• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How many of you are "real" atheists ?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I have noticed that there is alot of people on this forum that claim to be an atheists and agnostics.

So I am wondering how many of you are officially atheists and how many of you have decided to live as an atheists even if that is not what you are on the paper?
Basicly the only thing I am asking is "How many of you dont belong to any religion on paper ?"

Btw. why did you reject your religion ?

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I always wonder, AO. As an atheist, do I act so different as I would if I believed in a god? I don't think so. I have greater belief in my moral fiber than that.

What religion is there to reject? People aren't born believing in the Bible, the Koran, etc. They are taught. Certainly on the physical level, they can be forced into the status quo of religious ritual.

And maybe when they are too young to learn fully/ to truly knowlingly accept religion into their life it is just the only path that appears to unveil before the, but as adults, I think people choose to include religion into their lives.

But maybe I'm strange. I think most people consider "believing in God/religion" as a state of being, a default that doesn't change once you set the "mode". I think that it has to be nurtured, otherwise it is in name only and not in reality.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
"real"... atheist, as opposed to a fake/phony one?? Neither, I'm not an atheist, but I don't believe in God because I don't have to. I did not reject "my" religion because I never had one - i AM religion..... (and possibly psychotic)

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I have noticed that there is alot of people on this forum that claim to be an atheists and agnostics.

So I am wondering how many of you are officially atheists and how many of you have decided to live as an atheists even if that is not what you are on the paper?

I'm officially agnostic and live that way, though I do mess with astrology, tarot, runes, and Greco/Roman mythology occasionally. If MBTI counts as a religion like Victor says, then I suppose I'm a follower.

Because it (and it's followers) said I wasn't allowed to do something I felt like I needed to do, and I thought that was awfully presumptuous of it.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4

Define "real" atheist. I'm pretty sure I am one, but it depends on how your defining it.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
There is a reason why I have placed that "real" in quotation marks.
Basicly the only thing I am asking is "How many of you dont belong to any religion (on paper) ?"

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"real"... atheist, as opposed to a fake/phony one?? Neither, I'm not an atheist, but I don't believe in God because I don't have to. I did not reject "my" religion because I never had one - i AM a religion..... (and possibly psychotic)

INTPs and their hair-splitting semantics. So you're non-theistic... as opposed to a "non-theist" because that term would connote a label, which would connote an ideology, or anti-ideology as it were? I suppose I can dig it, but that makes my head hurt.

(And stop hoping you're psychotic so that you can inherit the "mad genius" shock factor when you achieve something of merit or to absolve yourself of a failed endeavor. :tongue10:)

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Is there like a "Certificate of Religious Declaration" I don't know about? What do you mean by that, AO?

P

Phantonym

How many of you dont belong to any religion (on paper)?

I don't. Not on paper nor anywhere else. It's people's own decision what they believe in and why. I consider myself an agnostic. I believe I don't have any means to determine the existence or non-existence of a superior "being" or whatever.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
INTPs and their hair-splitting semantics. So you're non-theistic... as opposed to a "non-theist" because that term would connote a label, which would connote an ideology, or anti-ideology as it were? I suppose I can dig it, but that makes my head hurt.

(And stop hoping you're psychotic so that you can inherit the "mad genius" shock factor when you achieve something of merit or to absolve yourself of a failed endeavor. :tongue10:)

its not antics or semantics.... Whether there is or is not a God makes no difference in my metaphysical system(the essential parts and maxims, anyway). It's not hair splitting, its analytics.

I am not theistic because I do not partake in rituals that are (to some) pertinent to God, but that doesn't mean I deny the existence of God. In fact, the entire statement "God exists" is poor grammar from a redunctancy check - its saying "existence exists". When Kierkegaard said that God is a verb, he ought to have said that God is a clause that augments whatever you attach it to.

to answer the question though, i have no religion on paper.

Snow Turtle

Not really.
But considering I have beliefs that are derived from certain religions, I'd label myself as an agnostic leaning towards theisism, or just a weak theist. Most of my time I live my life as if I'm not religious, as I don't think there is any real need to do so most of the time. Most religion contain similiar underlying principles, where an atheist can adopt without religion.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Basicly the only thing I am asking is "How many of you dont belong to any religion on paper ?"

What does it mean be 'officially' an atheist? Flipping the coin, I don't think any one of us is a card-carrying theist. I wasn't aware official designation decreeing one's religious identity was available...

This is an interesting framework, AO. What divides proper religious belief from improper? Are there grades of a/theistic purity?

I was under the impression that one's religious ideology was more a subjective, personal experience vs. a question of spiritual cleanliness.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Is there like a "Certificate of Religious Declaration" I don't know about? What do you mean by that, AO?

I am sorry if I am too vague. Which is probably because of cultural differences. In my country it was completely normal to have lists of religious people in the times od communism. So asking "What are you on the paper?" stayed as a phrase to this day.

I am simply not familiar about how you do things in the US.

What I am asking how many of you never got baptised or whatever the first ritual in other religions is.

wastrd

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP

your skepticism on whether one is as real an atheist as he claims is comical.

well i'm an atheist, rejected religion because it's retarded so i leave it to retards.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
your skepticism on whether one is as real an atheist as he claims is comical.

well i'm an atheist, rejected religion because it's retarded so i leave it to retards.

No, I have just expressed myself in a wrong way.
Towards my opinion person which claims to be an atheist and lives that way is an atheist.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
What does it mean be 'officially' an atheist? Flipping the coin, I don't think any one of us is a card-carrying theist. I wasn't aware official designation decreeing one's religious identity was available...

This is an interesting framework, AO. What divides proper religious belief from improper? Are there grades of a/theistic purity?

I was under the impression that one's religious ideology was more a subjective, personal experience vs. a question of spiritual cleanliness.

I am sorry if I am too vague. Which is probably because of cultural differences. In my country it was completely normal to have lists of religious people in the times of communism. So asking "What are you on the paper?" stayed as a phrase to this day.

I am simply not familiar about how you do things in the US.

Does this makes any sense to you and explains my approach here ?

I am simply trying to clearify my position. Since I am not used to so subjective interpretacions of religious attachment.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
I've been baptised and even did communion. "On paper" I'm a catholic. I could theoretically get into heaven according to the beliefs of well over one billion people. However, over here in Holland, as others have pointed out for the US, it's hardly a matter of what you are on paper. I'm an atheist, with a tendency not to get into discussions about the existence of god anymore because neither me, nor my supposedly religious opponent can actually proof our point.

Son of the Damned

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I'm a "real" Atheist in that I reject all supernatural ideas, Religion included. I toyed with Judeo-Christian beliefs, but I abandoned it as I grew older and began to question why I believed in that system.

I personally find the idea of a personal God, or a deity of any sort to be laughably primitive and naive. I just don't see any compelling reason to believe in anything like it.