• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Becoming more self aware, losing my mind..

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
I read this and became aware of my awareness, I saw my thoughts from my awareness, and tried to "be in the moment". It was completely trippy and profound. I temporarily saw myself, my "other self" and I'm scared to say it but it was what looked like me in a curled up position all alone in an unknown space or time, I don't know why but that is what I had a glimpse of. I am losing my mind.

http://selfobserve.com/How_to_Lose_Your_Mind_in_Under_an_Hour.pdf

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
You are not going crazy. Your mind is trying to tell you something and you should listen ... go easy on the lsd.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
You are not going crazy. Your mind is trying to tell you something and you should listen ... go easy on the lsd.

I don't mean that I'm going crazy, I just separated from my "ego mind" and viewed the thoughts of my ego from an outer perspective, then I temporarily saw(didn't really "see" hard to explain) the other me that was watching my ego thoughts and that's what I mean by the me in an unknown space and time, all alone... I didn't expect it to be that way but it just did. Just read it and try the experiment, you'll maybe see your "ego thoughts" too, and be aware of the awareness that watches the thoughts, that is not the "ego me" but the "other me".

Not on LSD btw...that's actually a typical ego mind remark..

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I read it...
I saw myself through my outer perspective too...
Just.. wow

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've apparently had all the tools to get officially enlightened for about two years . . . but I never saw any point, since I value my ego and the suffering it brings. On the other hand, after reading that book, I see some ways that enlightenment can be used for something more than escapism. I'm thinking of productivity, which is just about the most important thing to my dear ego.

Also, I like to think of the relationship between the present (the "other self") and the ego as something like the one between a pen and the text it writes. You can't see the tip of a pen as it moves across the paper; you can only carry the pen along, blind and yet able to experience the motion. What you can see, if you remove your attention from the act of writing, is the text that the pen leaves in its wake. The text is the past, wherein the ego lies, the act of writing is the "other self" that logically (not chronologically) precedes it, and the inability to see the pen tip refers to the absence of self-consciousness, of which the present consists.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
It's like a meat and potatoes version of Buddhist philosophy.

I like.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I read this and became aware of my awareness, I saw my thoughts from my awareness, and tried to "be in the moment". It was completely trippy and profound. I temporarily saw myself, my "other self" and I'm scared to say it but it was what looked like me in a curled up position all alone in an unknown space or time, I don't know why but that is what I had a glimpse of. I am losing my mind.

I think I know this state... it's what happens when I'm not focused.

I saw an image of myself trapped in a phone booth, beating on the glass unable to break it, and jerking/pushing on the door. Then suddenly, deciding to pick up the phone and dial a number to get someone to open it from the outside.

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3

I didn't read it all but in the first few pages the author gets you to identify yourself as being his imaginary friend and a loser,if that continues throughout it will make you dissasociate from yourself. And explain the above posters negative veiw feelings.

Sacrator

MBTI Type
ENFP
Read it all but didn't get the visualization your talking about. He doesn't even go through a visualization process. But when i try to observe my thoughtless awareness usually its a constant peaceful feeling that makes me feel happy.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
A good read. The author is very skilled in predicting when my ego starts questioning his ideas throughout the book. Also while I felt this awareness state plenty of times before it was usually outward focused. I liked that the author turned it more introspective.

Liminality

MBTI Type
ISFx
Enneagram
6w7
I got to that kind of a state a few years ago, it's kind of like like accepting there is no 'good' or 'bad' (Not exclusively in the moral sense,), as those things are things I create to escape from pain (and your ego ceates an ientity of all th 'good' things) - necessary, yet something that can go too far, and if you 'don't worry' and just 'relax' then living can become a whole lot more bareable.

I'd think to myself 'what's wrong? It's okay, you're not being stabbed in the face by acrazy axe murderer. What is 'wrong' anyway? And what's bad about this 'wrong', or being so? Your 'self' is in no way static; it's an ever changing fluid thing, there's no 'good' or 'bad' in here, just 'you'; and a true unrefined self is everything and nothing it is neither 'good' nor 'bad' (as there is no good or bad when it comes to a self) it just 'is'. Shadow selves come from the restriction and categorizing that comes with thought; from not acepting there is no true 'good' or 'bad''

This is why the things we're unable to put into words are normally the most powerful, real things to us; we can't seperate the bad parts from the good parts; can't define it - each thing a concept is made up from has associations for us, one's mind cannot help but think, and associate. If we can't define it, we can't take it apart, we just accept that 'it' 'is'.

If you stop thinking of yourself as a thing that's temporal it also helps. You are this constantly morphing set of reactions to your perceptions of your reality - in the 'right now that is forever' the author was talking about.
We distinguish good and bad for self preservation - socially - a 'good' person will fit in with the 'group', presently - my immediate circumstances, physical discofort, needs and so on.

When the author talks about the mind, I think of it as the thing that categorizes things, on one hand to help you comprehend in a way that makes sense to you - in this respect thinking is limiting; as, as the author says, we all have our own way of thinking, of percieving.
On the other we categorize according to our own sense of 'good' and 'bad', and so on.

The ego needs to exist in order for us to function, and for it and us to function we need a solid identity; a solid 'good' we continually define and attempt to move towards. The more solid an identity we have, the stronger our ego becomes - and the stronger our shadow becomes.

It's good to have an identity, but it's okay to 'relax' :).

Sorry for the waffle, I get carried away with that...just my 2 cents...

Fuulie

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram

I do this a lot, actually. It's weird, but sometimes helpful, because you can see yourself more objectively.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
Read it all but didn't get the visualization your talking about. He doesn't even go through a visualization process. But when i try to observe my thoughtless awareness usually its a constant peaceful feeling that makes me feel happy.

I didn't really "see" my awareness, I was just aware of it and it left an impression. The part where he asks you, Who are you without your pants? is where you identify your other self, of course not everyone is going to able to do it though.

It's hard to really disconnect from your ego thoughts considering the average thought takes 1/30 of a second to create. which is about 2.6 million thoughts a day.

phoenity

Our mind can't perceive the present moment.

But conscious awareness can.

Thus, we must be more than our minds.

This is my natural state of awareness. It's scary sometimes because the present moment is infinite, but then I realize there's nothing to be afraid of.

Argus

MBTI Type
ENTP
This book has made me discover that I am really a dolphin.

If you don't believe me, you're closed minded.

Last edited:

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Closed minded*

So long, and thanks for all the fish?