• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Aren't we all racists?

Aren't we all racists?

• Yes, in a way.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • No way.

Votes: 16 23.5%
  • Prejudiced, but not racist.

Votes: 35 51.5%

• Total voters

phthalocyanine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
Sure, but they often go hand in hand. It's very rare that they aren't intertwined within a culture.

i agree.

though i see a lot of xenophobia in my part of the country that doesn't have racial components. perceived cultural and subcultural differences can make for a strange brand of prejudice within the same racial group.

Not_Me

MBTI Type
INTj
The biggest problem with racism is how it influences the members of a society subconsciously. The dominant race establishes the point of reference and mistakes its subjective preferences for the "objective" way in which people should think and do. When people are ostracized in any way for not behaving within this norm because of racial/cultural differences, it is a form of racism even if it is not consciously perceived as such.

This is so true. The opinions of overt racists barely matter to anyone these days. But subconscious ingrained biases will often inadvertently result in much more negative consequences.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
This is so true. The opinions of overt racists barely matter to anyone these days. But subconscious ingrained biases will often inadvertently result in much more negative consequences.

Precisely. Today's racism is subtle and subconscious.

BTW, I thought it was funny when I was looking at the thread from the main page where it shows who posted last, and it read "Aren't we all racists? Last post by: Not me" :p

MBTI Type
INxJ
i agree.

though i see a lot of xenophobia in my part of the country that doesn't have racial components. perceived cultural and subcultural differences can make for a strange brand of prejudice within the same racial group.

Ah, yes.

This is kind of like a microcosm within a macrocosm. There will definitely be all types of cultural and class prejudices within every ethnic community. In fact, class more than race will often be the biggest prejudice.

Butterfly_Effected

MBTI Type
XXXX
Everyone has biases, however, not all people are racist, or even prejudice.
People have preferences, if they feel they even have a choice.
It really is a shame, that some people think, that differences are bad. It is these differences that make us unique, special, and worthwhile. So we can tell "Bob" from "Tom"
Shouldn't we all just be happy to live on this planet together, realizing we are all part of the "Human Race".

Prototype

THREADKILLER
MBTI Type
Why?
Everyone has biases, however, not all people are racist, or even prejudice.
People have preferences, if they feel they even have a choice.
It really is a shame, that some people think, that differences are bad. It is these differences that make us unique, special, and worthwhile. So we can tell "Bob" from "Tom"
Shouldn't we all just be happy to live on this planet together, realizing we are all part of the "Human Race".

+1

G

Ginkgo

In American culture, many people keep the history of slavery in mind. Because of this, I think some of us are scared of offending African Americans. This produces a "reverse prejudice" affect in which some jerkish African Americans aren't held accountable for their behavior. White people are sometimes deathly afraid of someone pulling "the race card".

On the other hand, there are Caucasian individuals who gratuitously make racist comments and exhibit truly racist behavior.

Racism is the belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.

Are we all racist? No, but we identify each others differences and act accordingly (whether it be good or bad).

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
(To Haphazard, I can't be bothered to actually find your quote):

^ You're only allowed to have racial pride if you're a racial minority anyway, so, good thing you don't.

Well actually I've always been taught to suppress any racial pride I have out of fear. :jew:

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
In American culture, many people keep the history of slavery in mind. Because of this, I think some of us are scared of offending African Americans. This produces a "reverse prejudice" affect in which some jerkish African Americans aren't held accountable for their behavior. White people are sometimes deathly afraid of someone pulling "the race card".
1. I don't know many people who really care, or remotely understand, much about the true history of slavery in America beyond the fact that it existed--white or black.
2. I see no evidence of jerkish African Americans being held "unaccountable" for their behavior as a result of white guilt. And don't tell me about OJ Simpson, one man who got away with murder out of thousands of black men falsely accused and currently incarcerated for crimes that they wouldn't be in jail for if they were white.

Further, it's often the case that when one stupid black person does something asinine, all black people get this::dont::ng_mad::thelook:"Black people" are quite often viewed as a homogeneous group, all liking the same things(like rap music:rolli:), and sharing a common culture; whereas, whites are more often viewed as distinguished individuals with a wide variety of taste and interest, and accountable to only themselves rather than their entire "race". The only time that whites frequently encounter the later is when institutional racism is discussed.

I have a hard time believing that this society is afraid of offending African Americans, although I'm not denying that some individuals are, for their own personal reasons.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I think your 3rd option hit it on the head - "Prejudiced, but not racist."

G

Ginkgo

1. I don't know many people who really care, or remotely understand, much about the true history of slavery in America beyond the fact that it existed--white or black.
2. I see no evidence of jerkish African Americans being held "unaccountable" for their behavior as a result of white guilt. And don't tell me about OJ Simpson, one man who got away with murder out of thousands of black men falsely accused and currently incarcerated for crimes that they wouldn't be in jail for if they were white.

