• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Parenting Philosophies/The Role of Children In Society

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I don't have any children so this is purely speculative.

I've always thought you need to let them explore and take the risks, but stop them from being permanently injured or dying. You need to show enough discipline that they learn and don't end up as a brat with a PD, but not enough that they are beaten and have no self esteem. And make discipline clearly connected to the act you are disciplining for, so the connection won't be my parents are angry, more my parents are angry because... Impose your ideals sometimes, but let them be themselves and find their own ideals (as long as they are somewhere within reason, not killing people). Children have to play, help them follow their interests their way (don't take over them like some parents). It probably depends on the child too. Different children will be better off with different things. A good relationship with them would be important also. I think a close and loving family is worth a lot in terms of confidence and perspective.

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I've always thought you need to let them explore and take the risks, but stop them from being permanently injured or dying. You need to show enough discipline that they learn and don't end up as a brat with a PD, but not enough that they are beaten and have no self esteem. And make discipline clearly connected to the act you are disciplining for, so the connection won't be my parents are angry, more my parents are angry because... Impose your ideals sometimes, but let them be themselves and find their own ideals (as long as they are somewhere within reason, not killing people). Children have to play, help them follow their interests their way (don't take over them like some parents). It probably depends on the child too. Different children will be better off with different things. A good relationship with them would be important also. I think a close and loving family is worth a lot in terms of confidence and perspective.

+1

Good stuff. :)