• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why there should be other purpose in life than...

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Why should there be another meaning/purpose in one's life than just living?

Does the journey or the destination matter in life?
(With journey I mean the life itself, living it. With the destination I mean the purpose so many people are looking for.)

Is there such a purpose for each and every one of us?

What's your purpose in living or do you even need one?

durentu

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

Does the journey or the destination matter in life?
(With journey I mean the life itself, living it. With the destination I mean the purpose so many people are looking for.)

Is there such a purpose for each and every one of us?

What's your purpose in living or do you even need one?

I found many of these answers in the the book Flow, mihaly csikszentimihalyi

The purpose or meaning in life is one that you give it. Sure things like the state or church can provide a suggestion but ultimately you can deny or choose it and apply it to you life. Of course this freedom comes with responsibilities.

The journey/destination in life is a psychological requirement because of 2 reasons. First being that without an imagination, we are forced to face reality so completely that it would tear us apart. We only have 5 senses and reality is much more dense than that. (just as 2 different people to describe the same thing). The other reason is that the mind's natural state is chaos. If allowed to disintegrate, one would just go bonkers. Given these two thoughts, I think that a purpose in life is necessary for happiness and contentment, not for qualifying as a living thing.

I believe that everyone has a purpose. Our society works in such a way that the differences between us, that 0.01% brings us strength. If we were all clones, life would be oh so boring.

Determining what that 0.01% is and how to apply it in life is self-actualization. Maslow's hierarchy of needs comes to mind. From the business perspective, the golden rule is to niche thyself. What better way to smash the competition by delivering something that only you can do? I say, it comes from that 0.01%.

Snow Turtle

It's just to give reason to living. Many people including myself just don't like to do things without justification. Any justification can do, it doesn't even have to make sense to other people, it just has to make sense to the individual. For those who don't believe in higher powers, we just do our own things, creating our own games and reasons for doing stuff.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've been pondering this stuff recently, and trying to frame it in a new concept I call "inertia". Maybe someone has outlined this somewhere. Maybe even Freud or someone? But in any case, here's how I see it:

Inertia: whoever's at rest wants to stay at rest; whoever’s moving wants to keep moving (and in their frame of reference, they are actually at rest and everyone else is moving against them). Examples: recreation, survival/strife.

Accommodation: resources or situations that help one maintain inertia (e.g. money, power, fame/respect, (the pampering of the rich), etc).

Equilibrium: Any violations of inertia are paid back, either with more accommodation, or with “penalty” to offender’s inertia. (e.g. if you break rules of power structure, you are chastized, but when power structure is corrupt, you just have to "deal with it").

The goal of power seems to be to enact or enforce rules which affect others' inertia with the least affect on one's own.

Maintaining inertia seems like a double-bind, because of the principle of the “jungle’ or “survival of the fittest”, where those who strive the most to “climb the ladder” and attain power are the ones who get the power, and the inertia and accommodation that comes along with it. Of course, we are told that these people “are not happy”, and they themselves cannot really rest because someone is always trying to unseat them or take what they have.

So this creates a top down struggle, where everyone has to strive to maintain inertia, and hopefully gain ground. Sometimes, gaining ground is even necessary in order to in effect maintain what you have. Like when prices rise. In the analogy, the self-willed states are either inertia, or acceleration, which is you applying energy to push yourself into a new frame of reference from the one you were in. Then, you have a gravitational field, where a force is constantly pulling you down, and to have inertia is to freefall to the bottom, and the only way to maintain altitude is to sit still on a surface, and then you are in effect being pushed in a state of constant acceleration. The further up you go, the closer you come to true inertia where you are not pulled down; but it is hard to get up there.

So some make things “fair” as they are; after all, those at the top “worked hard” to get there, and they’re still working hard to maintain it. But it seems they are naturally driven that way, such that even their acceleration becomes a kind of inertia.
Many in positions of power or influence will justify their being hard on others by saying they’re "hard on themselves". But then they are the ones who control the rate they interrupt their own inertia (i.e. they push themselves when they want to; not someone else pushing them when hey don’t want to).

The de-facto purpose of life would seem to be survival. But while animals only live to survive, humans take it further than that. We want to enjoy life and have convenience.
In religion we say the purpose is really “to love and serve God”. But this of course often goes against our inertia, and thus is admittedly not the natural drive.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ

Who said there is one?

I'm no nihilist...I think each person creates their own purpose. To me, it's being more days happy than I am sad. I know what makes me happy so it's just pursuing that.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Living is a purpose. The distinction between living and living for a purpose is an artificial one. Living is the goal, and any purpose is an outcome of that.

The trail to purpose is obscure and gradually diminishing. By the time one thinks they are getting close to the goal, the trail disappears entirely, leaving the seeker lost. The trail of living is much easier to follow because it is defined as it is followed. These two trails may follow the same route, but the one which seems to lead somewhere often leads only to despair.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I found many of these answers in the the book Flow, mihaly csikszentimihalyi

I just read the book so maybe it has an effect on me?

I would prefer a purpose in my own life. But I've thought about the fact that if I use my whole life looking for a purpose and find out when I'm old that there wasn't none, isn't that kind of unnecessary thing? I mean quite frustrating to see that (this was also in the book).

But on the other hand, I would see that my life would be more meaningful with purpose, but the need for purpose might be nonsense. I mean, the purpose of living is to live. But I do need a purpose. If I make living a life a purpose then is it enough for me? No, it's not. But if I use my life finding a purpose and never do, it's even more frustraing.

The purpose or meaning in life is one that you give it. Sure things like the state or church can provide a suggestion but ultimately you can deny or choose it and apply it to you life. Of course this freedom comes with responsibilities.

I agree. But it's difficult to give yourself a purpose.

I believe that everyone has a purpose.

I don't see that everyone has a purpose. I don't see how my life has a purpose. Yet.

It's just to give reason to living. Many people including myself just don't like to do things without justification. Any justification can do, it doesn't even have to make sense to other people, it just has to make sense to the individual. For those who don't believe in higher powers, we just do our own things, creating our own games and reasons for doing stuff.

Isn't justification the same thing as the purpose?

The de-facto purpose of life would seem to be survival. But while animals only live to survive, humans take it further than that. We want to enjoy life and have convenience. .

Is the summary here that the purpose is to enjoy and have convenience? Or did I misinterpret your writing?

Who said there is one?

I'm no nihilist...I think each person creates their own purpose. To me, it's being more days happy than I am sad. I know what makes me happy so it's just pursuing that.

I don't know if there is. It's just so many are looking for a purpose. Including myself (at times).

Happyness, you say then? I would like that but for me, it's not enough even if it probably should be. I'm a dreamer and that is my problem. I don't stick to reality but escape it by dreaming. I do my daily activities but I prefer dreaming. I probably need to lear to enjoy this day. I have learned a bit but I still prefer to escape. ;)

Living is a purpose. The distinction between living and living for a purpose is an artificial one. Living is the goal, and any purpose is an outcome of that.

But it's not artificial. Life is boring and purpose is interesting. ;) Or maybe one should use their time making life interesting and thus the purpose unnecessary?

The trail to purpose is obscure and gradually diminishing. By the time one thinks they are getting close to the goal, the trail disappears entirely, leaving the seeker lost. The trail of living is much easier to follow because it is defined as it is followed. These two trails may follow the same route, but the one which seems to lead somewhere often leads only to despair.

But the purpose can be more than a goal or it even might not include a goal. A purpose can be that I work so that it benefits as many people as possible. There is no visible goal in this purpose, so I get the flow and the fullfillment everyday when I help anybody? (just an example)

So, as a intuitive "feeler", my need for purpose is full of possibilities that are value-based. My need to help somebody. My need to feel needed (that is probably quite common need amongst people). ??? Who knows if I don't. But it's hard to find the purpose and I'm thinking if I'm wasting my time trying to find one. And all the other people, few million or even more, are they all looking for a purpose for nothing? Is life itself a purpose when we shouldn't be looking for a separate purpose besides that? Should we all make the daily living a purpose, enjoying it as many people in this thread said already?

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Is the summary here that the purpose is to enjoy and have convenience? Or did I misinterpret your writing?
I was just trying to outline a "de-facto" (natural) "purpose" I have noted. We can try to add other purposes on top of that (such as religious ones), but our natural goal in life seems to be this "inertia" I'm talking about, which does boil down largely to convenience and pleasure.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
If destination is the sole purpose for life then I'm screwed cos I don't even know where I'm going and probably will be even less clued up when I get there. I suppose the only real destination I can be sure of is the cemetary. I really do think that the journey has to be the purpose for life and the poeple that you meet and love along the way. Also if a destination becomes the sole purpose of your life then what do you do once you get there? Do you have decide on a new destination to strive for all over again, in which case it was never really a destination! But ignore me I am just justifying the fact that I'm just a hopeless wanderer! :D:D:D

durentu

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
So, as a intuitive "feeler", my need for purpose is full of possibilities that are value-based. My need to help somebody. My need to feel needed (that is probably quite common need amongst people). ??? Who knows if I don't. But it's hard to find the purpose and I'm thinking if I'm wasting my time trying to find one. And all the other people, few million or even more, are they all looking for a purpose for nothing? Is life itself a purpose when we shouldn't be looking for a separate purpose besides that? Should we all make the daily living a purpose, enjoying it as many people in this thread said already?

