• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are evangelist really Christians?

m32

I was watching this video and i am not sure. They appear to be so into populare music, loudness and bright lights and most of the people present have this scary and crazy vibe around them. It just goes against anything i have seen in traditional Catholic and Lutheran churches, not to mention half the people in this video have weird body motorics.

here's a video

GeenStijl.TV : Rutger op de EO-Jongerendag

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
LOL. It depends how you define Christian.

I couldn't get the link to work, but I can just imagine. Our background is Pentecostal which tends to have a . . . wild worship style.

My daughter slept over at a friend's house a few months ago and went with her family to their Episcopal church. She was completely freaked out by the liturgical service and was certain she had been taken to a weird cult.

I assured her that they were Christians like us, not a cult and explained that her friend would be equally freaked out if she visited the kind of service we are accustomed to.

My personal opinion is that if you adhere to basic Christian beliefs and make an earnest effort to live accordingly, you are Christian, even if your style of worship seems kind of weird to me.

Owl

desert pelican
MBTI Type
INTP
Please provide an argument for your definition of a regulative principle of worship, and the rules that govern the use of that principle.

If that principle excludes pop. evangelical worship, then we can discuss the merits of your argument.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
Actually, alot of evangelists can't technically be considered christians. The definition of "Christian" assumes accepting jesus christ (where the christian part comes from) is the son of god, and to respect his teachings.

The vast majority of evangelists do not follow the teachings of jesus, particularly the ones about tollerance and compassion, therefore, by definition, they aren't really christians at all.

m32

Please provide an argument for your definition of a regulative principle of worship, and the rules that govern the use of that principle.

If that principle excludes pop. evangelical worship, then we can discuss the merits of your argument.

Argument? Definition? I was making a observation and a comparison. Maybe you should first try to define Catholic and Lutheran service and then evangelic service and work out what i mean based on the information you already have?

Maybe i am talking more about a psychological state then one which is religious?

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I know it is probably due to a language barrier, but it's hard to understand what you are saying.

My best interpretation of what you are saying is something like "Hey! These people are acting weird in church! They can't be Christians, can they? Christians only worship in the way that I am used to."

I don't want to misinterpret your idea, so maybe you could elaborate?

The link is not working for me, so I can't see what it is you are referring to.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Actually, alot of evangelists can't technically be considered christians. The definition of "Christian" assumes accepting jesus christ (where the christian part comes from) is the son of god, and to respect his teachings.

The vast majority of evangelists do not follow the teachings of jesus, particularly the ones about tollerance and compassion, therefore, by definition, they aren't really christians at all.

Nope. To many Protestants of any stripe, that is a heresy, the idea that we're saved by how we act and what we do rather than just by the grace of God. The idea is that if we could all be perfect of our own volition, we wouldn't need Christ. Christians have as many flaws as anybody else.

Evangelists take very seriously the idea that everyone on the face of the earth has to have an opportunity to hear the gospel and decide for himself whether or not he wants to be a Christian.

evan·gel·ize (-vnj-lz)
v. e·van·gel·ized, e·van·gel·iz·ing, e·van·gel·iz·es
v.tr.
1. To preach the gospel to.
2. To convert to Christianity.
v.intr.
To preach the gospel.

Evangelicals are definitely Christians.

m32

I know it is probably due to a language barrier, but it's hard to understand what you are saying.

My best interpretation of what you are saying is something like "Hey! These people are acting weird in church! They can't be Christians, can they? Christians only worship in the way that I am used to."

I don't want to misinterpret your idea, so maybe you could elaborate?

The link is not working for me, so I can't see what it is you are referring to.

Like i said to the chap before you. I was making an observation and a comparison: you know, the stuff knowledge flows from?

Owl

desert pelican
MBTI Type
INTP
Argument? Definition? I was making a observation and a comparison. Maybe you should first try to define Catholic and Lutheran service and then evangelic service and work out what i mean based on the information you already have?

Maybe i am talking more about a psychological state then one which is religious?

There are obvious differences in styles of worship between denominations, and even within denominations. (There are some very sober, solemn evangelicals.)

You asked whether, based on these differences, it were possible to distinguish Christians from non-Christians. This assumes a principle that regulates Christian worship such that persons breaking this principle are non-Christian.

Based on your observation of the differences between denominations, what makes you suspect that evangelicals aren't Christian?

Edit: I'm not attacking you or anything. My writing style is just dry, academic, and impersonal.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Do you mean evangelist or evangelical?

I believe what makes a particular denomination evangelical is that they believe a person is saved solely through faith in Jesus Christ. An evangelist is a person who preaches with the intent of converting people to their faith.

m32

There are obvious differences in styles of worship between denominations, and even within denominations. (There are some very sober, solemn evangelicals.)

You asked whether, based on these differences, it were possible to distinguish Christians from non-Christians. This assumes a principle that regulates Christian worship such that persons breaking this principle are non-Christian.

Based on your observation of the differences between denominations, what makes you suspect that evangelicals aren't Christian?

Edit: I'm not attacking you or anything. My writing style is just dry, academic, and impersonal.

I gave people a question. I gave you a question. Awnser it or shut up.

No, not just that. I asked nothing. Nothing!!

You know what i think? The only reason you are responding to this threat is because you think i must be a christian/fundamentalist and you get an ugly perversion out of using your fake and neurotic logic to drum on and on without thinking or listening, so that you can feel better then a particulare religious group i don't even belong to.

Last edited by a moderator: