• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Passage Through Time and Space

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I just started reading How to Lose Your Mind in Under and Hour (downloaded the .pdf from this thread after I saw the title and went "...huh, that sounds interesting; wonder what that's all about.") and it's very intriguing to say the least.

I like the idea of how life, as we know it, is only true depending on how you perceive it. Most of us view the passage of time as us, a person, moving through time and space, coasting from the past to the future, right? Well, in this book, the author discusses how this is just one way - one perspective - of how we can view the passage of time. Maybe we do not "coast" through time at all, but instead we are always here and it is always now.

The author uses an excellent example to explain this idea. He says if you were to place your finger on a detailed timeline of your life, you would move your finger from one end (the day of your birth) to the other (the day you die). "This idea is completely true if this is the way you choose to perceive it," the author states.

However, if you were to place your finger on one end and instead of moving your finger across the timeline, you use your other hand to move the timeline from right to left. Your finger still moves in the same direction, yes, but you (the finger) are still, and it is instead the timeline (all the events and places in your life) that changes and moves.

The author states,
"Be still. Imagine all of the time in your life as a Big Book being pulled under you from right to left. You aren’t moving through time…the experiences of life are passing through you while you remain still."

Any thoughts? Opinions? I'd love to hear how other people interpret this idea that I've recently applied to my life.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ :D someone beat you to it.