Gotta be careful that you don't tie yourself into a knot. It can be difficult to get out of.

The idea of the life purpose is interesting because everyone has a different idea of it. Many people have myths and misconceptions about the life purpose. As if perhaps it's something written in your genes or something so obvious.

When you read about successful people and how they achieved their life, they may talk about their life purpose, but it's not a gem you find on the way. It's something you realize when you do your own thing.

The common thread between these stories is that they finally demanded their place in the world, regardless if they know what that place is or not. It's about discovering what you got. That inner voice that tells you what to do, but for most, self sabotage that voice.

The life purpose is like 20/20 vision where hindsight is oh so clear. This is what we first come to realize about the life purpose and the first mistake.

The life purpose isn't that obvious. The determination of the life purpose is to do exactly what you want to do, for better or worse, and to keep growing. Of course there will be failures, but something inside you wants to get out. To have a voice in the world. The right to express it in the manner you see fit.

Everyone has that inner voice tugging them in certain directions. This is the life purpose. Most people squash this with a whole battalion of excuses (it wont make my money, it's too stupid, people wont love me for it) etc. The only person that can protect and nurture that voice is yourself. When the decision is made to protect it instead of squashing it, the outward effect is that of strength/courage and a correct selfish attitude to fend people off.

There are a few ways to get in touch with that inner voice. Meditation, vacation, solitude, jumping from airplanes, etc. After you hear that inner voice, the next step is to figure out how to bring it to the world. By engaging the rational mind to come up with definite plans to deliver that inner voice into reality, or to have self expression.

The inner voice is valuable, because it'll be unique for you. Hence this is true value no matter how you cut it. And when you start fighting for your inner voice instead of against it, you'll start to deliver that value onto the world.

The is the main idea/purpose/goal whatever. This is what Mihaly intends behind "the meaning of life is meaning". You apply meaning to your own life. These days, advocating your own inner voice is the most beneficial, modern, awarding and all those positive things. This hold true for many of the world religions and philosophies. The right and freedoms to express yourself; advocated by most constitutions via 'the pursuit of happiness'.

Also have to be careful how you characterize 'the life purpose'. If it's seen as a manual for your very own personal life, then it's authoritative and tyrannical by its nature via dictation. In some ways, people have taken MBTI in the same light all to make things easier and escape the grand life adventure.

When going through life and fighting for your inner voice, there will be hardships, barriers and just plain old weird. Many of the great people in life all had to fight their own demons and battles. Perhaps it was a disability, or it was the government itself. Sometimes it's the spouse or any number of other things.

Another thing about the stigma of the life's purpose is that it's not something that can be obtained. It's not the ultimate sword or ring to conquer the universe with. It's something to strive for in life and what keeps our sanity intact by ordering our perceptions of reality, because if you let all of reality in, you'd probably go insane.

For some people, the life purpose or goal is to rule the world. Some others just want a warm meal every other day if possible. And still others, the life goal is to beat a terminal condition.

Some read into the words precisely because it's the message that's the important thing. If you really do understand the message here, then you will find any number of different vocabularies to that expresses the same thing. It's been written throughout history through many epochs.

MBTI and other typologies are a great way to narrow down reality and pick out the salient thread that may reveal one's life purpose. But it never promised that it would do that. It's really up to you to discover it yourself, and as you bounce back and forth between values/faiths/rationals/theories or whatever, you'll eventually find it. Sometimes, people just know it when they were kids, without a doubt in their mind.

I'm discovering my life purpose, but for some reason, I think I had it, then I let it go because it was the "responsible" or "adult" thing to do. Must cultivate faith and courage to stand in mid air and demand expression.

Some tricks I do for self discovery are
1. collect quotes
2. be extremely curious and drive towards answers
3. mind map my thoughts to keep my mind clear

To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means, to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight, and never stop fighting. - EE Cummings

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
James Taylor said "The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time," and that's my purpose. Living as a pastime.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My purpose in life is to figure out how to make people happy, people tend to stay around when you can figure out how to make them happy.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
But it's not artificial. Life is boring and purpose is interesting. ;) Or maybe one should use their time making life interesting and thus the purpose unnecessary?
This is mostly what I meant, except "interesting" isn't enough. I think fulfilled or Maslow's concepts of achieving self-actualization and self-transcendence is what is needed. Once this is achieved, purpose is an outcome rather than a goal itself, just as you describe it here:

But the purpose can be more than a goal or it even might not include a goal. A purpose can be that I work so that it benefits as many people as possible. There is no visible goal in this purpose, so I get the flow and the fullfillment everyday when I help anybody? (just an example)

When approached this way with living a fulfilled life as the simple goal, nothing done in life is wasted or pointless. It seems selfish, but a person must be strong inside before they can help others without burning out.