• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How many of you are "real" atheists ?

Nihilen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
What are you trying to say? He does have a point.
You become an atheist only if once upon a time you used to (forced to and threatened to and blackmailed) to believe in a God and when you stop believing in Him.
So yeah you become an Atheist once you stop worshiping.

And if you've never worshiped any gods ?

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
True that what you say.

but it should be noted that Buddha himself had said that there are Gods/devas.
But they do not influence nor are they the ultimate judges of the universe.
And he has also told that Devas can't help you (send you to heaven.)
According to Buddhism there are worlds in which Devas live.

BUT THEY HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH ENLIGHTENMENT.

And according to Buddha knowing and worshiping them would not help you attain enlightenment (understand nirvana/enlightenment) or send you to heaven as mentioned above.

Ps - He has also told that there are other planets which are occupied by sentient being and higher intelligent beings (like humans.)

Which basically means that aliens exist.
Gooooooooooooooo Star Trek.:D

I see what you're saying, but once again, I've got to make the distinction: what you're saying is true for Mahayana Buddhism, which is what the majority of Buddhists in the world follow. It is more a reconciliation of Buddhist principles with South and South East Asian deities.

Theravada Buddhism, such as that practiced in Dravidian and Tamil parts of the Subcontinent, is much more concentrated on earthly things.

R

Riva

I see what you're saying, but once again, I've got to make the distinction: what you're saying is true for Mahayana Buddhism, which is what the majority of Buddhists in the world follow. It is more a reconciliation of Buddhist principles with South and South East Asian deities.

What I am refering to is Sutras in Tripitaka.
The teaching of buddhism are devided into 3 parts.
1.Vinaya
2.Sutras pitaka
3.Abidharma

1.The Vinaya teaches abt Discipline which are a must to the buddhist monks (not laymen s). This is mainly to protect the discipline of the monks.

2.The sutras are what Buddha said. All the information you need to know about Buddhism are in sutras. They are theoretically illustrated.

3.Abidharma is the philosophical aspects of Buddhism.

The Vinaya and sutras (almost entirely) are the same in theravada and Mahayana Buddhism. But the Vinaya is not properly practiced at all by the Mahayana buddhist monks because they have a mixture of Buddhism and Thaoism.

The Sutras (what Buddha said in theoretical terms) are the same in Theravada and Mahayana Buddhism.

But there are sutras which are not found in Mahayana Bud which are found in Thera and vise versa.

Theravadi Buddhism (sutras in theravadi Buddhism) describes about the existence of Devas and other world.

What I have said above is a refernce to a Sutra. And sutras are same in Theravada and Maha. And to make it more clear to you, I read and is exposed to Theravada Buddhism.

So what i told you was Theravada beliefs in Devas. not mahayana.

Theravada Buddhism, such as that practiced in Dravidian and Tamil parts of the Subcontinent, is much more concentrated on earthly things.

:huh:

Tamils do not practice Buddhism. They (most of them) practice Hinduism. Tell me a single Tamil/ Dravidian state that practices Buddhism???????? there are 4 Dravidian states.

Last edited: