• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Clarence Darrow v G.K. Chesterton on evolution, science, and religion

S

Sniffles

Here Ivy, in case you missed it last night. :)

[youtube="FI4rpNrkfps"]Evolution debate[/youtube]

S

Sniffles

Then here's another one concerning Chesterton's debate with Robert Blachford on miracles.

[youtube="nBHGPMC-XKw"]On Miracles[/youtube]

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Thank you!

The theatrics were a little distracting, especially since the Clarence Darrow guy reminded me of Tom Smothers and I could never shake that.

I especially enjoyed "I'm not sure if my opponent is arguing with me, or some fundamentalist, perhaps an aunt of mine" :D

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
These remind me of various debates I've seen on this forum. I suppose the two viewpoints haven't changed all that much.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Yes exactly! That's what I was getting at with the "are you confusing me with a fundamentalist?" thing. I feel like I say that ALL THE TIME if I take the side of defending religion in a debate.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
Yes exactly! That's what I was getting at with the "are you confusing me with a fundamentalist?" thing. I feel like I say that ALL THE TIME if I take the side of defending religion in a debate.

Same here, and I'm not even a believer. Though to be fair, I've found myself assuming that regular atheists were militantly inclined during these debates, as well.

Usehername

On a mission
I had about a 15 second moment where I "realized" that Chesterton was not, in fact, dead like I presumed him to be, and berated myself for my lack of basic understanding about some of the notable authors in my faith's recent history. Then I clicked the movie and had a deep feeling of relief about my knowledge base standing where I thought it did (which is not that much, but you don't want it to be less!).

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
This was entertaining and thought provoking. Chesterton was given 90 percent of the good lines, however. I wondered ( upon noticing that ) whether these dramatic re-creations were based on an exact ( or reasonably close ) transcription of the debates or not.

When Darrow brought up Catholicism as being traditionally against science, for example, Chesterton accurately cited monks and other people having preserved much of what we know about history etc. in their archives. It's hard to believe that Darrow wouldn't have countered by conceding this point, and then mentioning Galileo, for example.