• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Christianity Today Poll (same-sex marriages)

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Sorry, I had to P.

Actually, I was going somewhere with that, but Ivy neatly derailed me with her wily universalism.

Out of curiosity (and latent P) where were you going with that? Were you making a case for believing that harm will come to those who don't conform to our beliefs, and the justification for stepping in on those grounds?

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Out of curiosity (and latent P) where were you going with that? Were you making a case for believing that harm will come to those who don't conform to our beliefs, and the justification for stepping in on those grounds?

Meh. Arguing with a theistic agnostic is no fun. My motivation went Bloop. Sorry.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Oh I agree that it doesn't fit with the Church, it's modernism changing religion to suit a new morality, which is ace but if the bible is against homosexuality, and that's your preference, why then would you still want to be a Christian, and follow a god who doesn't want you?

I suppose it depends on the brand of Christianity that you subscribe to. For example one church might say, "If you can follow these rules, then you can be in. If you cannot then you are out."

Another church might say, "No one can follow all of these rules. Therefore if you want to be in, then you're in. If you don't want to be in, then you are out (but we'll be happy to have you if you change your mind)."

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
By my best understanding of the Bible's teaching, which I consider authoritative, active homosexuals shouldn't be pastors.

That doesn't mean I support legal opposition to same sex unions or that I think each church shouldn't be able to make up its own rules about membership and leaders, that's just how I feel about it.

I wish it were otherwise. I know gays I'd rather be pastored by than some of the straight pastor's I've known.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Authority has no meaning in this context. A book gives no moral right to any particular act (I hereby declare Godwin in effect; Mein Kampf...?).

The choice is made by an organisation to exclude certain members. Those lines are arbitary, based upon the text that supports them. They could be drawn up across race, sex, height, age, money and eye color. Far as I am concerned, an argument on behalf of any of these factors is an argument for all. I do not believe that to be a moral stance; therefore, I do not believe the concept of eliminating moral upstanding community figures based upon any of the lines that could be created.

And considering the... contribution... of many pastors, I think if a line is going to be drawn, one might want to start with more distinct moral issues.

As far as the transitioning "unbible" to "I didn't say it was not moral", I feel that it must either be claimed the bible is not a moral book and that it exists as an amoral text for this to be valid. Otherwise, it is a moral book, and therefore makes homosexuality immoral. It is either authoritive or it is not; it is either God's word, or it is just another book. If it is just another book, then it, and whole community, is indeed bigoted and cannot hide behind it for excusing their actions or their beliefs. And if it is, then... Well, I would conclude the exact same thing, actually, just including God in their for good measure... but at least under those conditions, one has an excuse for behaviour they would not otherwise accept (as above, simply replace homosexuality with the "card" of the day... like it does every few decades).

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
I think whenever religious people use the bible as an counterargument, they are just covering up and hiding that they dislike gay people. However, for some reason, they don't outright admit that they dislike gay people which is why they don't support gay marriage. Religious people don't believe in what they're saying whenever the pull up the bible argument. If they were really serious, then people would have to adhere to whatever the bible tells them instead of going by what they like and dislike.

Mole

Permabanned
The universal image of chriistianity is of christ being tortured to death on the cross by his father.