• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ghost stories

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
Last night I was with a pretty diverse group of people when somehow the subject of ghosts was brought up. I was in the skeptical minority last evening, but it made me realize that lots of people (everyone that was there sans myself and 2 other people) have had what they consider to be genuine encounters with something they cannot explain away with logic.

I was curious if any people here had, for lack of a better word, a ‘personal ghost story’? This kind of thing has always fascinated me and I love hearing, talking, and reading about it so I have an open mind. It just something I’ve never experienced something first hand.

My apologies if this has been done before.

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
There is a place near me that has a ghost haunting legend. A couple of friends of mine went there once a swear they saw a ghost. A lady in old-styled clothing is what they say it appeared as. At a later date I went with them to the place, as a skeptic. Alas, nothing happened when I was there! I consider these things to be rubbish.

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I haven't had any ghostly experiences but the closest thing was when I was 8, I had recurring dreams of being abducted by aliens for about 2 weeks.

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
Alas, nothing happened when I was there! I consider these things to be rubbish.

I tend to lean toward that but so many people seem so sure. Granted people are so sure they've seen Elvis working at the Burger King in Kalamazoo. It makes me wonder if it's because they believe in the phenomenon that they see it and people who don't fail to see it? Maybe some people would be more sensitive to that kind of thing. Thoughts?

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I tend to lean toward that but so many people seem so sure. Granted people are so sure they've seen Elvis working at the Burger King in Kalamazoo. It makes me wonder if it's because they believe in the phenomenon that they see it and people who don't fail to see it? Maybe some people would be more sensitive to that kind of thing. Thoughts?

People can look at the same painting and come up with different sentiments. A person's attitude toward the subject can influence how the person interprets sensory data.

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
I can agree to that, especially if the experience in question was, "Someone was breathing down my neck and when I turned around no one was there." One person may chalk up their experience to a ghost, while another thinks it was only the wind. On the other hand how to explain when people actually see a ghost, or even speak to them?

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I can agree to that, especially if the experience in question was, "Someone was breathing down my neck and when I turned around no one was there." One person may chalk up their experience to a ghost, while another thinks it was only the wind. On the other hand how to explain when people actually see a ghost, or even speak to them?

Some people BS for one reason or another. Others are psychotic. People can be stranger than even ghosts themselves.

Fuulie

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I haven't personally had something happen that couldn't be explained away. There was one time when I was younger that what appeared to be an electric blue firefly came down the path to my tent, but it could have just been some kind of weird bug- blue is a common color for bioluminescence.

As such, I remain a skeptic, although I still sleep with a night light just in case. n_n

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
It's interesting to me that in all the people on this board (and I consider them to intelligent because they are at least trying to understand themselves or others :)) that I can't find one person who had something unexplainable happen. That says a lot.

Fuulie

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Well, most things that happen CAN be explained away... whether or not the explanation is correct is a different story. :) Still, I haven't seen any proof of ghosts, as of yet, despite all the shows about haunted houses and ghost finders and the like.

MBTI Type
INxJ
Ugh. This is what happens when people don't understand the science behind nature or how their mind works at times. If it can't be explained by anything they currently understand, it must be a ghost or god or [fill in the blank].

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
Ugh. This is what happens when people don't understand the science behind nature or how their mind works at times. If it can't be explained by anything they currently understand, it must be a ghost or god or [fill in the blank].

I agree. Maybe a more interesting question would be why do so many people still explain things they cannot understand with the supernatural and fight that there could be another answer. Where ghosts are concerned, the obvious answer is because all those people I talked with the other night want to believe there is something after death. There may be, I've never died so I don't know, but I understand that. The room went quiet and uncomfortable when I mentioned the possibility of their unexplained stories having a logical reason behind it. That's why I took the question here where there is no room to go quiet :) I really didn't think I'd get any stories but thanks for the responses.

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
A Ghost Story

I have a story. If you guys feel the need to call me the typical NF dunderhead, fine, but I'm going to share this.

Some points first though:

• I was 13 and my friends and I were in a "ghost hunting" club. You could say we were expecting to see something, so we imagined it. I don't know what to say. Take it for what you will.

• I do not have visions. I do not see things or hear voices. I am, to the best of my knowledge, in good mental health. This has, thus far, been the only thing of that magnitude-o-strangeness that's ever happened to me. I am now 24.

• The story is bizarre--it's not a typical ghost story. It's going to sound like we were smoking weed or something. Whatever happened that day, I can promise you I did no such thing. Neither did my friend as far as I know.

We were sitting on a small grass hill across the street from a house we suspected to belong to a witch. My friend and I sat there alone for hours. Around 5:10pm (summer, bright daylight), the porch light flashed bright red and a wall of thick red light materialized tron-like around the property line and then disappeared. This freaked us out (no shit?). We took off on our bikes. My friend split off from me and went inside his house. I kept riding hard. I noticed several crows (or some kind of black bird, *shrug) flying from telephone wire to telephone wire--they seemed to be following me, though I'll admit I was freaked out and they could've simply been restless birds. So I swallowed my fear momentarily, stopped my bike, looked up at them and mentally proclaimed, in Jesus' name, that they couldn't do this. Then I heard a laughter that seemed to come from everywhere; just as well could've been somebody watching a sitcom with a window open, I don't know.

I got back on my bike and rode like hell was behind me until I got into my house. I noticed the crows did indeed seem to stop on that wire.

Meseri

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
T2
I once hade a "haunted couch'' in a previous home. No kidding. You see when we would have people come over and dicide to sya for the night we only had the couch's or the floor to offer as sleeping space. Whenever someone would sleep on the couch located closest to my room they would have the same dream. They would describe having a waking experiance and find a figure standing over them. No matter how bright the room was the figure was always shrouded in darkeness. Yet despite this the describe having the feeling that the figure had very ill intent instore for someone. Then the figure would turn and proceed upstairs (to my room no less).

We never told anyone about someone elses previous experiance of sleeping on the couch, yet I was woken up by many a person convinced that I was in danger. I don't believe in ghost, in spite of this. But prehaps in cases of intense emotion we can leave impressions that others can later pick up on. It's the only way I can explain what was going on in this case.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
[fill in the blank].

Sup? You called?

I don't really know if this quantifies anything related to the op, but when I was a child, I would have deja vu VERY often (at least 3 times a week,) and I would often "see" things out of the corner of my eye that I couldn't really explain. Silhouettes of people or animals, occasionally a skeleton-like thing, etc.

I would also hear voices--not in the normal schiz or DID kind of way either. I would legitimately hear someone say my name, or say something like, "Hey." I would look around and no one would be there. It's pretty hard to get the idea across, as you could argue any number of things to explain this, but I would be in places where there would be no possible way for someone to mess with me like that, and I would hear something.

As far as ghost experiences go, however, there was one time when I was taking a bath and it seemed as though someone hit the shower curtain. This was extremely odd and completely unexplainable. I almost thought a bug could have done it, but there would have been no way a bug would have been heavy enough to do that where I live.

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Sup? You called?

I don't really know if this quantifies anything related to the op, but when I was a child, I would have deja vu VERY often (at least 3 times a week,) and I would often "see" things out of the corner of my eye that I couldn't really explain. Silhouettes of people or animals, occasionally a skeleton-like thing, etc.

I would also hear voices--not in the normal schiz or DID kind of way either. I would legitimately hear someone say my name, or say something like, "Hey." I would look around and no one would be there. It's pretty hard to get the idea across, as you could argue any number of things to explain this, but I would be in places where there would be no possible way for someone to mess with me like that, and I would hear something.

As far as ghost experiences go, however, there was one time when I was taking a bath and it seemed as though someone hit the shower curtain. This was extremely odd and completely unexplainable. I almost thought a bug could have done it, but there would have been no way a bug would have been heavy enough to do that where I live.

Alright, now we're rolling. *gives thumbs up to Blank, continues boosting thread*

Gloriana

Patron Saint Of Smileys
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I wrote about this in another thread but I'll quickly recount here. When I was in the cathedral of Notre Dame, I wigged out big time and had to leave. I just got this overwhelming feeling of dread and discomfort. The feeling of it was like something was THERE in a very visceral, undefinable sort of way and I felt that 'fight or flight' reaction.

