• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Conservative Christians and Global Warming

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
First, let me just say that I am a liberal Christian, therefore I am not attacking Christians or Christianity.

What I have noticed is that people who are largely on the Right of the American political spectrum, including conservative Christians, deny or downplay the existence of global warming.

I think that this is interesting only because the Bible says in the book of Peter that world will be destroyed by fire.

It seems that global warming and its long-term effects could certainly be applied to destruction of the earth by fire.

Discuss.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well, the Earth will burn when it's supposed to, so I don't spend time worrying about it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What I have noticed is that people who are largely on the Right of the American political spectrum, including conservative Christians, deny or downplay the existence of global warming.

I think that this is interesting only because the Bible says in the book of Peter that world will be destroyed by fire. It seems that global warming and its long-term effects could certainly be applied to destruction of the earth by fire.

Uggh. I wouldn't be making those sorts of vague parallels, it's sort of a stretch -- the point is not really what is meant by "fire" in the scripture but simply whether it makes sense to so readily dismiss potential global ills in conjunction with the admonition to care for the earth given in Genesis.

This debate is actually pretty hot and heavy in the world-wide Christian church right now, and there's books within evangelical culture where people are arguing both sides of the issue. (Some insist global warming is a myth.)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I wouldn't say that it's too much of a stretch because the entire earth will be affected by this fire.

This seems to me like global warming or nuclear meltdown could be possibilities.

Why not stretch? It is a point to ponder, particularly with the years of tribulation that are supposed to come before the end. Of course, the question isn't for people who blatantly dismiss the Bible, because of course their knee-jerk response will be to say that nothing is Biblical.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Isn't God supposed to return for judgment first?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I would also like to say as someone who cares about animals and the environment that I agree whole heartedly with the admonition in Genesis to care for the earth. I'm absolutely not saying "bring on global warming" like it's a good thing at all.

However, a prophecy is a prophecy, and people do have some free will, don't they? For example, Jesus was crucified by humans to fulfill a prophecy. Couldn't humans destroy the earth, too?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
my point is that it isn't supposed to be a gradual thing.

actually there are supposed to be years leading up to it with natural signs, but no one will know the moment of utter destruction

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
actually there are supposed to be years leading up to it with natural signs, but no one will know the moment of utter destruction

I know, but I thought all the signs we were supposed to look for were given. I don't remember the earth heating up as one of them, but I can't remember. And warming and cooling has been happening for millenia, hence the ice ages and the melting of said ice.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
the "global warming" thing is largely due to poor sampling methodologies and blips in the sunspot activity of our Lord helios.....

in reality, we're heading towards another ice age. The quirks of the past couple decades will pale in comparison to that eventuallity. Y'all need to be worrying about global COOLING, not warming. We need to heat this motherfucker UP!! Who's got extra styrofoam they don't need?!

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
the "global warming" thing is largely due to poor sampling methodologies and blips in the sunspot activity of our Lord helios.....

in reality, we're heading towards another ice age. The quirks of the past couple decades will pale in comparison to that eventuallity. Y'all need to be worrying about global COOLING, not warming. We need to heat this motherfucker UP!! Who's got extra styrofoam they don't need?!

for realz.

Owl

desert pelican
MBTI Type
INTP
The passage in 2nd Peter that says that the elements will be destroyed by fire, but the word used, (stoixei), implies that the elements to be destroyed will be the elements, or rudiments, of knowledge. The same word is used in Colossians where Paul says in 2:8:

See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ.

In Galatians Paul writes:

So also, when we were children, we were in slavery under the basic principles of the world.

and in 4:9

But now that you know God—or rather are known by God—how is it that you are turning back to those weak and miserable principles?

The claim is not so much that the world will be destroyed by fire, although it may be, as much as it is that the weak and miserable rudiments of worldly knowledge, which depend on human tradition rather than on Christ, will be destroyed.

As for global warming, we have bigger fish to fry. We're in the middle of a war, (and I don't mean the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, or even the "war on terror"). Even if global warming is due to human activity, we can't just up and pull the plug on our energy policies. You think China is going to impose cap and trade on their industry? Is the potential for Chinese hegemony even on your radar? And its not just China. India is resurgent, and Russia still has global ambitions. Yes, global warming may bring on some drastic changes, but I'd rather deal with those changes when they come than be forced to submit to a regime that controls thought with the barrel of a gun.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I think something was mentioned in Malachi, and Peter said the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare.

Owl

desert pelican
MBTI Type
INTP
I'm aware.

The word translated as "elements" is, as I wrote, the Greek word "stoixei" which means:

3. the elements of proof, e.g. in general reasoning the πρῶτοι συλλογισμοί, Arist.Metaph.1014b1; in Geometry, the propositions whose proof is involved in the proof of other propositions, ib.998a26, 1014a36; title of geometrical works by Hippocrates of Chios, Leon, Theudios, and Euclid, Procl. in Euc.pp.66,67,68F.: hence applied to whatever is one, small, and capable of many uses, Arist.Metaph.1014b3; to whatever is most universal, e.g. the unit and the point, ib.6; the line and the circle, Id.Top.158b35; the τόπος (argument applicable to a variety of subjects), ib.120b13, al., Rh.1358a35, al.; “στοιχεῖα τὰ γένη λέγουσί τινες” Id.Metaph.1014b10; τὸ νόμισμα ς. καὶ πέρας τῆς ἀλλαγῆς coin is the unit . . of exchange, Id.Pol.1257b23; in Grammar, ς. τῆς λέξεως parts of speech, D.H.Comp.2; but also, the letters composing a word, A.D.Synt.313.7; letters of the alphabet, Diog. Bab.Stoic.3.213; ς. τοῦ λόγου the elements of speech, viz. words, or the kinds of words, parts of speech, Thphr. ap. Simp. in Cat.10.24, Chrysipp.Stoic.2.45, A.D.Synt.7.1, 313.6.
4. [select] generally, elementary or fundamental principle, ἀρξάμενοι ἀπὸ τῶν ς. X.Mem.2.1.1; “ς. χρηστῆς πολιτείας” Isoc.2.16; τὸ πολλάκις εἰρημένον μέγιστον ς. Arist.Pol.1309b16; “ς. τῆς ὅλης τέχνης” Nicol.Com.1.30, cf. Epicur. Ep.1p.10U., Ep.3p.59U., Phld.Rh.1.127S., Gal.6.306.

I'd provide the link, but my computer won't let me.

This is the same word that, in the quotes of my previous post, is translated as "principles".

"Stoixei" may also mean the components in which all matter is ultimately divisible, but even this meaning connotes a foundational, explanatory role that is used to give meaning to less basic explanatory theorems in physics. Peter may also be prophetically predicting a future event, but in his epistle he is speaking of the Day of the Lord's judgment, or God coming in judgment. And the purest expression of the judgment of God is not inherently expressed as a ball or lake of fire; the lake of fire, the second death, is meaninglessness, and meaninglessness is the result of believing in, or being enslaved to, the weak principles founded on only the traditions of men.

Christians are to work to hasten the day Peter speaks about, when the heavens are burned and the earth is laid bare--when the very foundations of the world as it currently is are uprooted and destroyed, when the heavens, the authorities and powers, are burned, and a new order of things is established.

Is this physical, or spiritual?

aaannnnddd... this is turning into an eschatological thread.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
First, let me just say that I am a liberal Christian, therefore I am not attacking Christians or Christianity.

I think that this is interesting only because the Bible says in the book of Peter that world will be destroyed by fire.

It seems that global warming and its long-term effects could certainly be applied to destruction of the earth by fire.

Discuss.

I think this depends somewhat on whether the person is conservative politically or theologically. I'm fairly moderate in both, but I tend to lean liberal on politics and conservative on theology.

I tend to think Global Warming is a misleading term, so I prefer Global Climate Change. I think it's pretty easy to see that the climate is changing, and it would be in our best interest to be good stewards of the planet while we are here.

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
I never talk about religion, but I think some people who twist the bible are some of the biggest sinners against God.

See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ.

basic principles of this world would be more about making political alliances with oil companies, war machines, who will fund one's empty hollow lifestyles.

A true pastor/preacher would not concern himselves with the politics of this world, with the capitalism that runs our lives. Making alliances with it would dilute the message of God's love more than it would fund the wrong message and turn many people away.

You can ask yourself what the true "things of this world" are. Most "hippies" go against war and imperialism, not against God. While Christians who buy into this alliances with oil companies and war machines, Im not sure if the pastor/preacher is talking about the spirituality that Christ taught.

S

Sniffles

I think this depends somewhat on whether the person is conservative politically or theologically.
That's an important point to keep in mind: after all Christianity is 2000 years old while our modern political categories are only 300 years old(they date from the French Revolution).

Trying to read Global Warming into Biblical prophecy is very much akin IMO to those who try to read 9/11 or the Iraq War, or anyother contemporary events into it. You really can't do that, and in some ways betrays the more perennial significance of such prophecies.

Owl

desert pelican
MBTI Type
INTP
I never talk about religion, but I think some people who twist the bible are some of the biggest sinners against God.

Interesting that you should say this, as 2 Peter chapter 2, (the chapter that immediately precedes the chapter in which the elements are said to melt by fervent heat), deals explicitly with false teachers who secretly introduce heresy into of the word of God.

2 Peter 2:17-22

These men are springs without water and mists driven by a storm. Blackest darkness is reserved for them. For they mouth empty, boastful words and, by appealing to the lustful desires of sinful human nature, they entice people who are just escaping from those who live in error. They promise them freedom, while they themselves are slaves of depravity—for a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. If they have escaped the corruption of the world by knowing our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and are again entangled in it and overcome, they are worse off at the end than they were at the beginning. It would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than to have known it and then to turn their backs on the sacred command that was passed on to them. Of them the proverbs are true: "A dog returns to its vomit,"and, "A sow that is washed goes back to her wallowing in the mud."

This sentiment is echoed by Jude who applies it not only to false teacher, but to all those who have slipped within the church who do not contend for the true faith (Jude 1:12-13).

These men are blemishes at your love feasts, eating with you without the slightest qualm—shepherds who feed only themselves. They are clouds without rain, blown along by the wind; autumn trees, without fruit and uprooted—twice dead. They are wild waves of the sea, foaming up their shame; wandering stars, for whom blackest darkness has been reserved forever.

You are quite right. Such men are the biggest sinners against God. They are white-washed sepulchers; appearing clean outwardly, inwardly they are full of dead mens' bones. Twice dead, the worst curses and woes of all scripture are reserved for them.

basic principles of this world would be more about making political alliances with oil companies, war machines, who will fund one's empty hollow lifestyles.

A true pastor/preacher would not concern himselves with the politics of this world, with the capitalism that runs our lives. Making alliances with it would dilute the message of God's love more than it would fund the wrong message and turn many people away.

You can ask yourself what the true "things of this world" are. Most "hippies" go against war and imperialism, not against God. While Christians who buy into this alliances with oil companies and war machines, Im not sure if the pastor/preacher is talking about the spirituality that Christ taught.

I disagree. A Christian ought to be intimately concerned with politics, and he will actively work against those beliefs that manifest themselves in cultures and institutions that do not recognize the law of God.

You said a basic principle would be more about an alliance with a war machine than... well you didn't say what it would be more about than. (I can only assume that you meant more than what I proposed. Perhaps not.)

I would say that a basic principle of this world would be more about capitalism than an alliance with capitalists. For capitalism, a basic philosophical principle in the discipline of economics, is used to give meaning to less basic economic principles, and if you take the belief that supports the institution captive, you take the institution captive too. Furthermore, capitalism is one of the weak principles founded on the traditions of men; it isn't based on the law of God; for capitalism assumes that man owns all individually. This is usually put forward as the only alternative to the other great economic lie that asserts that man owns all collectively, communism. But this is a false dichotomy, as the truth is that God owns everything, not man.

We as Christians need to be faithful witnesses of the truth of God to the world, which means we need to be in the world, working in its institutions even when we work against them, not withdrawn from the them.