• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI type and belief in god

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, in antiquity, they didn't care what gods you worshipped. They adopted gods freely, it seems. You can see this in how the Romans borrowed stories from the Greeks for their gods, as one example. It was certainly not an either-or thing, to be sure.
I think this is true. It is true in Hinduism, which is the oldest religion in the world.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Good heavens, this is tantamount to lese majeste. And just as you, a mere mortal, claim friendship with a God, a supernatual Being, you would refuse to bow or curtsy to our Queen.

I am descended from these people...

Mole

Permabanned
Well, in antiquity, they didn't care what gods you worshipped. They adopted gods freely, it seems. You can see this in how the Romans borrowed stories from the Greeks for their gods, as one example. It was certainly not an either-or thing, to be sure.

C'mon, the Ancient Romans killed the Christians in the most horrible ways for refusing to worship the Ancient Roman Gods.

So it was either you worship our Gods or we will feed you to wild animals for the entertainment of the citizens of Rome.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
C'mon, the oldest religion in the world is astrology.

Are you sure it's older than Hinduism?

Edit: Kinda depends on how you define "astrology," "religion," and "Hinduism."

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
C'mon, the Ancient Romans killed the Christians in the most horrible ways for refusing to worship the Ancient Roman Gods.

So it was either you worship our Gods or we will feed you to wild animals for the entertainment of the citizens of Rome.

That was because they were seen as traitorous and disloyal for not worshiping the Emperor. Which, admittedly, was dumb. As far as the Romans are concerned, though, if they'd done that, they wouldn't have cared about the Jesus thing.

Mole

Permabanned
Are you sure it's older than Hinduism?

Edit: Kinda depends on how you define "astrology," "religion," and "Hinduism."

Astrology is the ur-religion on which all the other religions are based.

Go to youtube and type in astrology and religion.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Astrology is the ur-religion on which all the other religions are based.

Go to youtube and type in astrology and religion.

I actually think fertility cults of the Mother Goddess predate astrology in the ancient sense, but I suppose no one will know since they didn't make cave paintings of the stars as far as I know. Maybe they did.

Mole

Permabanned
I actually think fertility cults of the Mother Goddess predate astrology in the ancient sense, but I suppose no one will know since they didn't make cave paintings of the stars as far as I know. Maybe they did.

Today the religion of astrology can be found at the back of women's magazines and many newspapers, on the radio, television, and the internet, and even on typology central, whereas fertility cults of the Mother Goddess are absent.

But just go to youtube and type in astrology and religion.

I

Infinite Bubble

In my opinion extroverted feelers, and extroverts in general will be more likely to believe in a religious god.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ENFP and agnostic atheist. I think god might and might not exist and might or might not exist in one or other form... I am against religions mostly and I used to be strongly atheistic, but I try to be more open now, though it's still hard for me to get along with religious people... I think NFs are not religious in traditional sense of this world. I think most of us are spiritual, but religious in traditional sense of the world I think are mostly SJs and then probably also SPs.

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
funny, my most devout acquaintance is an NT...i think he's ENTP.

G

Ginkgo

It could reasonably be said that a large chunk of Jung's typological foundation is based on the study of "religious experiences". The studies of psychology and spirituality are syncretic and not necessarily mutually exclusive. Once one acknowledges this, it's far easier to recognize that different temperaments practice the same religions/lack thereof, but for different reasons.

SensEye

MBTI Type
INTp
I'd say there is a fair number of NT's in the pagan community, probably more INTJ's than INTP's.
I can tell you there have been multiple polls taken at INTPC over the years. The results are a pretty consistent 70%+ non believers. I can't speak to INTJ trends in this regard. I would think they would be similar, but who knows. Their J-ness might make them more impressionable as youths and less prone to shucking off the standard religious indoctrination that N.A. children typically experience.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can tell you there have been multiple polls taken at INTPC over the years. The results are a pretty consistent 70%+ non believers. I can't speak to INTJ trends in this regard. I would think they would be similar, but who knows. Their J-ness might make them more impressionable as youths and less prone to shucking off the standard religious indoctrination that N.A. children typically experience.
I do think on the whole that NT's tend to be rationalists, and you have to remember most people aren't pagans period. But among pagans, I think NT's are at least as well represented as in the general population if not more; I would say more because most pagans go through a period of questioning the faith they were raised with (if they were at all), and so become agnostics and atheists before finding a spiritual path which is consistent with their rational beliefs and progressive values. There is a prominent coven in the community here which contains a lot of NT's. I can tell you they are not likely mistyped either, as they use typology in the group. One almost had a PhD in philosophy, and another is the dean of science at a local college.

Ni is more suited to mystic spirituality and holistic thinking on a spiritual level, so that's why I think there are more INTJ's than INTP's.

INFJ's just tend to be mystics, which covers a large number of categories. I personally draw from most of these, as probably most INFJ's do. I'm certain they are overrepresented in Western exploration of Hindu spirituality.