• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why pray before a meal?

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
A lot of times religious customs bug me. It seems so artificial and contrived. One that always seems so pointless to me is when people pray before they eat. Why not pray 20 minutes before you eat? Why not pray continuously, daily? Why do people go year after year doing something such as this, only because that's how they were brought up and have always done it? Is it wrong to step outside of that routine or something?

P

Phantonym

If people do it just because they feel obligated by tradition, then it's just hypocritical.

If people do it when they feel they are blessed because they have food on their table when so many do not, then it is a sign of their character and how they respect their lives.

If you don't feel like doing it, it is your choice and you shouldn't feel bad about it.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Well, I'm not religious myself. I don't pray. I'm just looking from an outsider's perspective. It just seems a lot of people think they're committing an error if they don't pray before a meal... I don't understand that.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Dude, do you know how many chefs/cooks don't wash their hands?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
A lot of times religious customs bug me. It seems so artificial and contrived. One that always seems so pointless to me is when people pray before they eat. Why not pray 20 minutes before you eat? Why not pray continuously, daily? Why do people go year after year doing something such as this, only because that's how they were brought up and have always done it? Is it wrong to step outside of that routine or something?

That's what I was going to ask you. :huh:

I thought if anyone understood it, it would be SJs. I thought this was an example of an SJ thing.

My attitude is that pretty much, I'll pray before a meal if I'm asked to, although I don't agree with it. I don't believe in God but I'll still go along with it so as not to make waves (because it doesn't hurt me). It's not something I would personally do, but to each their own.

Although I will set the fork on the left, knife on the right if we're having company. Which is equally arbitrary and contrived, I suppose, but I guess I do it so that people will think better of me.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
It's like setting an alarm clock to wake up, it's just added to the routine so you don't forget.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
That's what I was going to ask you. :huh:

I thought if anyone understood it, it would be SJs. I thought this was an example of an SJ thing.

My attitude is that pretty much, I'll pray before a meal if I'm asked to, although I don't agree with it. I don't believe in God, but I'll still go along with it so as not to make waves. It's not something I would personally do, but to each their own.

Although I will set the fork on the left, knife on the right if we're having company.

I thought it probably seemed a bit ironic, this thread coming from me; yet again I don't fit the personality of ISTJ to a T. I always test ISTJ though... So, that being said, this ISTJ doesn't understand it but I guess there's a slew of them guilty of it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, some people will do it as ritual, but in general the point is to reflect on a proper perspective of oneself compared to the divine and to the rest of humanity. It helps make some people grateful for what they have, less presumptuous, and willing to give to others in need because it's "god's food" and not theirs.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Yeah, some people will do it as ritual, but in general the point is to reflect on a proper perspective of oneself compared to the divine and to the rest of humanity. It helps make some people grateful for what they have, less presumptuous, and willing to give to others in need because it's "god's food" and not theirs.

Why before a meal though? Why can't you be thankful for your food at the end of the night, after you've gotten a full day's worth and a happy stomach? I'm not saying the motive isn't right, but that it only seems ritualistic to hold prayer before a meal. Ritual in spirituality boggles my mind (but I guess I wouldn't understand the ritual if I can't understand spirtuality to begin with).

wastrd

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
but I guess I do it so that people will think better of me.

but people that matter (non-religious) will think much less of you if they saw you praying before a meal, you're kinda targeting the wrong crowd, don't you think ?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Why before a meal though? Why can't you be thankful for your food at the end of the night, after you've gotten a full day's worth and a happy stomach? I'm not saying the motive isn't right, but that it only seems ritualistic to hold prayer before a meal. Ritual in spirituality boggles my mind (but I guess I wouldn't understand the ritual if I can't understand spirtuality to begin with).

Right, it doesn't make sense to me either. But I've always thought spirituality was merely the emptiest example of ritual (I mean, even dining etiquette has a social communication purpose)?

but people that matter (non-religious) will think much less of you if they saw you praying before a meal, you're kinda targeting the wrong crowd, don't you think ?

Right. I'll stand on principle as well if other non-religious people in the room do. But if I'm completely surrounded by religious people (or people who are faking it), then it comes down to "When in Rome, do as the Romans do."

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
right before the meal, you are hungry. so then when you put aside your desire for food for two minutes and take those two minutes to focus on god, you are not only thanking god for the food in front of you but also, to an extent, practicing self-control and in the greater scheme of things, acknowledging the fact that you don't need anything but god himself to live.

but that does require focusing on god with full consciousness of every word you say.

wastrd

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
right before the meal, you are hungry. so then when you put aside your desire for food for two minutes and take those two minutes to focus on god, you are not only thanking god for the food in front of you but also, to an extent, practicing self-control and in the greater scheme of things, acknowledging the fact that you don't need anything but god himself to live.

but that does require focusing on god with full consciousness of every word you say.

hahahahhahah

MBTI Type
INTJ
What's the big deal? People who pray before a meal do so in appreciation of their blessings in the form of food. That's why they do it at mealtime. Brainwashing? Really? I guess we're brainwashed when we kiss people good night, too. Why not kiss our loved ones at all times of the day to show we love them?

I understand people hating religion, but geez, this seems like the most innocuous thing possible to call people out on.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Dunno if it's true, but it might be a remnant of our pagan days. Pagans tend to 'share' their food with the gods or their ancestors, inviting (often through prayer) them as family at our table. Being hospitable was a one of the big virtues in germanic people, and this could be seen as sharing your food with those you care about, I'd say. Clinking is the same thing. There's an ancient tradition to raise your glass to the host, and to the gods during mealtime to honor them.

Shaula

Te > Fi > Ni
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
I always thought praying before mealtime was originally a secular practice in parts where food was scarce or highly depended on the hunt or what you could find in caveman days. But instead of thanking God, they probably said something along the lines, "Let's appreciate Joe for what he has caught and shared with us." Then as farming practices started humans learned that one of the essential elements to a good harvest was sunlight. Seeing the importance of the life giving sun and lacking scientific explanations they attributed the out come of their growing seasons to God (the sun among other things). Thus creating a divide in secular and spiritual practices. Instead of thanking their farmers, as they has thanked their hunters and gatherers, they started to thank God (a personification of mother nature) who obviously seemed to impact the harvest much more than any primitive farmer. Then as Amargith said the pagan beliefs evolved into other religions.

But I'm probably wrong...

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
"Let's appreciate Joe for what he has caught and shared with us."

I wish people still did that. Imagine if all the religious love, money, passion etc. in the world was directed towards the earth and to each other.