• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's your religion?

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
The bible is rather specific about what kind of faith brings salvation. In fact the bible is full of good examples. No faith warrants salvation. Faith brings salvation.

I'm rather skeptical when it comes to claims like these. Everyone says the bible says different (contradictory) things. How does one determine which is true or not (and reading the bible doesn't help, as how do you determine which passages are metaphor, which are not, if any, and how do you interpret the metaphors)?

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Do I scare you? :D
Well, which category do you fall under?

If you are a hardcore Christian, then, as my previous post (more than) alluded to, absolutely, yes, you scare the shit out of me. But, if you are just a moderate or mild Christian, then there's a 15 to 35% chance that you won't/don't scare me.

Eagle

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I would say I'm HARD CORE. :) But yet I'm also understanding. My beliefs are important to me and I believe my God can do anything. I pray. I'll admit it. I study my bible. I focus my life around Christ. It just makes me different. Makes me who I am. I have my faith and although I believe it's right, everyone has that ability to make a choice. I am not going to force it. I might encourage my beliefs, but being a jerk about is no way to get someone to agree with you. I respect others beliefs and even though I might not agree, I function fine with them. In many ways I try to be the meaning of loving your neighbor. I am intolerant of the beliefs that I feel are wrong yet I tolerate the people and I still respect the fact that they have a right to choose no matter how I disagree with it. All I can do is state my views, live my testimony, and pray for them. The fact that those people matter is why I don't typically bash their beliefs. My comments towards others should be more friendly. I shouldn't be attacking anyone. Christianity as I see it appears on the outside to be full of contradictions in how to treat people vs. how the world works. Yet I find from the inside that together they make perfect sense.

Do you think you catch my point of view?

Last edited:

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Hmm, you might be one of the good Christians, (they're incredibly rare, for I find that most Christians are inherently highly hypocritical, immoral a-holes who use Christianity as a way to gain social acceptance and approval).

So, yeah, I might not be scared of you.

Eagle

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm rather skeptical when it comes to claims like these. Everyone says the bible says different (contradictory) things. How does one determine which is true or not (and reading the bible doesn't help, as how do you determine which passages are metaphor, which are not, if any, and how do you interpret the metaphors)?
For me everything has to be taken in context and scripture needs to be interpreted by scripture. I believe in a literal translation. If it sounds figurative it is and vis versa. The main points in this case are rarely if ever disputed. because to misinterpreted them you have to go to such drastic extremes.

Metaphors, such as parables are interpreted right then and there by the person telling the story or the context they are told in. As far as prophesies I know what sounds literal and I take it at that. For the figurative parts I cross reference and besides that, I'll know what it means (if its not interpreted in the text) when it happens.

The Bible only says contradictory things when people misinterpret it.

Eagle

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hmm, you might be one of the good Christians, (they're incredibly rare, for I find that most Christians are inherently highly hypocritical, immoral a-holes who use Christianity as a way to gain social acceptance and approval).

So, yeah, I might not be scared of you.
I hate hypocrites :) (not the people just them being hypocritical; which is hard to explain in some ways).

Walk the walk, don't just talk the talk. It's the actions that define you. The rest is just air.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
For me everything has to be taken in context and scripture needs to be interpreted by scripture. I believe in a literal translation. If it sounds figurative it is and vis versa. The main points in this case are rarely if ever disputed. because to misinterpreted them you have to go to such drastic extremes.

Metaphors, such as parables are interpreted right then and there by the person telling the story or the context they are told in. As far as prophesies I know what sounds literal and I take it at that. For the figurative parts I cross reference and besides that, I'll know what it means (if its not interpreted in the text) when it happens.

The Bible only says contradictory things when people misinterpret it.

Different things sound figurative/literal to different people. The problem of interpretation is immense.

Eagle

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ohh always. That's why scripture interprets scripture. It's the one set thing we have regardless of our views. Though ultimately we still decide how we want to see things.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
For me everything has to be taken in context and scripture needs to be interpreted by scripture.

Ah, context. Another thing that everyone disagrees on. What is the correct context (and there's people who claim that everything in the bible can stand alone without context)?

I believe in a literal translation. If it sounds figurative it is and vis versa.

And how does one determine what sounds figurative or not? Everyone is gonna have different ideas on this too. Plus, it likely depends on which version you're reading also.

The main points in this case are rarely if ever disputed. because to misinterpreted them you have to go to such drastic extremes.

Which people do. :p

Metaphors, such as parables are interpreted right then and there by the person telling the story or the context they are told in.

And even assuming you get the context right, how does one know if they interpreted the metaphor correctly?

As far as prophesies I know what sounds literal and I take it at that. For the figurative parts I cross reference and besides that, I'll know what it means (if its not interpreted in the text) when it happens.

You may know, but so do thousands of other people. And they disagree with you.

The Bible only says contradictory things when people misinterpret it.[/QUOTE]

It seems very easy to misinterpret it.

I would say I'm HARD CORE. :) But yet I'm also understanding. My beliefs are important to me and I believe my God can do anything. I pray. I'll admit it. I study my bible. I focus my life around Christ. It just makes me different. Makes me who I am. I have my faith and although I believe it's right, everyone has that ability to make a choice. I am not going to force it. I might encourage my beliefs, but being a jerk about is no way to get someone to agree with you. I respect others beliefs and even though I might not agree, I function fine with them. In many ways I try to be the meaning of loving your neighbor. I am intolerant of the beliefs that I feel are wrong yet I tolerate the people and I still respect the fact that they have a right to choose no matter how I disagree with it. All I can do is state my views, live my testimony, and pray for them. Yhe fact that those people matter is why I don't typically bash their beliefs. My comments towards others should be more friendly. I shouldn't be attacking anyone. Christianity as I see it appears on the outside to be full of contradictions in how to treat people vs. how the world works. Yet I find from the inside that together they make perfect sense.

