• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I am an atheist but...

Mole

Permabanned
Actually, not in the least.
He's not dangerous at all because he has made himself ineffective.

Since he takes such an extreme tack, he only wins over people who already agree with him and will never make headway against those who oppose him. He gives them more than enough fodder to just dismiss him outright.

I would be FAR more scared of someone who could get his enemies to listen to him.

(and frankly, it's nothing to be "scared" about... this is about what's true, right? Not about what people want to be true? People are only scared because they're more worried about protecting what they have rather than making sure what they have is correct.)

Sure, this is about what's true.

And that's why Sam Harris is so dangerous - because he is internally consistent - he is morally impeccable - and he speaks in language we can understand.

Sam Harris is simply convincing.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sure, this is about what's true.

And that's why Sam Harris is so dangerous - because he is internally consistent - he is morally impeccable - and he speaks in language we can understand.

Sam Harris is simply convincing.

"True" is more than what lurks inside your head, Victor.

And I'm not wasting my time discussing things with people who can't look at how reality actually plays out, rather than ignoring content to repeatedly voice their own abstracted theories of how they want things to be.

Mole

Permabanned
"True" is more than what lurks inside your head, Victor.

Yes, to discover what's true I need to reality test the ideas that lurk inside my head.

I need to speak firmly to my ideas and say, "Come out you lurkers and be tested against reality!".

Sometimes these lurkers fail the reality test and sometimes they pass.

But when reality changes, I change my mind.

What do you do?

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
And I take issue with your use of the word "truth". I agree with Elaur that many religious beliefs, e.g. the mere prescence of a higher power, are impossible to prove or disprove. Therefore, you technically don't know if atheism is "true" or not..

With regard to some issues, the truth is obvious. Some propositions of elementary physics are an example. Rocks are either solid or not solid. With regard to issues of religious faith, it is much more difficult for us to have reliable knowledge. However, we can know some things about those matters by rational argument. This may be enough to refute what religions assert about the topic. For example, if religions make self-contradictory assertions as they often do, or make claims that are not at all supported. In short, although many religious notions cannot be completely refuted, there are good reasons for rejecting them. Therefore there is a conflict between a scientific and a philosophical approach to the issue and the religious. Although as you mention they do not always contadict each other, they disagree enough to be in conflict with one another.

The problem I am concerned with is whether or not we want to have the simple religious folk experience such a conflict by allowing them to read scientifically and philosophically motivated works.

Summary: In my response to you I sought to defend two claims . (1) Despite a lack of highly reliable knowledge with regard to religious topics, we have enough knowledge to reject religious assertions. (2) By virtue of point 1 we know that there will be a conflict between science/philosophy and religion, we need to solve the problem of whether or not we want the ordinary religious folk to deal with such a dissonance.

Should I also value the happiness of you more than the happiness of your descendants?

Yes, because my happiness will influence you more than that of my descendants. The way I may interact with you is heavily influenced by my emotive states. In other words, whether or not I am happy will influence your happiness. Whether or not my descendants will be happy will not influence your happiness at all.

Fair enough. I don't know enough about his views I only meant to caution by use of example.

My point was that, its not important what you base your views on because they are both sides see theirs' as fundamental truths. The religious may base their views on a profound and inherent faith. Dennett bases his on rational fact. Each will say their truth is undeniable and we are left with a stalemate. You cannot weigh faith against reason - its apples and oranges. Or in philosophical terms, fighting (what is viewed as) a priori knowledge with an a posteriori argument. Reason has little place in religion. Its pointless to use it to persuade the religious. Its like trying to convince pacificists to go to war by beating them up.

I think there is nothing wrong with attempting to persuade others but it must be done with respect and with their consent. It certainly may be of assistance to people who are struggling with their beliefs and seek advice. And I also think the evangelists should be able to if they also keep to the same standards. But what troubles me are people that make their anti-religious views a campaign, such as Bill Maher (not that I've seen Religulous). I hate when it becomes, "lets all laugh at the foolish religious people and their ignorant backward beliefs". Religion discussion is a minefield that should not be attempted without respect.

I ultimately thing that when it comes to religion views we must emphasize that they are beliefs not fundamental truths. People are entitled to express their religious beliefs but publically attacking and undermining those of others (if those beliefs are not harmful or discriminatory) is wrong to me.

