• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do animals feel emotions?

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Who's to say they are running because of fear? More than likely in that scenario they would just run because they know what would happen from experience.

Perhaps it's more of an avoidance rather than a fear? Not sure how to explain it.
l
What are the origins of fear?

Biological markers for stress response in animals are easily and objectively measured.
(eg cortisol in saliva, adrenaline etc.)

It can even be measured in the taste of meat, which is why certain slaughter techniques are practiced.
It's really beyond dispute. But if it makes it easier for you to kill them, by all means keep deluding yourself.

Qre:us

First of all, I don't have "anecdotal stories" I'm just telling you from what I have observed first hand, in real life, in the wild. It is your choice to believe what you wish, but do not assume that what I tell you is hearsay.

Thanks for countering the 'anecdotal stories' point by following up with what an anecdote actually means. Way to prove a point. :doh:

Anecdote Definition | Definition of Anecdote at Dictionary.com

The story you posted is irrelevant. I mean, deer don't start "twisting and turning" when they see an attacker. I never said deer weren't curious because they are indeed VERY curious. Even when they know I am there because they heard me, but they can't pinpoint exactly where I am in the woods, they will stay there for hours looking for me trying to sniff me out. Eventually they will run though.

Where is the evidence in that article about any "defense"? All it says is that they came to the call. That's just because they are curious, I assure you. And I'm SURE that both female AND male deer responded to the calls. They just didn't report the males.

First, it's not a story, it's a study done by university researchers. Yours would be story, theirs would be a study.

Secondly, you assure me, you know both the female and male deer responded. Are you the deer whisperer? But, wait, how do you understand what they think/feel if they are completely void of emotions (thus, expressions) in the first place [according to you]?

Also, like blue pointed out, fear is an emotion. So is curiosity. You might wanna figure out what emotions are before you try to defend your position. I have a feeling that in your case, it's less about animals having/not having emotions, and more about you not understanding what emotions are in the first place.

As far as them crying "don't shoot!", well, maybe there's a reason animals can't talk. :laugh: [Yeah I know, that was pretty evil, sorry. :doh:]But really, animals don't know what "shoot" means. They are born with an innate sense: automatically avoid man. Unless of course, you F with their offspring, then you will probably get a mixture of flight AND fight.

But like I said, believe what you wish. If it makes you comfortable to believe that momma deer went to "save" other fawns, by all means, believe it.

Actually, I have a great deal of respect for the Native American tradition of how they view their relationship to nature and animals. And, thus, how they hunt.

But, you are the first with an opposing view, so to be conductive to the debate, I wish you'd stay and flesh out the way you understand emotions and why animals don't have them, according to you.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Animals have emotions. Scientists actually studied about human depression using lab rats. What they did is put the rat in a cage and electrify the floor so the rat tries to escape. After many attempts to escape the rat gives up and just sits there standing the pain (depression). When the researchers opened the cage the rat didn't go out. (it becomes a depressed 'emo' rat)
They say rats have very similar mind structure to humans. (or brain)

Depression isn't an emotion. It's a mood disorder which includes a 'numbing' of normal affect (emotion).

Also, scientists are stupid.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Animals have emotions. Scientists actually studied about human depression using lab rats. What they did is put the rat in a cage and electrify the floor so the rat tries to escape. After many attempts to escape the rat gives up and just sits there standing the pain (depression). When the researchers opened the cage the rat didn't go out. (it becomes a depressed 'emo' rat)
They say rats have very similar mind structure to humans. (or brain)

This is known as 'learned helplessness', and it tends to show many similarities to clinical depression in people.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Depression isn't an emotion. It's a mood disorder which includes a 'numbing' of normal affect (emotion).

Also, scientists are stupid.
Well as long as they are depressed they are feeling feelings.
And why must you show hate to scientists. If it weren't for them, you wouldn't even have a computer to type on.

This is known as 'learned helplessness', and it tends to show many similarities to clinical depression in people.
Well if they learnt helplessness they could only have learnt it through their feelings. Right? I mean they had the choice to go back out and they didn't, even when they knew they could.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well as long as they are depressed they are feeling feelings.
Not necessarily. How does one diagnose depression in a rat?
Depressed appetite? Clinically depressed per DSM IV? Decreased serotonin levels? Did he start reading Camus? The very idea of studying "human depression using lab rats" is patently absurd, as are most clinical trials, IMO.