I've had this sort of reaction in other places as well, but at the end of the day I feel it is all my imagination, the powers of suggestion, etc. Psychological reasons, or even neurological ones. When I thought about it, I certainly had ideas formed in my head about that place, and I think the data bank in my subconscious just formulated this reaction by going through all the history and tales I'd heard over many years.

I've had this reaction in places I know nothing about, but there is a general 'suggestion architecture' in place in my head. If you sit and pay attention in any given day, for example, if you REALLY pay attention you'll notice that there are sounds around that are constant for the entire day but then there are moments of silence that creep in and out. You probably won't notice if you're not looking for it. So if you're just in a place and there comes this quiet seemingly out of nowhere, it can give an eerie feeling and then BOOM, the head starts SUGGESTING things. Really though, sudden silences, disturbances in sound and sight, changes in temp/smell happen all the time it's just we're usually unaware.

I think sometimes the brain automatically starts kicking in with these suggestive ideas of the supernatural so quickly that it soon becomes "It just HAPPENED like that". We can't be aware of all the constant stimulation coming at us 100% of the time, I think those gray areas of tuning out environmental factors can lead to eerie experiences.

This is just my opinion. I fucking LOVE ghost stories and I love entertaining the notion. I don't really believe in them, but I will scare myself awake with the IDEA of them for sure.

For example, that haunted couch is scaring the bejeezus outta me right now...

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
When I was a boy I used to set up elaborate pranks to mess with my brothers. One time I set up this fishing line contraption so I would make noise in another room while I was in bed and nobody could accuse me of making the noise. Ghosts? I think so little brother, you know someone died in that room don't you?

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Okay, here's this.

I grew up, and spent the first quarter-century of my life, in a very old house by North American standards; it was built sometime in the mid-nineteenth century, as one of two very similar in-patient cottages for people who visited the doctor. For a hundred, hundred fifty years, there was always a doctor next door; the last was Dr Van Wort, who died maybe fifteen years ago. Last I know, a young family moved in.

Over the years, the house was gradually modified. If you were to carefully study, you could kind of reconstruct what it must have first looked like, and in what decades the alterations were made. The kitchen area, for instance, that connected the entranceway and what was once a corridor connecting the living room and the east wing of the house, was added in the 1960s -- as, probably, was the "new" basement under that section of the house. The corridor itself was added in the early twentieth century. It connected the main cottage to an outside shed (turning that into a large room, with its own door to the outside), and added an attic and a bathroom. Around when I was born, my parents added a large room above the kitchen, connecting the old upstairs to the slightly less old attic. Later an enclosed porch was added, running along the whole of the old portion of the house in an L shape.

So the place was a little convoluted. Old things opened into new things. Barriers were removed and built. Several bits made no sense, architecturally. It was a little like growing up in the Winchester Mystery House.

My parents moved in just before I was born; my sister was about ten at the time. When I was very young, my parents' old bedroom was in the old part of the house, upstairs at the end of the hall; later they moved to the room above the kitchen, turning the old room into a sort of dumping ground for dusty old crates of my father's dusty old books. For about twenty years its door had a panel missing, where my father once punched it out in a burst of anger, leaving a jagged, roughly rectangular hole at the top-left.

There was always something weird about that room. One night when I was three, I was lying in bed with my mother. The door was open about perpendicular to the jam, its missing panel opening like a window into the corner where my father kept a filing cabinet. I was perfectly awake; I had been unfocusing my eyes to stare at those red pinpricks you can sometimes see swimming in front of your vision. This was a new discovery for me, that night; I tried describing it to my mother, but she was more interested in sleeping. She told me it was just shadows, and to go to bed.

Well, clearly that wasn't. But soon I began to feel very strange, and I looked over to my right, to the open door. The missing panel -- there was someone watching me through it. A looming, dark figure of a man, darker than the surrounding darkness. Where the eyes might have been were two dull red dots. I was unsettled, but it didn't do anything. It just kept watching. I kicked my mother to try to wake her; she just grunted and thrashed back at me. For what seemed like ages I lay like that, watching it watch me. Then abruptly it turned aside and was gone, and the feeling passed.