It seems rather clear to me that Dennett communicates his message in a respectful and in as least intrusive as possible of a manner. However, it is a fact that many do not profit from his writings. They simply get confused by them. My question is, do we want him to continue his work. Do we want to invite him to public talk shows? Publish his books in forums accessible to all? Perhaps it is better that we do not and restrict his work to scholarly forums. We can accomplish this by ensuring that all scholarly books and essays are published in forums that only academics can access. In order for one to be regarded as an academic, he or she must either have a bachelors degree (or higher), pass an entrance examination, or publish something on one of the sciences or philosophy. In short, in order to read books such as that of Dennett one must show that he can handle a critical scrutiny of ideas that are an essential part of his lifestyle and will not get confused like many do. As Moses Maimonides(Maimonides (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)) once aptly noticed, metaphysics is dangerous, he who can swim will bring diamonds from its depth, he who cannot may drown.

Does this appear to be contrary to the values of our democratic society because it is an explicit form of censorship? Certainly, however this move is not at all uncommon in our society. We are well known for preventing individuals from engaging in potentially dangerous activities unless it is clear they qualify to handle them. For example, driving a car is potentially dangerous, that is why one must first prove that he can drive before he is allowed to do so freely. Performing CPR is another example, as that also is potentially dangerous. Similarly, discussing abstract ideas is potentially dangerous so only those who prove that they can cope with the hazard should be allowed to practice such an activity.

That is my proposal and an outline of the solution to the problem I began exploring in the OP.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
Does this appear to be contrary to the values of our democratic society because it is an explicit form of censorship? Certainly, however this move is not at all uncommon in our society. We are well known for preventing individuals from engaging in potentially dangerous activities unless it is clear they qualify to handle them. For example, driving a car is potentially dangerous, that is why one must first prove that he can drive before he is allowed to do so freely. Performing CPR is another example, as that also is potentially dangerous. Similarly, discussing abstract ideas is potentially dangerous so only those who prove that they can cope with the hazard should be allowed to practice such an activity.

That is my proposal and an outline of the solution to the problem I began exploring in the OP.

I thought this was a debate regarding self-censorship in mixed company and/or public life? Now it seems that we are debating some form of externally imposed censorship.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I thought this was a debate regarding self-censorship in mixed company and/or public life? Now it seems that we are debating some form of externally imposed censorship.

It was a very general issue. Specifically what personal responsibility does each one of us have with regard to informing the ignorant or refraining from informing them. Part of it is the issue you mention, or self-censorship in a mixed company, but that is not the only part of it. Other parts include for instance the issue of publishing in forums that are accessibe to all. This is specifically where Dennett's work is directly relevant.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm not wasting my time discussing things with people who can't look at how reality actually plays out, rather than ignoring content to repeatedly voice their own abstracted theories of how they want things to be.

Oh, so you're one of THOSE people. :dry:

(;))

Usehername

On a mission
There is no conclusive proof about religions, however, some arguments on the subject are better than others. Those proposed by the scientists and the philosophers do not guarantee us the knowledge of the truth, though they give us much more clear indicators of what the truth is than those that are almost completely unfounded.

In one sentence, no argument about religion or many popular myth has all the evidence on its side, yet some arguments have more evidence than others. A rational person will believe in the one that is more supported by evidence.

It is true that religion offers insights by inspiring people to believe in things they have no reason to believe in, such as immortality of the soul. This is a deeply positive influence on many people. However, if philosophical and scientific arguments were clearly and thoroughly expounded upon, it would become clear that the reason why people believe in the immortality of the soul is just because they want to. In other words, there is simply no reason to believe in such things.

Your argument is unfounded as soon as you step outside the realm of epistemology that knows only through logical and rational reasoning. It's fine if you're holding your entire argument within the rather large bounds of logic, and you happen to have societal values aligning with you (we're not in a day and age where mystics are valued more than earlier versions of scientists, of course) but not everyone subscribes to limiting their epistemological viewpoint solely within the realm of logical reasoning.

Most people, for example, believe in the notion of love beyond what is necessary for biological survival (loving people that aren't their mate, offspring, or immediate community to work together to ensure survival). Some people have friends they call and visit and write to on the other side of the world because they love them. This is totally illogical; yet they feel they know there's value in that relationship.

You are in the minority if you believe that all your epistemology should be contained solely in the dimension of logic. A distinct minority.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
With regard to some issues, the truth is obvious. Some propositions of elementary physics are an example. Rocks are either solid or not solid. With regard to issues of religious faith, it is much more difficult for us to have reliable knowledge. However, we can know some things about those matters by rational argument. This may be enough to refute what religions assert about the topic. For example, if religions make self-contradictory assertions as they often do, or make claims that are not at all supported. In short, although many religious notions cannot be completely refuted, there are good reasons for rejecting them. Therefore there is a conflict between a scientific and a philosophical approach to the issue and the religious. Although as you mention they do not always contadict each other, they disagree enough to be in conflict with one another.

