• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's your religion?

Mole

Permabanned
godkills.jpg

The kittens are safe with me.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm glad we're talking about the fact that secularism doesn't necessarily mean atheism or even agnosticism. I would consider myself religious, but want a secular government. Of course, it makes sense that non-theists would want a secular government, but they're not the only ones...

Mole

Permabanned
I'm glad we're talking about the fact that secularism doesn't necessarily mean atheism or even agnosticism. I would consider myself religious, but want a secular government. Of course, it makes sense that non-theists would want a secular government, but they're not the only ones...

Really, if you know the history of modern secularism, you know that it is a solution to Christian denominationalism.

Of course the conventional wisdom poses secularism in opposition to religion.

And oddly enough many of the religious pose religion in opposition to secularism.

But both sides are ignorant of the secular settlement of Christian denominational warfare.

In fact your Constitution and mine enshrines secularism to protect religious freedom.

So, of course, you are quite right in New Orleans.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
Really, if you know the history of modern secularism, you know that it is a solution to Christian denominationalism.

Of course the conventional wisdom poses secularism in opposition to religion.

And oddly enough many of the religious pose religion in opposition to secularism.

But both sides are ignorant of the secular settlement of Christian denominational warfare.

In fact your Constitution and mine enshrines secularism to protect religious freedom.

So, of course, you are quite right in New Orleans.

Yes, but there's also a difference between secular systems that do not favor one religion over another, and those which effectively prohibit any role for religion in public life. There's a huge difference between secularism in the United States and that found in France, which has a much more militant (and in my opinion slightly oppressive) secular tradition.

Mole

Permabanned
Yes, but there's also a difference between secular systems that do not favor one religion over another, and those which effectively prohibit any role for religion in public life. There's a huge difference between secularism in the United States and that found in France, which has a much more militant (and in my opinion slightly oppressive) secular tradition.

Yes, this is true. The secular Constitutions of France, the US and Australia are different. And they are different largely for historical reasons.

And each of us are, in our own way, secular polities that defend freedom of religion.

We have fought together for freedom of religion against the fascists, the communists and now the islamists.

It is just simply ironic that the father of MBTI, Carl Jung, was a voluntary fascist.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I worship santa. He is the creator of all and bringer of Coke.

Sinister Scribe

MBTI Type
INTx
Enneagram
My worldview is somewhere between Theistic and Deistic (leaning towards the former). I was raised in a non-denominational Protestant Christian church, but I don't go to church anymore. I still consider myself to be a Christian, but I'm not really into the organized religion/going to church every Sunday thing.

heart

heart on fire
What's your religion?

I'm a clueless, lost child of the universe trying to find truth and yet hampered by my own human limits. I am trying to learn to accept this. Probably indentify with Gnostics the most, God can be felt but never known. This places me at odds with both religious and atheists and at a loss with agnostics. Believe in hollarchy more than hierarchy. That ticks a lot of people off if you mention this, just the mere word hollarchy.

Mole

Permabanned
A Judeo-Greek-Christian

What's my religion?

I have asked myself this and it seems to me to be a question of limits.

Being a mortal in 2008, what are my boundaries?

Where do I belong?

It is easier to say where I don't belong.

I don't belong to the Indian civilization. And I don't belong to the Chinese civilization.

Simply as a matter of fact, I belong to the Western civilization.

And as there has never been a civilization not based on a religion, on what religion is the West based?

The West comes from three sources - Judaism, Ancient Greece and Christianity.

So I am a Judeo-Greek-Christian.