in my experience.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6

Or they notice it and it's just another quality. "She has brown skin, I have light skin." "She has blue eyes, I have brown eyes."

You get my kids a black barbie and they don't care at all. Whatever. Parents make a big deal about something, the kids think it's a big deal.

I'm entranced by people who are "different" from me. Skin tone is a very small part of being different.

MBTI Type
INxJ
I know all about this. But the point is that they are not racial minorities; no one would be able to tell an Irish person from another person of European descent unless they knew their last name. The Irish are in fact the second largest group in America. The days of discrimination are long gone since we have presidents dating back to the first official president, and countless other authorities, that were of Irish descent. So what simulatedworld wrote was completely off in my experience.

Not currently, but they were at one time not that long ago. America is a very young country. Therefore, it seems plausible that they would like to hold onto their ethnic heritage.

xenophobia ≠ racism

Sure, but they often go hand in hand. It's very rare that they aren't intertwined within a culture.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not currently, but they were at one time not that long ago. America is a very young country. Therefore, it seems plausible that they would like to hold onto their ethnic heritage.
And that's fine. I'm just disagreeing with the notion that only racial minorities (and we all know which groups are included in that) are "allowed" to display pride in their heritage.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
:thumbdown:

your genes are still over 99% the same. we're all brothers and sisters.