The problem I am concerned with is whether or not we want to have the simple religious folk experience such a conflict by allowing them to read scientifically and philosophically motivated works.

Religious manuscripts can be interpreted in ways that allow science and religion to coexist. For example, I know many people who, despite being Christian, do not believe that Christ will "come again", and believe that many parts of the Bible, including the entire book of Genesis, are essentially fables, written to give valuable lessons and not meant to be taken literally. Also, as I mentioned before, deism does not even begin to conflict with science.

But I doubt that you're referring to the "religious left" here, so I digress.

The final paragraph of the post I quoted is a bit... well... I'll paraphrase it, and you can tell me if I have it right:

"There's a conflict between science and religion, and I'm wondering whether we should shelter the poor, stupid religious folk from the truth, or whether they should be ALLOWED to read scientific works."

If that's right (and it's probably not - I'm responding to this pretty late at night, after all), then here's my response: These people should not be evangelized to. They should have all the rights that everyone else does. If history continues to repeat itself, they will become more liberal and open to science as time passes, without any specific, focused aid.

Also, let's think about this for a second: for many people, religious beliefs are not based on reason at all. Therefore, rational argument should have no effect on it. Therefore, what good would trying to convince them actually DO?

However, if philosophical and scientific arguments were clearly and thoroughly expounded upon, it would become clear that the reason why people believe in the immortality of the soul is just because they want to. In other words, there is simply no reason to believe in such things.
There's always a reason. Ever read the works of Joseph Campbell?

Owl

desert pelican
MBTI Type
INTP
Meaning is defined as a formation of a concept? All of one's beliefs then have meaning, whether true or false. Essentially as they are all statements thst mean something or entail a conceptual notion about the world. How then, do clearly false beliefs rob a person of meaning? The only way one can have meaninglessness with regard to any proposition is by being completely ignorant of it. What is the relevance of apriori analytic principles?

Concepts are meaningful, but meaning is not restricted to concept formation.

Only something that is meaningful may be false, but one may believe something that is clearly false to be true if and only if, at some level, he doesn't know what his belief means.

Analytic apriori principles are relevant here because they're... analytic. (I included the apriori part out of haste.) Analytic propositions show well the principle I'm trying to convey. It is clearly true, by virtue of the meaning of the terms alone, that all bachelors are unmarried. Thus, it would be possible to believe that some bachelor is married if and only if you didn't know what at least one of the terms in these propositions meant.

I don't think one need be completely ignorant of a proposition in order for it to be meaningless for him. Someone may be more or less conscious and consistent in his beliefs; e.g., Russell's paradox--I wouldn't say Frege was totally ignorant of what the propositions in his set theory meant, yet his system contained a fatal contradiction in its foundation, and so the whole system was meaningless by explosion.

Journey

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I find it rather amusing to think that the "simple religious folk" could be so easily be "talked out of their faith." SW, you act as if all it would take is a simple logical argument to be laid before the people and they would be confounded and lose their faith. (I'm speaking totally of true Christians here.) I tell you that it would not happen no matter how sophisticated the argument. They might falter for a time, but they wouldn't fall.

Rom 8:37-39
No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. 38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
NIV

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I find it rather amusing to think that the "simple religious folk" could be so easily be "talked out of their faith." SW, you act as if all it would take is a simple logical argument to be laid before the people and they would be confounded and lose their faith. (I'm speaking totally of true Christians here.) I tell you that it would not happen no matter how sophisticated the argument. They might falter for a time, but they wouldn't fall.

The problem is not that they would lose faith but that they would falter. The concern is that writings in science and philosophy tend to confuse the simple religious folk, and I regard this as a substantial problem.

Journey

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
The problem is not that they would lose faith but that they would falter. The concern is that writings in science and philosophy tend to confuse the simple religious folk, and I regard this as a substantial problem.

I think that the people who would qualify as "simple religious folk" DO NOT tend to read writings in science and philosophy and so are not confused by them.:)

I see no problem with faltering, it is part of life.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Religious manuscripts can be interpreted in ways that allow science and religion to coexist. For example, I know many people who, despite being Christian, do not believe that Christ will "come again", and believe that many parts of the Bible, including the entire book of Genesis, are essentially fables, written to give valuable lessons and not meant to be taken literally. Also, as I mentioned before, deism does not even begin to conflict with science.?

You have taken note of more situations where there is no severe conflict between science and religion. My response is that despite such instances, there still are many other situations where there is a severe conflict between the two viewpoints. Look at how few believers endorse both evolution and creationism. How few know what deism is, or even more so believe it, surely less than 10% of people who claim to be Christians are deists. Conservative Christians and fundamentalists heavily outnumber the Liberal Christians and all other believers who interpret Scripture in a way that is compatible with the scientific view of the world. This is true not only of Christianity but of all other creeds. Conservative and legalistic Jews and Muslims heavily outnumber their Liberal counterparts.

