• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you think you have a soul? If you do, why?

Do you think you have a soul? and why?

• Yes I do belive that people have souls thanks to religious reasons.

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • I feel that I have one, therefore I do.

Votes: 23 38.3%
  • I think a soul is something which is just made up.

Votes: 28 46.7%

• Total voters

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
:D If she doesn't believe in non-matter it's her choice (even though it's very clearly there).

:rofl1:

"Non-matter is very clearly there."

:rofl1:

(If that was a serious statement, I apologize and don't mean to belittle your belief, that is simply one of the funniest arrangements of words I've seen all day)

R

Riva

Ha! My straight flush beats your two pair!

I hardly understand you. But i am pretty sure it must be funny since whenever i do i always end up laughing. but this time i don't get it. :cry:

I bet other types hate arguing with Ni-doms :laugh:

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
especially ones with Fi over grown s.

I believe I have a soul (or to steal Usehername's signature quote of CS Lewis: I am a soul. I have a body.), primarily based on my religious beliefs.

I'm open to the idea that what we think of as a soul is biologically based and I'm willing to incorporate that idea into my actions as a pragmatic measure, but I dislike the idea that that's really all there is to it because I prefer my somewhat mystical outlook on life. It makes me happy.

Good thing you are not a Buddhist. Cus Buddhism is based on the fact that we have no Soul (Anatma). therefore we are not permanent.
we are just bodies which have receptors to sensations and those receptors make us crave.... and

blah blah blah

R

Riva

F&@k did i just start another thread in the wrong place?

what the hell is this doing in Academics section?

could someone move this to Philosophy and Spirituality please?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Do you think you have a soul: Yes

Why: I feel it in me, and that's why I believe I have one.

Zoom

Self sustaining supernova
Enneagram
9w8
In the manner that I believe souls exist, yes, I think I do.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Good thing you are not a Buddhist. Cus Buddhism is based on the fact that we have no Soul (Anatma). therefore we are not permanent.
we are just bodies which have receptors to sensations and those receptors make us crave.... and

blah blah blah
I'm not good Buddhist material. I identify more with Anakin's choice to attempt to save his wife than those of a proper Jedi.

R

Riva

I'm not good Buddhist material. I identify more with Anakin's choice to attempt to save his wife than those of a proper Jedi.

have to been talking to the Seth lord again? i told you he is full of manipulative crap.

but anyway welcome to the dark side sister!

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
i propose the "I don't give a fuck if I do or don't, it's not going to change how I view the world" option

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
have to been talking to the Seth lord again? i told you he is full of manipulative crap.

but anyway welcome to the dark side sister!
But . . . it worked for Neo in the Matrix. :D Blow up the universe - save the girl.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When people use the word "soul," they usually mean self-awareness. Obviously I believe in self-awareness, although I don't necessarily attach the same qualities to it that a Christian does. Where a Christian would say that a soul transcends the physical, I say that a soul is itself physical, since a soul (or self-conception) can and must be taken as an object of awareness before it exists. Prior to this moment, a conscious being is either without a self or has a self only in the loose sense of being conscious (which is to say being distinct from the environment; having subject-object relations, and among these, a primordial one that acts as the precondition to awareness).

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
When people use the word "soul," they usually mean self-awareness. Obviously I believe in self-awareness, although I don't necessarily attach the same qualities to it that a Christian does. Where a Christian would say that a soul transcends the physical, I say that a soul is itself physical, since a soul (or self-conception) can and must be taken as an object of awareness before it exists. Prior to this moment, a conscious being is either without a self or has a self only in the loose sense of being conscious (which is to say being distinct from the environment; having subject-object relations, and among these, a primordial one that acts as the precondition to awareness).

who does this? because I always thought if they meant self awareness they would say self awareness.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
who does this? because I always thought if they meant self awareness they would say self awareness.
I think everyone does. I can't imagine someone referring to their soul without their soul being something they identify with on some level.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't. I just don't believe that's true, honestly.
If you say you have a soul, you're already identifying it with yourself, if only as your possession. Really, though, I can't see someone placing their soul on the same level as a sandwich or something. When I use the word, at least, it's meant to encapsulate something deep down and essential about me. My soul is my self in a nutshell, and this is my impression of what other people mean when they talk about their soul. If that isn't how you use the word, I'd be interested to hear your version.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't believe I have a soul, and I do believe that self is an illusion.