• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's your religion?

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
why is this not true. can you use bad words then? Hint Hint Hint

Haha. No. The point is that it is not acceptable to be brutally insulting and avoid bad words and presume that this is "ok".

R

Riva

It's clear enough in the rules. Vulgarity isn't good, and nor is offensive behaviour, hostility etc.

i know this. and i am pretty sure others know it too. my point is although almost everyone avoids bad words(vulgarity etc) it doesn't prevent them from the other.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^ Yes, point being, all kinds of insulting and condescending speech goes unpunished here; just because it doesn't contain overtly vulgar wordings doesn't mean it's not insulting.

Mole

Permabanned
It's clear enough in the rules. Vulgarity isn't good, and nor is offensive behaviour, hostility etc.

Chronic hostility is usually hidden under a veneer of jokiness.

And oddly enough hostility is also hidden under a veneer of sexuality and sexism.

And unfortunately sexism is given the green light by some of the women here.

But it is vulgarity that provides the best cover. It alienates anyone with good taste and relentlessly mocks the wholesome.

But vulgarity is so pervasive here one must think it has something to do with the site, or the culture of the dominant members.

Vulgarity is permitted and encouraged here as though were a natural part of life.

So vulgarity provides the perfect cover for hostility because it is taken for granted and so is invisible.

But should we expect anything less when everyone hides behind a pseudonym?

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
^ Yes, point being, all kinds of insulting and condescending speech goes unpunished here; just because it doesn't contain overtly vulgar wordings doesn't mean it's not insulting.

Just because you aren't told it has been punished, doesn't mean it was ignored*

*caveat : We don't spot everything, but if we see it, it isn't ignored.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
'Insulting' and 'condescending' are subjective terms; if they punished everyone who said something someone found 'insulting' or 'condescending' and then punished everyone who thought they were being treated unfairly by being accused of those things, no one would be left to post except a handful of people....:shock:

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram

As Geoff says, you have no way of knowing this because punishments/consequences are kept private.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx

You're kidding, right? This forum contains more overtly vulgar wordings than any other I've been a member of.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
As Geoff says, you have no way of knowing this because punishments/consequences are kept private.

No, but I'm familiar enough with the forum rules and with the posting habits of certain people to know that if they were truly enforced consistently, some people who are still here would certainly have been banned by now.

Eagle

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm a great admirer of Christ's teachings and believe that much of his message is a great guide for living. Am I therefore a Christian?

There are many different descriptions of Christianity and based upon your denomination each person views it differently. For me a Christian is someone who is "born again" and "spirit filled." I'm not so touchy on the details, but it is someone who believes that Christ came to earth perfect, took upon the sins of the world, died for all, rose again in three days, conquering sin. A Christian is someone who puts their faith in Christs teachings and believes that that the only way to heaven is through faith in His grace. Beyond that, it gets rather hard and detailed to be specific.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Most Christians would say no, admiring Jesus does not make you a Christian. Baptism is usually involved, and that comes with certain ritual declarations either made by you or made by your parents on your behalf in the case of infant baptism (which some Christians believe in and some don't).

But I would not take it upon myself to tell you whether or not you are a Christian. That's between you and God.

Mole

Permabanned
The Seven Sacraments in the Noosphere

Most Christians would say no, admiring Jesus does not make you a Christian. Baptism is usually involved, and that comes with certain ritual declarations either made by you or made by your parents on your behalf in the case of infant baptism...

Yes it's interesting, Baptism is a sacrament.

And it is probably fair to say that over the last two millennia that Christianity has been based on the seven sacraments.

But today it is also probably fair to say that not many of us can even name all of the seven sacraments.

Of course the seven sacraments were based on our spoken culture, while, since 1440, our culture has been increasingly based on literacy.

And literacy has given us everything we take for granted today. And it has even given us the sin of literalism.

And when you apply literalism to the sacraments they start to make no sense and soon they are abandoned for a phony rationality.

This is a shame as the sacraments are deeply serious, beautiful and magical.

However we are now moving out of a literate culture into an electronic culture known as the Noosphere.

And interestingly electronic culture is very much like spoken culture.

So as we move from the literate culture into the electronic culture, the sacraments will regain their beauty and magic.

How lucky we are to be the first into the Noosphere.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Most Christians would say no, admiring Jesus does not make you a Christian. Baptism is usually involved, and that comes with certain ritual declarations either made by you or made by your parents on your behalf in the case of infant baptism (which some Christians believe in and some don't).

But I would not take it upon myself to tell you whether or not you are a Christian. That's between you and God.

Fair enough. I know a fair number of people who call themselves Christians, however, that take most of the Bible (in some cases even Christ's physical existence itself) as a metaphor for greater wisdom. In other words, they don't actually believe that Jesus Christ had supernatural powers or rose from the dead or still exists literally outside the minds of followers.

Would these people be Christians?

Honestly, I'm not trying to needle you about this; I'm just genuinely curious as to what is required in order to claim Christianity. The more different, conflicting opinions I hear on this, the more I start to think the term "Christian" is meaningless because it's anything anyone wants it to be.

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
But you're gonna have to come to Jesus with this Coke v Pepsi talk. Pepsi is just heathen. Come on, now.

Seriously. Coke is it, people. *crosses self in presence of Pepsi drinkers*

Simulated - I wouldn't consider you a Christian. For me, for someone to be a Christian they have to, like you said, believe in some kind of supernatural/God-type being.