The argument is not that animals do not have emotions, rather that the study you chose to demonstrate it was not the best one.

Although it does raise the question: Do scientists have emotions ?

;)

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well if they learnt helplessness they could only have learnt it through their feelings. Right? I mean they had the choice to go back out and they didn't, even when they knew they could.

As stated before, I'll refrain from answering this question for now, as there is no way to show that animals do have feelings, and if they do, whether they experience them the same way we do. It's not like we can ask em. The scientific community is still working on how to tackle this problem.

Now, personally, I very much believe that animals have emotions, and that it tends to be fairly obvious that they do. I am however very much aware of the fact that we do tend to project all kinds of crazy emotions on animals as well. The sheer number of owners that have told me that their cat is 'getting back at them for leaving him alone' 2 hours ago, or is doing something just to 'spite them' for telling them off 5 hours ago, is mindboggling and blatant projection.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Dude, after our Vent convo, it's been bugging me how to try and translate to you, how 'ethics' can be more palatable to you in this regard.

And, I thought of one way (dunno if it will work), but from an NT you admire, and one I admire, to you, buddy:

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p86BPM1GV8M]Pale Blue Dot[/youtube]

Animals, trees, humans, we're a finely balanced ecosystem called earth. We need each other, directly or indirectly, to preserve this balance, hence, each other. Understand, not destroy one another. Top of the food chain becomes obsolete when the links get broken, one by one from the base up. We won't have anything left to stand on. The power of the human mind (hence, our abilities) is our greatest gift, and thus, our greatest responsibility as well as our greatest burden. /spider-sagan

I love that video. Love his book and subsequent film based off of it too, Contact.

However, I think you're overstating and overexaggerating our interdependencies here in an attempt to get me to admit something. I do admit that it is necessary and should be encouraged that we conduct ourselves as responsibly as possible simply because it is in our best interest to do so. You don't trash your house to the point of unsustainability, and we shouldn't do that to earth either. You don't mistreat mice in a lab or monkeys in cognitive experiments and expect good results [unless you're testing the effect of poor treatment on performance].

Yet I still do not see how an animal having emotions should change how we deal with them, ethically. As I said yesterday, I don't think those that justified their practices by saying "animals don't have emotions" really ever cared if they had emotions or not, they were just trying to say "they're not humans" in order to not piss PETA off. To be honest, we don't base our ethical treatment of each other based on us having emotions either, human rights are usually argued against biological reasons and classifications like the fact that we are indeed all humans and thus should be treated equally.

I try to respect life, because it seems like the right thing to do. I guess that's a personal ethic of mine, although I'd consider it more of a general principle. I'm aware of how interconnected everything is, but I don't seem to see it as extreme as you do in that it is in constant danger of crashing down. However, I don't see how animal consumption, animal testing, etc is an inherent disrespect to them, and I don't see how animals having emotions is allowed to confer special respect, moreso than a plant or an insect.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yet I still do not see how an animal having emotions should change how we deal with them, ethically. As I said yesterday, I don't think those that justified their practices by saying "animals don't have emotions" really ever cared if they had emotions or not, they were just trying to say "they're not humans" in order to not piss PETA off. To be honest, we don't base our ethical treatment of each other based on us having emotions either, human rights are usually argued against biological reasons and classifications like the fact that we are indeed all humans and thus should be treated equally.

I try to respect life, because it seems like the right thing to do. I guess that's a personal ethic of mine, although I'd consider it more of a general principle. I'm aware of how interconnected everything is, but I don't seem to see it as extreme as you do in that it is in constant danger of crashing down. However, I don't see how animal consumption, animal testing, etc is an inherent disrespect to them, and I don't see how animals having emotions is allowed to confer special respect, moreso than a plant or an insect.
Of course it's disrespectful, but that's not your argument. Your argument is that the having of emotions or a capacity for suffering is not a legitimate basis for respect.
I would have to concur. After all, an animal won't think twice about exploiting another species as a resource, why should we?

I agree with the reasoning, but not with the consequences.

Compassion doesn't have to be rational.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Of course it's disrespectful, but that's not your argument. Your argument is that the having of emotions or a capacity for suffering is not a legitimate basis for respect.
I would have to concur. After all, an animal won't think twice about exploiting another species as a resource, why should we?

