• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The dark side of modesty/tact.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Now, as to the example of the fat wife. I have been married. If I ask my husband if I look fat and he says yes, he has accomplished nothing except my cold shoulder for a few days, until I convince myself that I am desirable again. Weigh this carefully, so to speak. How much do you like sex? You see what I'm saying?

But why even ask the question then? If you want your husband to tell you that you are beautiful, you should just tell him to say that. I'm seriously not getting this... Wouldn't you want your husband to save you from potential embarrassment?

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Because "Fat" in that context doesn't always mean adipose tissue, it's often a metaphor for undesirable, unworthy, unattractive, lazy, greedy, stupid, out of control, weak.

I assume the woman wants reassurance that she is none of those things.

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
[This post is via my PSP - so please excuse mistypos if any.]

The issue of modesty? Well, put it this way - normally every person have an awareness (mutually) to what the Truth really is, which as we know it for this world is not one to face with real confidence. You can do so much but the world never really makes one any more satisfied with that Truth - so to speak of modesty, it really is one of the most appropriate ways of dealing around that Truth.

... So, I would think that the attitude to modesty varies across person to person.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
well it's because the truth can hurt, so if I go around telling everyone I know more about something than them then it's only going to make them hate me.

So it all depends on the person, if they can handle the truth without hating the hurt.

I agree the truth can hurt. But I feel very strongly that these kinds of pain are important. And sheltering people from it is, to me, the same as disrespecting their 'entire being'.

"Modesty is a flower that does not grow in every garden."

-Ralph Quinn (my brilliant friend and comrade)

***NOTE: As per Ralph, you can substitute any "Virtue" for "Modesty" above and nullify its existence with a puzzling amount of tact. :newwink:

That is all.

:D

-Halla

Hah yes, but that would basicly mean you are manipulative. That wouldn't work very well with my conscience. :smile:

But why even ask the question then? If you want your husband to tell you that you are beautiful, you should just tell him to say that. I'm seriously not getting this... Wouldn't you want your husband to save you from potential embarrassment?

That's just it, I can't find any reason that justifies dishonesty. Dishonesty in order to gain affection even feels like a form of (mild) rape to me. I just can't accept it, not in a relationship.

Because "Fat" in that context doesn't always mean adipose tissue, it's often a metaphor for undesirable, unworthy, unattractive, lazy, greedy, stupid, out of control, weak.

I don't have ulterior motives in a relationship. Being honest does not mean saying one thing while it may mean something else. My partner should never assume I have ulterior motives and if she finds my reasoning questionable she should just ask me about it. However, the fact that "Fat" may mean other things is not a reason for me not to be honest.

The issue of modesty? Well, put it this way - normally every person have an awareness (mutually) to what the Truth really is, which as we know it for this world is not one to face with real confidence. You can do so much but the world never really makes one any more satisfied with that Truth - so to speak of modesty, it really is one of the most appropriate ways of dealing around that Truth.

... So, I would think that the attitude to modesty varies across person to person.

I agree that truth, being subjective, is not something to go lightly about. But ultimatly it is important to me to be as close to the truth as I am capable of. But it is also important not to get stuck up on truth without seeing all sides to it. Because you may inadvertedly burn yourself badly with it. That is to say, always try to look at it from all perspectives. But entirely ignoring it is no option. If the truth is just shrouded in mystery. A middleground may still be found. But if you are to question truth always, you might as well say nothing at all. And that wouldn't be very productive either. You have an identity, you have a sense of truth. You base it on your life's experiences and thoughts and you should be able to trust that truth.

That said, I don't claim to always be right. And that honesty is infallable. Because I am not, and it isn't. But I am as right as possible to my abilties. And if I am proven to be wrong, I aim to rectify it and learn from it.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Interesting topic and an issue I often have myself, with relationships in general.

It's about being impartial as much as I can, and being coherent with everything I say. If I'm honest with someone I'm not close to, why be dishonest with someone I'm sharing a supposedly deeper, special bond with? To keep that person? Just feels like another form of lying to me.

Sure. Being tactful. I try to be, depending on the case. But when asked a direct question people can smell lying or doubt a mile away ya know?

Besides, no matter how tactful you are, like INTJ123 said, the truth often hurts.

I've learned long ago, no one appreciates 100% honesty. So I ignore and aim at the crux of the problem. Which is often self-confidence or lack thereof.

I often feel this is one of those Fe vs Fi battles. Fe would have me put the importance of being honest "in prespective" so as to keep harmony. Fi would aim for coherence and truth. I just happen to like my Fi a lot.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, I think I killed off my Fe.

I only use a chameleon form of Fe in business and such places. But I would not dare to chameleon it in a personal relationships. For starters, I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I was doing that. And even for business I go about faking Fe very carefully.

