• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity

ygolo

My termites win
The title of this thread is my favorite translation of Occam's Razor.

Things should be as simple as possible but no simpler.
That is a paraphraze of a quote from Einstien.

Please, discuss....

Pretty Please.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The title of this thread ["Entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity"] is my favorite translation of Occam's Razor.

einstein said:
Things should be as simple as possible but no simpler.

That is a paraphraze of a quote from Einstein.

Would that make him a paraparazzi?

What is there to discuss? It seems reasonable enough to me. :)

As a general rule, it is a good guiding principle. I think sometimes though the phrase is thrown out a bit too early in philosophical discussions -- people not really considering the context of the topical discussion, nor the details of the situation being discussed, but just wanting to shut down further discussion by decrying any complication in someone's theory.

Dan Dennett said something about Occam's in one of his recent books that impacted me, but my brain is as fried as an overcooked egg right now and I'll need to go look it up, to jog my memory...

ygolo

My termites win
Would that make him a paraparazzi?

:huh:

What is there to discuss? It seems reasonable enough to me. :)

As a general rule, it is a good guiding principle. I think sometimes though the phrase is thrown out a bit too early in philosophical discussions -- people not really considering the context of the topical discussion, nor the details of the situation being discussed, but just wanting to shut down further discussion by decrying any complication in someone's theory.

I guess what there is to discuss, is how you decide what is "beyond necessity" or if something is as simple as possible or simpler than it should be.

Dan Dennett said something about Occam's in one of his recent books that impacted me, but my brain is as fried as an overcooked egg right now and I'll need to go look it up, to jog my memory...

Was it that Occam's razor is the reason why we believe physical law and natural selection are enough to create the variety of species even thought we don't know all the details?

Varelse

Wait, what?
MBTI Type
INTJ
I need to remind htb of this concept. :devil:

Overall, it's one that seems sensible to me, especially in light of some of the elaborate machinations and conspiracies I've seen some from some people.