I suppose so. I think you can respect an animal's place in terms of humanity's use for them, and still actually use them responsibly, but if someone calls that disrespectful I certainly can understand why.

I avoid using the "natural" argument because she considers it a fallacy, and a bad reason, which I don't really understand but I can see that I won't really get to any further understanding using those arguments, so I've tried to work my way around it.

Qre:us

However, I think you're overstating and overexaggerating our interdependencies here in an attempt to get me to admit something. I do admit that it is necessary and should be encouraged that we conduct ourselves as responsibly as possible simply because it is in our best interest to do so. You don't trash your house to the point of unsustainability, and we shouldn't do that to earth either. You don't mistreat mice in a lab or monkeys in cognitive experiments and expect good results [unless you're testing the effect of poor treatment on performance].

Why is there ethical guidelines for the scientifically intended poor treatment of animals? And, why is it much harder to get Ethics approval the 'worse' the treatment manipulation, the researcher aims to conduct?

If it was merely because of expecting good results, the above two questions would be moot, but they're not. Can you explain why?

Yet I still do not see how an animal having emotions should change how we deal with them, ethically. As I said yesterday, I don't think those that justified their practices by saying "animals don't have emotions" really ever cared if they had emotions or not, they were just trying to say "they're not humans" in order to not piss PETA off.
So, for example, scientific research, and the spending of millions of dollars into these research and practices of ethical treatment for animal subjects was just to not piss of PETA? Really? Can you give evidence of this extraordinary claim?

To be honest, we don't base our ethical treatment of each other based on us having emotions either, human rights are usually argued against biological reasons and classifications like the fact that we are indeed all humans and thus should be treated equally.

Interesting view you have there, do you know what the main arguments for the justification for slavery was? For the justification of the suppression of women? They're like cattles, they don't have emotions, they can't reason (slaves), and they don't know how to reason as well as men (women's subjugation).

Claiming oneself to be human didn't matter, claiming the RIGHT to get equal treatment as humans hinged on justifications of emotional capability (slaves) and reason (slaves and women). These 'proofs' were the snowball to recognition of rights.

Do animal have rights? In the legal sense, no, although there are certain rights of protected species and causing torture, etc...but, as an intrinsic right as humans do? No.

Can we see how it can be relevant if we start answering questions such as, "Do animals have emotion? Can animals have the capacity to reason?"** to the relevancy of possible changes to ethical treatments of animals? Yes.

We don't have to be either/or...the moving towards progress (in knowledge) is a worthy goal as well.

** Science has shown that on the evolutionary scale, emotion is older than reason and that reason hinges on emotional capacity, so if we answer the emotion q, we are closer to answering the reason q.

I try to respect life, because it seems like the right thing to do. I guess that's a personal ethic of mine, although I'd consider it more of a general principle. I'm aware of how interconnected everything is, but I don't seem to see it as extreme as you do in that it is in constant danger of crashing down.

I don't see it as a constant danger of crashing, I was giving a justification of why we may want to care, that of upsetting the balance.

However, I don't see how animal consumption, animal testing, etc is an inherent disrespect to them, and I don't see how animals having emotions is allowed to confer special respect, moreso than a plant or an insect.

It is disrespectful to them, but if you are asking why having emotions should be a special priviledge in more consideration of respect? It's not because emotion = automatic respect. That's illogical. However, as I answered to you the first time you asked, it's a question of the philosophy of ethics.

If we, as humans, are capable of abstract thinking like morality and ethics, can I ask you, why then it shouldn't be a consideration if in the past morality and ethics have repeatedly shown to be hinged on values subscribed through two main characteristics (emotion and reason***)? What makes this question of ethics moot for animals then?

*** to be able to reason, to not be able to reason - e.g., treatment in history of those with mental illness and/or intellectual disability, points to this, as well. And, ethics answers questions surrounding protection of vulnerability if 'cannot reason as well', etc.

ETA:
Blue summed it up way better and much more concisely than I did:

And yet, we understand the value of compassion.

Edasich

Enneagram
4w5
I know, that's totally what I meant when I said that. Thanks for catching my mistake! :rolli:

I'm sorry, I wasn't meaning it as in you meant that. I wasn't trying to offend. I just thought that line of yours would be good to show the connection between animals and humans/ aryans and jews. It is just an extension of that.

"The concentration camps very much resemble the common slaughterhouses of today."