So okay. Just the once, a three-year-old, in the dark -- nothing too abnormal there, you'd think. But then I kept seeing the frickin' thing. And usually in that room. It wasn't like clockwork; I might go months or years without seeing it. Then there it would be again.

After my parents moved down the hall and my father began filling the place with boxes, the room became a kind of cluttered guest bedroom. Thing is, everyone who slept there reported feeling very disturbed the next morning. I had a friend who stayed in there once and refused to again. He was seriously freaked out. He cited all kinds of little details, in themselves fairly innocuous. The sum of it was, any other time he stayed over, he slept on the couch downstairs.

One summer night, maybe around 1995, my parents and I were sitting in the living room, watching television; I was on a mat on the floor, futzing with something; they were on opposite ends of the room. Suddenly to my left, the glass door to a record cabinet -- the one holding my old game consoles -- exploded outward. Safety glass sprayed across the floor in a wave, fizzling and popping. For several minutes afterward, the glass kept cracking and jumping as if on a hot griddle. No one was near it at the time, but it was clearly visible to all three of us. So that was a little weird.

For the first few years of college, I continued to stay with my parents. I did, however, move to the larger bedroom next door -- my parents' old room. I poured in weeks of effort to clear the place out and redecorate, all by myself. It's then that our friend started to come solidly back into the picture. For years I had irregularly seen that shadowy, hunched-over form in the living room or the entranceway and stairs, or around the door to the basement. I always tried to dismiss it, but this line of terror always shot right up my spine. I would become cold, and the hair on my arms would stand up.

Sometimes I got these strange moments when suddenly I would turn on all the lights full power and close all the curtains, lest faces look in at me. As they do. It was only really the old part of the house that was a problem. I felt fine once I retreated to, say, the kitchen, or the hallway by the bathroom. Or my parents' new bedroom. It was irregular enough that I didn't much think of it when moving to my new room.

And, well, that's when the fun started. Fairly frequently I would be lying in bed, and I would look up, and there the shape would be at the foot, looming over me. Or I would be at the computer late at night, and I would sense something behind me. I would look over my left shoulder, and there it would be, inches away, intangible, but darker than the surrounding darkness. Often as not, with those eyes. Generally I would spring up, hold back a shriek, slam on the lights, and run out of the room. For the next few years this happened, I don't know, maybe once every month or two. Sometimes I felt something was following me around the house.

Then in... when was it? It would have been after my father left. Maybe 2002, after I returned from Orono? I was, I believe, in my room; my mother came knocking, clearly shaken. She asked if I had heard her just a moment ago. No, I said, I was oblivious. What was up?

She had been rummaging in the new part of the basement. You go down those stairs, you can turn right or you can turn left. Go left, and you're in the new basement. It's cobwebby and damp and can flood sometimes, but it's just a basement. Turn right and you're under the old part of the house, by the furnace. I don't even know how deep it goes, or what's in there, as somehow I've never dared to go more than a few feet in. So she had been to the left, looking through some boxes. She chanced to look up, into the old basement, and she saw a dark, looming, hunched-over figure staring at her. She shrieked threw something, rocketed up the stairs, and locked the door.

As she got to the part of the figure, I butted in and described it to her -- and she just stared at me. Yes, that was it exactly. I said, oh, yeah. I've been seeing that my whole life. Later we told my sister about all this. Normally she's the practical one, frustrated with both my mother's and my own flightiness. And she was also unsurprised. Yes, she said, there was always something wrong with that house. She said she had always refused to go into the old basement. If my father asked her to go in there to get a tool, she told him to get it himself, because there was no way she was going down there.

Now here's something sort of interesting. If you line them up, the living room is directly above the old basement. My parents' old bedroom is directly above the living room. The worst areas of the house are all aligned vertically over the same space.

I'm sure given the effort this all can be explained as some mix of psychology and environmental factors. But how boring!