But I doubt that you're referring to the "religious left" here, so I digress..?

I am not worried about the religious left as they do not seem to be threatened by Dennett's work for many reasons, some of which you have cited.

The final paragraph of the post I quoted is a bit... well... I'll paraphrase it, and you can tell me if I have it right:

"There's a conflict between science and religion, and I'm wondering whether we should shelter the poor, stupid religious folk from the truth, or whether they should be ALLOWED to read scientific works."..?

Your interpretation is correct.

If that's right (and it's probably not - I'm responding to this pretty late at night, after all), then here's my response: These people should not be evangelized to.."..?

They certainly should not be evangelized to.

They should have all the rights that everyone else does. If history continues to repeat itself, they will become more liberal and open to science as time passes, without any specific, focused aid..."..?

It is true that they and their descendants may become more liberal and open-minded, and we may want this for them as society may be bettered as a result. However, do they want this? This means that they will have to reconsider their worldview thoroughly and most people who are not open-minded find this to be profoundly distressing. Do we really wish to force them into a stressful situation?

Also, let's think about this for a second: for many people, religious beliefs are not based on reason at all. Therefore, rational argument should have no effect on it. Therefore, what good would trying to convince them actually DO?..."..?

I agree that most people do not arrive at their religious beliefs by virtue of rational deliberation. However, from this it does not follow that people who try to use rational arguments to refute religion cannot dissuade the religious. How do religious people form their beliefs? They make emotional attachments to ideas, usually because the propounders of such ideas seem to be authorities on the matter they comment and make their views seem favorable to those they preach to. The same people who have once made attachments to ideas because their preachers seemed to be authorities and promised rewards as a result of acceptance of their views are encountering more similar individuals. In other words, when they hear about scientists and philosophers talking about their ideas, it is easy for such people to assume that the scientists and philosophers are authorities on the issues they comment on. Many of such scientists and philosophers are charismatic speakers, hence, just like the preachers, they can make their message enticing to their audiences. In short, they can convince the simple religious folk to accept their ideas in exactly the same way the religious preachers have once convinced them to embrace religion.

One sentence summary: Scientists and philosophers can persuade the simple religious folk to accept their views in the exact same way the preachers have persuaded them to accept theirs.

I think that the people who would qualify as "simple religious folk" DO NOT tend to read writings in science and philosophy and so are not confused by them.:)

I see no problem with faltering, it is part of life.

They hear about the ideas expressed in the scientific and philosophical writings on the radio, on television, in the newspaper or even from their friends and acquaintances. All of this happens with no wish on their part to be informed of such ideas. Why are they informed of them? Because the ideas in question are freely expressed in public forums which more or less amounts to the claim that almost everyone will hear about them sooner or later. Because they do hear of such ideas, they do get confused.

Although it is true that faltering is a part of life, it does not mean there is nothing wrong with it. Faltering is a stressful occurence, the fact that it happens often (is part of life) does not at all show that it is not stressful. On the contary, the fact that it happens often makes it even a more significant problem, as it merely means that something stressful happens on and on thereby generating more stress than it would if it did not happen often( was not part of life). If it is possible to eliminate this kind of distress, it is desirable that we do so. I propose that it is indeed possible. We can achieve this by preventing intellectuals from discussing their ideas in a forum that is accessible to all.

Concepts are meaningful, but meaning is not restricted to concept formation..

Explain how meaning can be generated by virtue of something other than concept formation.

Only something that is meaningful may be false,..

For example if I believe that the Earth is flat, my belief is meaningful. Correct?

but one may believe something that is clearly false to be true if and only if, at some level, he doesn't know what his belief means.,..

What you said is that in some cases, but not in all, I can believe in false propositions if I do not understand them. An example of this is an analytic statement. Or a statement, the truth of which can be ascertained by mere unpacking or an overview of its intrinsic essence. I can only regard a true analytic proposition as false if I misunderstand the analytic proposition in question. If I believe in something that is false, namely that an umarried male is not a bachelor, I do not understand what an umarried male is.

Implication: Because I do not understand what an unmarried male is, does it follow that my view has no meaning? I am inclined to say that it does not follow because I have some kind of a concept with regard to what an unmarried male is. It is a false belief which does have a conceptual notion or meaning. It does not seem to be tantamount to a concept that is devoid of meaning.

Definition of meaning: A conceptual notion of any kind.

