• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you think you have a soul? If you do, why?

Do you think you have a soul? and why?

• Yes I do belive that people have souls thanks to religious reasons.

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • I feel that I have one, therefore I do.

Votes: 23 38.3%
  • I think a soul is something which is just made up.

Votes: 28 46.7%

• Total voters

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
What if I said that I think other people have souls, but that I don't have one?

R

Riva

You are, I believe, assuming that thoughts are not made of matter, no? Thoughts are the result of neurons firing, making associations, and biological responses (such as seeing a huge snake, thinking "Holy Shit!" and feeling your body produce adrenalin). All of the above is done with the chemicals that make up your body, not magic juju.

No?

you heard her Ragingkatsuki.

just listen to me and do a bit of SOUL SEARCHING and you'll realize that i am right.:cheese:

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You are, I believe, assuming that thoughts are not made of matter, no? Thoughts are the result of neurons firing, making associations, and biological responses (such as seeing a huge snake, thinking "Holy Shit!" and feeling your body produce adrenalin). All of the above is done with the chemicals that make up your body, not magic juju.

No?
And what's the relation between the chemicals and the actual feeling? It's impossible to show feelings in a solid form. There must be a bridge between the matter and the non matter.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
then you must be a INTJ :devil:

:rofl1: Okay, that was funny.

But seriously, some INTJs seem to have souls, too. In fact, that's why many of them are so concerned about their personal integrity and truth. I have no soul, so I tell people what they want to hear rather than caring about right, wrong, or accuracy.

Maybe I'm just an evil INFJ, if there is such a thing. Otherwise, if NTs are the only ones that can be evil, I guess I'm an INTJ (or an INTP).

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
And what's the relation between the chemicals and the actual feeling? It's impossible to show feelings in a solid form. There must be a bridge between the matter and the non matter.

We're operating under two different assumptions. I am assuming that there is no non-matter aspect to human consciousness. I think that all functions of the brain can be explained (though perhaps not in this age) by entirely tangible processes.

Your argument for there being a soul, essentially rests on the presence of a soul or some other non-matter facet.

But seriously, some INTJs seem to have souls, too. In fact, that's why many of them are so concerned about their personal integrity and truth. I have no soul, so I tell people what they want to hear rather than caring about right, wrong, or accuracy.

Aw, I'm glad you're coming around to us :D

Oh, and I think it's not that you haven't got a soul, it's more like...You've got Fe ;) though I'd think your Ti would counterbalance that, perhaps it just doesn't work that way for ya.

R

Riva

:rofl1: Okay, that was funny.

Maybe I'm just an evil INFJ, if there is such a thing. Otherwise, if NTs are the only ones that can be evil, I guess I'm an INTJ (or an INTP).

lol,

yeah INTJs have 'Fi'. And Fi is like whats right and whats wrong, integrity etc

you have Fe. well everyone has all the functions in the book but you have more Fe than Fi. therefore you rather listen without pointing at their mistakes-

based on your way of seeing(Fi) things.

redacted

If you define soul as something in the brain, then sure, I have one. If you define soul as a human concept of the one-ness of being, then, sure, I believe in that, at least in the frame of human interaction.

If you believe in the soul as some hand-wavey greater than the physical thing, then I think that's bullshit. Or if you want to believe in it, I'd say it has no causal relationship to the world, therefore it's irrelevant.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
We're operating under two different assumptions. I am assuming that there is no non-matter aspect to human consciousness. I think that all functions of the brain can be explained (though perhaps not in this age) by entirely tangible processes.

Your argument for there being a soul, essentially rests on the presence of a soul or some other non-matter facet.
The argument will reach nowhere then unless of course you want to start arguing why each others assumptions are wrong which I doubt will lead anywhere too. :D

R

Riva

The argument will reach nowhere then unless of course you want to start arguing why each others assumptions are wrong which I doubt will lead anywhere too. :D

:D
but what i think she was trying to prove was that she is right and you are crap but since you substitute the word soul to everything that connects one part or your chemical reactions to another you are right yourself. :yes:

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram

I bet other types hate arguing with Ni-doms :laugh:

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I believe I have a soul (or to steal Usehername's signature quote of CS Lewis: I am a soul. I have a body.), primarily based on my religious beliefs.

I'm open to the idea that what we think of as a soul is biologically based and I'm willing to incorporate that idea into my actions as a pragmatic measure, but I dislike the idea that that's really all there is to it because I prefer my somewhat mystical outlook on life. It makes me happy.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:D
but what i think she was trying to prove was that she is right and you are crap but since you substitute the word soul to everything that connects one part or your chemical reactions to another you are right yourself. :yes:
:D If she doesn't believe in non-matter it's her choice (even though it's very clearly there).
I bet other types hate arguing with Ni-doms :laugh:
Definitely :D