Further, it's often the case that when one stupid black person does something asinine, all black people get this::dont::ng_mad::thelook:"Black people" are quite often viewed as a homogeneous group, all liking the same things(like rap music:rolli:), and sharing a common culture; whereas, whites are more often viewed as distinguished individuals with a wide variety of taste and interest, and accountable to only themselves rather than their entire "race". The only time that whites frequently encounter the later is when institutional racism is discussed.

I have a hard time believing that this society is afraid of offending African Americans, although I'm not denying that some individuals are, for their own personal reasons.

Ok, correction - I am deathly afraid of offending "Black People".

For instance, if a person were to ask me to describe a black dude who had just walked past, I would just say "that dude". I don't even want to racially classify people. :D

But I am sure you are correct when you say that a large portion of Americans are undereducated about the history of slavery. Occasionally, I will find some people who are astonishingly stupefied.

But this is just from my perspective. :ninja:

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I come from a place where many Southern whites display their racial pride all the time. They don't like to call it that though, presumably because then they could no longer claim that only racial minorities do it.

That doesn't make any sense. They don't call it that because they don't want to be called racists for having racial pride.

Personally, I think the whole concept of racial pride is ridiculous, no matter what race you are.

And by the way, I never said only racial minorities have racial pride. I said it's only politically correct for them. That's a big difference.

I don't know about all that. I come from a place where the Irish and Italian have plenty of pride that they openly display. And neither of them are minorities.

I'm sorry; I should have specified that I was referring to the US.

Or maybe you're referring to New York? I don't know. In any event, it's typically much more PC for racial minorities to have "racial pride" than for white people, in the US. That's really my only point.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm sorry; I should have specified that I was referring to the US.

Or maybe you're referring to New York? I don't know. In any event, it's typically much more PC for racial minorities to have "racial pride" than for white people, in the US. That's really my only point.

I know you were referring to the US; no I'm not referring to NY. "White people" consists of a wide variety of people, of multiple and diverse origins. My point was that I see certain groups, that are not racial minorities, openly display their pride and it's A-okay for them to do so. I imagine it would be different if they were to just display "white" pride.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
Rather that than 50 years of civil war.

The Sri Lankan situation and its origins are not exactly analogous to the theoretical liberalization of Japan's immigration policies-things such as comparative numbers, diversity of migrants, and assimilationist policies would all be a factor, all quite different from what the British did with "Ceylon".

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
For instance, if a person were to ask me to describe a black dude who had just walked past, I would just say "that dude". I don't even want to racially classify people. :D

I've had lots of black friends, been in situations with more black than white. It really doesn't matter to me. I would be careful about classifying by race because of the sensitivity of the issue, not because I care either way.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
That doesn't make any sense. They don't call it that because they don't want to be called racists for having racial pride.
I'm from the same part of the world as you are. You think those people with the giant confederate flags on the backs of their trucks are afraid of offending someone?Anyone?:shock:
lkflag-c.jpg

You honestly think those white people who so proudly put those "Heritage" stickers on their bumpers with the Confederate flag plastered right next to it are afraid of offending Southern Blacks whose heritage in the South they are referring to includes the enslavement of their not all too distant relatives? Come. On. South Carolina and Georgia, two states with some of the worst racial histories in this country(and some of the highest percentages of black descendants of slaves), wanted to fight like hell to keep the Confederate flag, which is blatantly offensive to many blacks no matter what you think it really represents, on top of the State House(SC), and as a part of the State flag(Georgia).

I guarantee you that you will never see mass numbers of Southern blacks put stickers on the backs of their cars that could even potentially incite fury in the hearts of their white neighbors.<------ That is real fear. You will never see large numbers of black Southerners put giant flags in their front or back yards, audaciously visible from the main highway, that they know will hurt and incite anger in a large number of whites(even if the origin of the flag had positive connotations).

Further, there are other ways that "whites" in this country are allowed to display racial pride that are far more subtle, but much more far reaching than what is acceptable or even possible for racial minorities. For example, the vast majority of American historical text, especially the ones used prior to 2000, used as required reading for children of all races in this country is a gross display of white pride. And that white pride is expected to be absorbed and accepted by all who are presented it.

Ok, correction - I am deathly afraid of offending "Black People".
For what reason?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I wish in class we read more novels in school by non-whites that are NOT about racism and race struggles.

I think that would be a good start.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm from the same part of the world as you are. You think those people with the giant confederate flags on the backs of their trucks are afraid of offending someone?

Millions more Southerners would put Confederate flags on theirs cars if they were not afraid of being stigmatized as racist, and harassed accordingly. Many Southerners do so anyway in order to express their identity in defiance of possible social ostracism (kind of like gay people displaying "gay pride" bumper-stickers in religiously conservative areas), or because they figure they have nothing to lose from social ostracism.