And I think my real Fe died 8 years ago. :p

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8

However, the fact that "Fat" may mean other things is not a reason for me not to be honest.

I guess my point is that "fat" shouldn't mean other things. In fact, I would be so resentful that *I* was being lied to and baited with such an inane question that I would purposely tell a harder version of the truth out of pure contempt. Basically, I would repay dishonesty with dishonesty to prove a point in a situation like that.

In a situation where the person is just honestly curious, they shouldn't ask unless they want to know. Or at least ask the question framed positively, rather than negatively... instead of "Do I look fat in this?" you could easily say "Is this outfit ok on me?", in which case an honest response could be "meh, you look better naked".

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
But I would not dare to chameleon it in a personal relationships. For starters, I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I was doing that.

I feel you. Find yourself an NT partner.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I guess my point is that "fat" shouldn't mean other things. In fact, I would be so resentful that *I* was being lied to and baited with such an inane question that I would purposely tell a harder version of the truth out of pure contempt. Basically, I would repay dishonesty with dishonesty to prove a point in a situation like that.

In a situation where the person is just honestly curious, they shouldn't ask unless they want to know. Or at least ask the question framed positively, rather than negatively... instead of "Do I look fat in this?" you could easily say "Is this outfit ok on me?", in which case an honest response could be "meh, you look better naked".

:D

That would probably result in:

"Sigh men / figures / typical ."
"Why don't you care. You didn't even look. LOOK!"

Truth is, if it looks fine, it's fine. But beyond that, I wouldn't care. If it doesn't look fine, it doesn't look fine. Meh, you look better naked. Would indeed be a good way to deal with that honestly. But again the ulterior motive assumptions seem to come into play. When responded to seriously.

Even though the intention would be to keep it playful. Since it really isn't a 'relationship-breaking' or 'love-numbing' issue.

Either way, I didn't make this topic to get people to give examples what I should say. I made this topic as to why it is such an issue, where it really shouldn't be. And on the contrary in fact, the other way around seems like an issue to me. I know what I will say in every situation. But it would be nice to also be understood for a change. :smile:

A pew pew. NT still seems like the type that could deal with it best. And I will attempt to sharpen myself into their direction. But heh, I don't really control who I am interested in and who I am not interested in. :)

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Hmm, this topic makes me think of Israelis.

Most people find them (initially) rude, blunt, abrasive and abupt. But if you spend time around them (I was there for 6 months) you realize they believe in honesty, in being up front and matter of fact. If they like you they will tell you and spend time with you, if they don't they won't put on a pretence. And people never sugar coat the truth or make promises they don't intend to keep. Its quite liberating to live in a culture because you don't have to pretend and fake nice all the time. Israelis find most other cultures to be false and game-like, where you have to try to play along and work out what people really mean. And don't get me wrong they have big hearts, always helping you out where they can. And they will treat perfect strangers like family - they will come up to you and talk as if they know you. I'm a shy person but I found myself being bolder and more up front, just walking up to strangers and asking for help.

I liked that culture because you always knew where you stood. You don't wonder what people think of you because they tell you. You learn to toughen up a bit to criticism and to not take it personally (and I'm a sensitive person who normally finds that hard to take) because its genuinely not meant to be a personal attack.

However, I'm sure even Israeli men don't tell their wives/girlfriends that their ass looks fat. There's honesty and then there's honesty. :jew:

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What I'm getting at is this: how do you define manipulation such that it's even possible not to do?

Deliberate manipulation then. Influencing is not always manipulation. Manipulation requires a dishonest mindset.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Being true to yourself, without the need to explain every little detail. I mean, we're capable of trust for a reason. This is not manipulation but influencing to me. It's a positive side of it.

Manipulation is presenting yourself in the most effective manner to aquire your goals. Instead of (per se) presenting your honest self.

At least that is how I see it. Influencing is positive. Manipulation is negative. The line inbetween is subjective and can be debated about for several hundred years. For me the line is my view on what is honest and dishonest.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Maliciously hiding something or pointing someone in a direction to avoid a certain topic or subject is manipulation. Being vague is not manipulation. If someone knowingly allows it then its not manipulation.

Not_Me

MBTI Type
INTj

Wouldn't it be awkward and sterile for partners to have to explicitly request compliments from each other?

"Please tell me how smart and powerful I am. In return, I'll compliment you on your beauty and anything else you might need affirmation about. Make a list so I don't miss anything." :)

Not_Me

MBTI Type
INTj
NT still seems like the type that could deal with it best. And I will attempt to sharpen myself into their direction.

What you appear to be saying is that you have trouble controlling your own emotional outbursts which manifests as bluntness and a disregard for the partner's feelings.

A relationship is mostly about mutual emotional satisfaction. I don't know if a typical NT would find this sort of behavior endearing.