Additional note: The most conventional notion of meaninglessness is non-sense, or simply notions that do not convey a coherent concept. For instance, A and not A, or simply FDIOFSIOSFDHOFOHIFDSHOFDS.

On that note, I wish to suggest that unless a proposition is incoherent or does not form a concept, there is no reason to regard it as meaningless. With regard to this thread, I challenge your point that people who have false beliefs lack meaning. I would agree that some people who lack true beliefs lack meaning as they believe in non-sense (as exemplified above), however, many of them do have meaning as they disbelieve in non-sense. Moreover, I wish to raise the following issue; even if they do believe in non-sense, is it desirable for them to stop? In other words, surely they lack meaning, but is that truly a problem?

I don't think one need be completely ignorant of a proposition in order for it to be meaningless for him. Someone may be more or less conscious and consistent in his beliefs; e.g., Russell's paradox--I wouldn't say Frege was totally ignorant of what the propositions in his set theory meant, yet his system contained a fatal contradiction in its foundation, and so the whole system was meaningless by explosion.

I see that the system is false, but I do not understand how it is meaningless. Earlier you have maintained that some false propositions may be meaningful. From this it follows that the false propositions that Frege had in mind may be meaningful. In order to show that his views are meaningless you must show that some propositions can be legitimately regarded as meaningless and how specifically that is to be done. The onus is on you to do that.

With regard to this discussion, the question is, if Frege died ignorant of Russell's paradox, would his beliefs be any more or less meaningful than they were when he discovered Russell's paradox? Similarly, would a religious person ignorant of the falsity of his religious views hold views that are any more or less meaningful than the views of the religious person who was convinced by Dennett to abandon religion?

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I'd like to mention that there also a very large amount of intelligent Christians and other religious people who can think rationally and try to apply that rationality to their religious texts, but when the logic doesn't fit, they apply doublethink to make 2 + 2 = 5 to live happy lives.

If anything, religion is a useful crutch for many people. I don't see why we should take that crutch away unless if those people who use the crutch begin hitting other people with it.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
If anything, religion is a useful crutch for many people. I don't see why we should take that crutch away unless if those people who use the crutch begin hitting other people with it.

Yes. It's just that so many religious people really are indirectly coming and hitting other people with their crutch, by running around trying to impose laws based on their views.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Yes. It's just that so many religious people really are indirectly coming and hitting other people with their crutch, by running around trying to impose laws based on their views.

Now, that's just your opinion, but if they viewed it that say...oh I don't know, people who were cruel to animals should be imprisoned or whatever, I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with that potential law being pushed (this is being hypothetical, I know that law exists.) It's just that when their views get in the way of progress (subjective and relative, I know) or if it infringes upon other peoples' rights, then I have a problem.

Everyone should have the right to try and make what they believe into law. It should just be up to the lawmakers to decide whether or not that those beliefs should be upheld by the law.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Now, that's just your opinion, but if they viewed it that say...oh I don't know, people who were cruel to animals should be imprisoned or whatever, I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with that potential law being pushed (this is being hypothetical, I know that law exists.) It's just that when their views get in the way of progress (subjective and relative, I know) or if it infringes upon other peoples' rights, then I have a problem.

Everyone should have the right to try and make what they believe into law. It should just be up to the lawmakers to decide whether or not that those beliefs should be upheld by the law.

The thing is, the bolded is exactly what I fear most religious views seek to do. I'm scared that too many such people might gain power, promote their agenda, and then force their laws and perspectives on the rest of us. When their laws and perspectives are based on... nothing but an outdated book. It's like buying a newspaper one day, and then making decisions based on the state of the world suggested by it on that one day for the rest of your life. That kind of attitude scares me.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
I'd like to mention that there also a very large amount of intelligent Christians and other religious people who can think rationally and try to apply that rationality to their religious texts, but when the logic doesn't fit, they apply doublethink to make 2 + 2 = 5 to live happy lives.

I agree.

As for the OP, external censorship is undesirable in both its intent and implimentation; the former because its a paternalistic and arrogant attempt to determine on behalf of other people what is best for them, and which of them is sufficiently equipped to deal with potentially unpleasant information. The latter because its a powerful instrument of tyranny that inevitably becomes just that.

Well-intentioned external censorship of this nature can only be justified to the extent that its role is restricted to informing consumers of the nature of said information, so that people may choose to ignore certain sources of their own free will and control the environment in which their children are raised. Things like the V-chip or rating systems are examples of this.

Self-censorship, to put it collequially, is about not being a dick, and offerring negative social sanction towards those who are. I am fully in favor of this form of censorship, even when its subjectivity bites me in the ass. :D