• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Philosopher: We maybe living in 'the Matrix'

S

Sniffles

Wonderful job this must be to get paid by an academic institution to make random shit up!

Until I talked to Nick Bostrom, a philosopher at Oxford University, it never occurred to me that our universe might be somebody else’s hobby. I hadn’t imagined that the omniscient, omnipotent creator of the heavens and earth could be an advanced version of a guy who spends his weekends building model railroads or overseeing video-game worlds like the Sims.

But now it seems quite possible. In fact, if you accept a pretty reasonable assumption of Dr. Bostrom’s, it is almost a mathematical certainty that we are living in someone else’s computer simulation.

This simulation would be similar to the one in “The Matrix,” in which most humans don’t realize that their lives and their world are just illusions created in their brains while their bodies are suspended in vats of liquid. But in Dr. Bostrom’s notion of reality, you wouldn’t even have a body made of flesh. Your brain would exist only as a network of computer circuits.

You couldn’t, as in “The Matrix,” unplug your brain and escape from your vat to see the physical world. You couldn’t see through the illusion except by using the sort of logic employed by Dr. Bostrom, the director of the Future of Humanity Institute at Oxford.

Dr. Bostrom assumes that technological advances could produce a computer with more processing power than all the brains in the world, and that advanced humans, or “posthumans,” could run “ancestor simulations” of their evolutionary history by creating virtual worlds inhabited by virtual people with fully developed virtual nervous systems.

Some computer experts have projected, based on trends in processing power, that we will have such a computer by the middle of this century, but it doesn’t matter for Dr. Bostrom’s argument whether it takes 50 years or 5 million years. If civilization survived long enough to reach that stage, and if the posthumans were to run lots of simulations for research purposes or entertainment, then the number of virtual ancestors they created would be vastly greater than the number of real ancestors.

Our Lives, Controlled From Some Guy’s Couch - New York Times

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
He stole my idea!

I had a theory like this a long time ago. In fact, I think I wrote it here somewhere. I still think it might be the case.

Does this mean I'm almost as smart as a person who works in an academic institution? That would be interesting.

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
Dang... I wonder if there is a video of his lectures, and the reaction of the students. lolz

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well, that's a thought.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
Maybe the name of the "Future of Humanity Institute" should be changed, for consistency's sake.

lowtech redneck, living down to the INTP stereotype. :D

Aerithria

Senior Thread Terminator
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Heh, I used to think about this sort of thing all the time when I was younger. I actually spent two weeks questioning every decision I made to see if it made sense, until I realized that if this sort of thing was true, it wouldn't matter. Plus, it was starting to get annoying. But yeah. Definitely a fun theory.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Someone needs to play a little less Star Ocean 3. >_>

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I think the massive looming question behind the entire "virtual reality" idea is that, how would we know? How could this Nick Bostrom even begin to know that this life, this reality, isn't real and is in fact a simulation? It's impossible to verify that idea, because we are not the "creators" of the "simulation," and thus we can only speculate as to the authenticity of our reality.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Wait, this guy is a professor and all he could come up with was "If this fantasy condition existed then it could cause this fantasy condition according to the rules of my fantasy"?

Oh great... I think he just evolved into a goldfish.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is this newsworthy? Almost every religion states that we are in fact living in a simulated environment by one or more intelligent overlords, and we reach 'reality' after our death.

Whatever. According to Bostrom, we're living in a 'matrix' IF

~ there is no technological gap that makes civilizations self-destruct after reaching it OR
~ advanced civilizations are interested in running such simulations OR
~ we're not on the 'top of the list' in a timeline of civilizations

One fact is interesting though, which he seemingly failed to realize: if a civilization reaches a stage where it is possible to start and maintain such a simulation, and they actually start the project, it is almost 100% sure that they are living in a simulated reality themselves; if they do not, it significantly reduces the possibility that they are living in a simulation. Such an advanced society would surely internalize this, and they would propably not start the simulation even if they have sufficient technology. This excludes the theory of a 'chain' of simulated worlds.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
It never ceases to disgust me that people get paid large sums of money to come up with this kind of tripe and get respect of the blind populace...

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If we were living in a simulation it would almost certainly mean it's entirely bugfree or self sufficient in recognizing and avoiding bugs.

This is statistically impossible. :p

MFJAGgernaut-B

MBTI Type
INFP
Actually, I think I may have a way to prove this!

Get Lawrence Fishburn to interview this guy. In the middle of the interview, he holds up two pills, one red, one blue. The red pill will be full of cyanide.

If he takes the blue, we're not in the matrix. Red, one less crazy bastard.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
If we were living in a simulation it would almost certainly mean it's entirely bugfree or self sufficient in recognizing and avoiding bugs.

This is statistically impossible. :p

Yep. Exactly. And why would our beer-drinking couch potato not include something fun, like magic or teleportation, rather than viral disease and violent death? The sim idea doesn't make sense to me on any level. It is fun to think about when stoned though.

Sacrator

MBTI Type
ENFP
What, you think a film based on a book by Carl Sagen starring Jodie Foster is a better theory than virtual reality? :huh:

Eh its always possible but most likely not. If it was a simulation it would probably be more organized unless the simulation was driven by pure chaos. No not the movie but the intro video where it zooms out of a persons eye into the cosmos and then out and out and out and then you see it form into the eye of the person. Yesterday i was talking to someone and in a split i got a feeling of just how crazy it is im talking to someone right now and that earth isn't just another desolate rock.