• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's your religion?

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have no interest in religious people, I might be for a certain time until I realize these people are delusional/stupid and/or too weak to face the obvious truth and choose to follow ridiculous dogmas.

Just answering the OP wasn't exciting enough for you?

--Rhetorical question.

--------------------------------------------
And where is Synarch when I really need him?

marm

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm heavily influenced by my upbringing in New Thought Christianity and by my early readings of A Course In Miracles. I sometimes think of myself as Christian and sometimes don't.

I'm intellectually agnostic in that I'm very rational and I prefer to see multiple perspectives rather than jumping to conclusions based on blind faith. I don't see evidence for an historical Christ, but it doesn't really matter to me either way. Also, many atheists seem as irrational to me as theists.

I'm spiritually gnostic influenced by Jung and leaning towards Valentinianism. I've had experiences that felt spiritual and which have had profound impact on my life, but I prefer not to interpret them according to anyone else's dogma.

Ultimately I'm an Integralist in that I favor taking a comprehensive viewpoint and in that I'm attracted to Nondualism. I've studied Ken Wilber for many years and have at times used it as a model for personal practice. It's through Integral theory that I can include all aspects of myself as being equally important.

Shadow

MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't believe in the idea of religion (a load of stories invented by humans to control other humans, although I won't say religion is all bad because the ten commandments, excepting what it says about how to worship God, seem a good template to follow for a happy society), but I believe in a higher power. Sometimes I'm even a bit tempted to believe in fate, but I like to think fate pushes us yet we have the ability to change it if we like.
I just sometimes feel that I'm not alone (spiritually) and I can't explain it.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
SolitaryWalker is absolutely right that we need to discuss specific belief systems and not just trade labels.

Terms such as "God" or "Christian" encompass so many dramatically different viewpoints that they tend to lose meaning in common usage.

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
My religion (or, the object of my religion) is in my boyfriend's pants.

Sorry to bring down the tone. ;)

nanook

a scream in a vortex
i am just a scream in a vortex

i could say a lot about what i have come to understand about reality, but it turns out, that the more significant part, the more personal part in my world view happens to be on the other side, the incomprehensible thicket of my world view.

so, if by religious believe you mean, what one personally relies on, than i have no believe.
if by religion you mean, what is the source of all your insecurity, then i have plenty of that.
(more knowledge=more questions)

but i have found trust (insight) in some things, some supporting pioneering powers of reality, that other people try to load on their own shoulders.
while this is not so very personal, it still affects me. i don't have to create wars in me or in the world, to make sure, what will be sure without my meddling - in the long run.

Shaula

Te > Fi > Ni
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Atheist.

I'd like to believe else wise but it just makes too much sense to me.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
New age/Wiccan practitioner. Otherwise I'm agnostic.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Atheist.

I'd like to believe else wise but it just makes too much sense to me.

I typically describe myself this way too, but you run into problems with people who make up increasingly vague personal definitions of God and then ask you to disprove those, as if you can't be an atheist without having rhetoric ready to defend against any random metaphorical conception of "God" that anyone can make up arbitrarily.

It seems to me that most people who declare belief in God are declaring belief in a literal, conscious, self-aware entity that observes and judges humanity based on specific moral imperatives set forth in holy scripture, and that he will bring the souls of the faithful with him to eternal paradise after death. There are lots of logical issues with this position, but claim atheism in reference to this common definition of God, and you get assaulted by a bunch of pissy new-agers who whittle away at the definition of God to eliminate logical problems until it becomes all but meaningless.

They tend to retreat all the way into something like, "God is simply the sum of all natural forces in the universe", which is obviously not what most religious people refer to when they say they believe in God. This vague spiritual/metaphorical force conception of God isn't necessarily unreasonable; it's just not what the word "God" actually implies to most people. But that doesn't stop them from insisting that you're a moron if you claim disbelief in God! It's pretty annoying at times.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not religious. I am atheistic.

If I were religious, I'd worship Thor.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Agnositic suppose to keep my options open.
Although leanings to neo pagan, new thought interests.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sort of playing with the idea of paganism/wiccan...otherwise agnostic. My spirituality is a personal thing...I don't like to share ('cos I'm greedy), but also I wouldn't be so presumptuous as to assume others share my beliefs.