• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do you Judge Intelligence?

Fuulie

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
In my opinion, intelligence is multi-dimensional. There are many ways to display intelligence, whether it be in writing, art, mathematics, or some other method. As such, I'm sure different people use different markers to determine the intelligence of others.

Personally, I judge by a person's ability to communicate (I would not recommend this method. It's very flawed and frequently makes for confusion in forums such as this, where I instinctually judge intelligence on grammar and sentence structure). I'm working towards judging by quality of ideas, instead of how they are presented.

What about you? How do you judge a person's intelligence? Does it even matter to you at all? SHOULD it matter?

Coeur

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I agree with you: multi-dimensional. How do I gauge someone's intelligence? I can just "tell," as if they have a neon brain floating above their head. Presumably, it has something to do with their creativity, depth, sense of humor, and overall level of articulation.

I am driven insane by how much certain IQ tests are overrated. I know a brilliant musician who cannot give directions to her house. I know amazing mathematicians who struggle with creative writing. I know poor students who have excellent "street-smarts." I am also driven insane by how much grades are overrated. They are more displays of work-ethic than intelligence, in my opinion.

I don't think that the level of IQ is as important as using whatever you have. Lack of intelligence is only bad when you posess a lack of judgement. Most people don't need quantum physics in everyday life, but making good decisions is very important.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I try to think of things in practical terms. To me competence is what matters. Intelligence is subjective. I trust a person's ability as far as they are able to show competence.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
I agree with you on judging intelligence based on communication. My first instinct is usually to write off people for poor grammar/spelling/using words completely incorrectly. I do know many people who do all of those but are just as intelligent as I am. My ISFP friend is very observant and good at pretty much anything in the real world but is always assigning words random meanings, and I know an ENFJ who can solve puzzles faster than me but can barely spell. It's always interesting when I find myself struggling to do something (like learn to drive manual transmission) and one of my friends gets it in a snap. Clearly there must be different forms of intelligence :D many of which are overlooked, as shown in the "Stupid NTs" thread.

WickedQueen

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I think intelligence is a gift from God.

Personally, I won't judge a person from his intelligence. It's like judging someone from his physical appearance. It's not fair.

P

Phantonym

I agree with the OP that intelligence is multi-dimensional. I don't have any single specific criteria that people have to meet in order to be intelligent. It's a combination of different things. Everybody has their moments and people's strengths can manifest when you least expect them to. I'm not going to look down on people or dismiss them right away when they say or do something that can raise an eyebrow.

Someone who asks a lot of questions.

I tend to agree, it's the curiosity which has to be supported by the ability to understand and make use of the information they get from the answers. Therefore, someone who can answer a lot of questions and the quality of their answers can be regarded as intelligent.

Mole

Permabanned
I think intelligence is a gift from God.

God has distributed intelligence amongst us along the Bell Curve.

This means that most of us are in the middle and very small numbers are at either end.

I have often wondered why God chose the Bell Curve because at times it does seem unfair to those few above 150 and to those few below 50.

Lightyear

I am really drawn to emotional intelligence, someone who has what I would describe as common decency, who naturally puts others before himself.

I also love a really sharp mind, I love it if I say something and someone's response is unexpected, he sees things from an interesting angle.

Mole

Permabanned
I am really drawn to emotional intelligence, someone who has what I would describe as common decency, who naturally puts others before himself.

They say the hallmark of emotional intelligence is restraint.

And common decency is what we all take for granted in a civilized society.

So are you drawn to those who are restrained or are you drawn to those who put others first?

r.a

meat popsicle
MBTI Type
STFU
in person, i judge intelligence by one's eyes. as soon as they open their mouth i am validated. some people appear to others as if they are in deep thought. just look a little further into their eyes and search for the hidden vacancy of understanding. they are actually thinking "left foot, right foot...".

on the internet, i judge by the ideas put forth, not so much with the presentation. my grammar and spelling leave much to be desired so i wouldn't hold it against anyone else.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I suppose I don't really judge intelligence, I will leave that up to IQ tests. I've never done one before (IQ test) but I assume that that it tests for a lot of mathematical kind of thinking, in that case I'm not intelligent myself but I don't think that is a terribly bad thing, I don't particularly value that kind of cognitive ability anyway. I don't think there is anything about that kind of cognitive ability that is inherently of more worth than any other kind of cognitive ability. I personally wouldn't put intelligence as defined by IQ tests on any sort of pedestal at all.

Perhaps the test itself is more of a test of values anyway, and how much the takers values line up with the testers values.

Like someone said in another thread, Ne could come up with 50 answers to one question, and I tend to value that kind of creative thinking over answering a question based on which answer is the most obvious or intended by the testmaker (which is probably more of a Te approach).

ladypinkington

Rubber Nipple Salesperson
MBTI Type
INFJ
I judge intelligence by how much a person does not jump to conclusions and investigates from many sources and many angles what he/she is intersted in learning. Not taking for granted anything obvious and yet not being married to the obvious either.

I appreciate people who know what/that they do not know because they will actually seek to understand and inform themselves-if you think you know it all than you are then done learning and I prefer people who are wanting to always learn and consider them intelligent.

I guess it isn't so much how much a person knows- but how much a person is interested in finding out about things and the manner in which they investigate that I consider and measure a person's intelligence.

Last edited:

Gloriana

Patron Saint Of Smileys
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I judge intelligence by how much a person does not jump to conclusions and investigates from many sources and many angles what he/she is intersted in learning. Not taking for granted anything obvious and yet not being married to the obvious either.

I appreciate people who know what they do not know because they will actually seek to understand and inform themselves-if you think you know it all than you are then done learning and I prefer people who are wanting to always learn and consider them intelligent.

I guess it isn't so much how much a person knows- but how much a person is interested in finding out about things and the manner in which they investigate that I consider and measure a person's intelligence.

I second this wholeheartedly. That would pretty much be my response.

Intelligence to me is consciously trying to prevent building walls that create tunnel vision when it comes to learning. Intelligence to me goes hand-in-hand with open mindedness and a genuine desire for learning (and listening).