Do you think you catch my point of view?

On the other hand, I agree and respect this view. People are free to believe whatever they want, and I have no problem with it, as long as they don't try and force it upon others. Laisez-faire and all that.

Eagle

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
As far as the metaphor goes for parables and the like, it's the author or speaker of that metaphor that is interpreting it.

For context I mean context of the text. Of the times is good, but it's not essential to the main points.

People are always going to screw things up one way or another. There is no set way. God's revelation is important to understand the bible to begin with. *My opinion.

So, what's literal to me and not I leave up to God. I make sure my thinking is right just like you might by comparing it to other sources and using logic. Beyond that it's beyond me.

Prophesies are always easier to see the meaning of after they happen. So thousands of people might disagree with me and that is their right, but everything is clearer in hindsight.

Is not everything easy to misinterpret? In fact in one way or another everything is misinterpreted.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
As far as the metaphor goes for parables and the like, it's the author or speaker of that metaphor that is interpreting it.

For context I mean context of the text. Of the times is good, but it's not essential to the main points.

Yeah not really sure what you mean here.

People are always going to screw things up one way or another. There is no set way. God's revelation is important to understand the bible to begin with. *My opinion.

So, what's literal to me and not I leave up to God. I make sure my thinking is right just like you might by comparing it to other sources and using logic. Beyond that it's beyond me.

So basically God tells you how to interpret the bible? If so, I can't really disagree with that, though for whatever reason I've never experienced anything like that.

Prophesies are always easier to see the meaning of after they happen. So thousands of people might disagree with me and that is their right, but everything is clearer in hindsight.

Is not everything easy to misinterpret? In fact in one way or another everything is misinterpreted.

Yup.

Eagle

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Not sow much as tells, us but shows us. Suggests it. Makes it clear etc. We really are getting deep into some Christian doctrine. There are a lot of other things that go along with it which make it more clear. The idea is that we as humans can only understand the Bible to a point. The parts we don't understand have yet to be revealed. Some people might interpret it as a modern day miracle, but in my opinion it's sorta not.

Metaphors... In the text if there is a metaphor the author usually interprets it unless it is prophesy. In which case it really doesn't need to be interpreted.
By context of text I mean what surrounds that passage that you are trying to interpret By times I mean well, the social times. What's considered right and wrong, to what extent, etc.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Not sow much as tells, us but shows us. Suggests it. Makes it clear etc. We really are getting deep into some Christian doctrine. There are a lot of other things that go along with it which make it more clear. The idea is that we as humans can only understand the Bible to a point. The parts we don't understand have yet to be revealed. Some people might interpret it as a modern day miracle, but in my opinion it's sorta not.

Metaphors... In the text if there is a metaphor the author usually interprets it unless it is prophesy. In which case it really doesn't need to be interpreted.
By context of text I mean what surrounds that passage that you are trying to interpret By times I mean well, the social times. What's considered right and wrong, to what extent, etc.

Mmk. I think I understand your stance better now, though I obviously disagree. But again, whatever works for you I guess.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The Bible is not easy to read, for sure, and can be very confusing, apparently contradictory, etc., it's true. However, the most important things are stated very clearly:

"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." (NIV, John 13:34-35)

Now, try to do that. If you can do that 24/7, waking and sleeping, then you're in a good spot to commence deciphering all the confusing and contradictory stuff. ;) For me, I'm still working on the basics...

COKE LOVES YOU
YouTube - Coca Cola Hilltop Song

COKE IS THE REAL THING

FerventFox

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
8w9
*skips multiple posts to get to the end*

I'm a Christian. Grew up Episcopalian and changed to non-denominational because I found that the Episcopals seemed to place more importance on the item being symbolized than the thing it stood for (i.e.: the actual water used for the holy water/sacraments was more important than what the water stood for) *no offense to Episcopals*

I'd also just like to add in that the Bible does not contradict itself. I have never heard of or seen a passage in the Good Book that does. If someone can find something for me, I'll concede but until then... :)

And, Costrin, you say that: "So basically God tells you how to interpret the bible?" and that is true. Many Christians pray specifically before reading the Bible and ask God to reveal His will through His Word to them. As such, God would "tell" them how to interpret the Bible through a revelation of His Word. ;)

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
But, if you are just a moderate or mild Christian, then there's a 15 to 35% chance that you won't/don't scare me.

There's no such thing as a moderate or mild Christian. You're either a Christian or not. Now there are plenty of Christians who are mild-mannered or moderate in their behavior, but it's an important distinction to me.

First, there's no such thing as a good Christian. We're all sinners, no one is good or bad. Second, you don't know most Christians, so you don't have a solid basis for that statement. Now, perhaps you meant "most people I have met that call themselves Christians", but once again it's an important distinction. And third, someone who "uses Christianity as a way to gain social acceptance and approval" is what I call a modern-day Pharisee and quite likely not actually a Christian at all, since that kind of behavior is directly opposite to the teachings of Christ.

Eagle

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Costrin, what we are getting into now is errors in our translations. There are no errors in the original text. Every seemingly contradiction has no effect whatsoever on the main doctrine. Also, some of those contradictions listed on that one the SAB are erroneous. The sections of the bible that they say contradict each other don't in any way.

In regards to some of the numerical "errors" there are mistypes in copies of the bible just like any other book. the difference between 10,000 and 100,000 is just a little dot on the paper. We could easily mistake an ink blot for that dot. We have copies from all over that we use to translate. Take a class on textual criticism and get back to me.

They copies are not inspired only the original. It's my belief that I could burn a bible and it wouldn't matter because it's not the inspired text.

I wish people who did these things would take a formal logic class or two because some of their arguments make no sense at all.