• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's your religion?

S

Sniffles

Haha, he is talking about religious people that keep on trying to sell their religion. It's like trying to sell a car to someone who is fine with the car they already got. Then when told "No," keeps on trying to sell the car no matter what. Now add fifty car salesmen a day, and you will understand why "Fuck off," is thrown in your face in the end.

A simple polite "no, thank you" will usually make them go away. If you're that pissed off that you're going to video tape a juvenile temper tantrum and place it on the internet, then perhaps you're better off just getting a puppy or maybe jacking off.

KDude

I would say I'm Christian, but one of those ecumenical/universalist types who digs Buddha and Lao Tzu, Alan Watts, or even new age types like Marianne Williamson. I'm not big on finding how wrong every other type of belief is, and wishing fire and brimstone rain upon everyone else who isn't exactly like me. I don't think God wants to kill homosexuals - and isn't all that keen on destroying people in general either. I think God isn't against science, that he/she thinks men and women are equal, that nobody is a master race, and that buggering altar boys is nothing worth defending. And kind of think half of the Bible is primitive, militaristic, patriarchal, xenophobic nonsense. I think simple kindness actually goes a long way, and is the highest ideal (yet I'm pretty pissed off and militant against those who would snivel at that).

And yet I still say I'm Christian. Go figure. It's sad that I feel I have to hide it at times.. or even have to explain that some Christians also believe that Love is the answer. Everything is so muddied these days, where my beliefs are equated with a lot of evil..not love..and I resent Christians who are responsible for it and made life a living hell for others. And I've heard many sermons where sentiments like mine are all that's wrong with the world..that my thoughts are too "syncretic".. that being open and friendly is actually the wrong thing.. that I'll probably have to answer to God for not being totally down with everything the church says, and even given to ridiculing a lot of it. So be it. I think I'm right, and happy to answer to God about it all. How it was all the right call to not be woefully dismissive of intellectual matters and science, how one gender shouldn't overpower others, how young children shouldn't be sodomized, how I never should equate patriotism with religion, how I should cherish anyone, no matter if Buddhist or Atheist or Hindu or whatever, if they worked for a better world. Yeah, what I'm saying is all so bad, isn't it? I am going to enjoy the hell I'm destined for...if that's where I'm going.

I read an article recently where Anne Rice just walked from the church for the same reasons (but yet, she's still a believer). I like her. I've spoken to her a few times actually.. She's almost undoubtedly INFP, right? Maybe IFPs are all kind of like this.. a little universal and inclusive on our take on religion, even if we believe in some traditional things as well. I just think it's too simplistic to answer: I'm Christian. Because apparently, I'm really not. Most Christians would laugh at what I'm saying, and atheists would probably just tell me to give it up already. I don't like either approach.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm an agnostic who was raised as a Catholic.

Lark

I would say I'm Christian, but one of those ecumenical/universalist types who digs Buddha and Lao Tzu, Alan Watts, or even new age types like Marianne Williamson. I'm not big on finding how wrong every other type of belief is, and wishing fire and brimstone rain upon everyone else who isn't exactly like me. I don't think God wants to kill homosexuals - and isn't all that keen on destroying people in general either. I think God isn't against science, that he/she thinks men and women are equal, that nobody is a master race, and that buggering altar boys is nothing worth defending. And kind of think half of the Bible is primitive, militaristic, patriarchal, xenophobic nonsense. I think simple kindness actually goes a long way, and is the highest ideal (yet I'm pretty pissed off and militant against those who would snivel at that).

And yet I still say I'm Christian. Go figure. It's sad that I feel I have to hide it at times.. or even have to explain that some Christians also believe that Love is the answer. Everything is so muddied these days, where my beliefs are equated with a lot of evil..not love..and I resent Christians who are responsible for it and made life a living hell for others. And I've heard many sermons where sentiments like mine are all that's wrong with the world..that my thoughts are too "syncretic".. that being open and friendly is actually the wrong thing.. that I'll probably have to answer to God for not being totally down with everything the church says, and even given to ridiculing a lot of it. So be it. I think I'm right, and happy to answer to God about it all. How it was all the right call to not be woefully dismissive of intellectual matters and science, how one gender shouldn't overpower others, how young children shouldn't be sodomized, how I never should equate patriotism with religion, how I should cherish anyone, no matter if Buddhist or Atheist or Hindu or whatever, if they worked for a better world. Yeah, what I'm saying is all so bad, isn't it? I am going to enjoy the hell I'm destined for...if that's where I'm going.

I read an article recently where Anne Rice just walked from the church for the same reasons (but yet, she's still a believer). I like her. I've spoken to her a few times actually.. She's almost undoubtedly INFP, right? Maybe IFPs are all kind of like this.. a little universal and inclusive on our take on religion, even if we believe in some traditional things as well. I just think it's too simplistic to answer: I'm Christian. Because apparently, I'm really not. Most Christians would laugh at what I'm saying, and atheists would probably just tell me to give it up already. I don't like either approach.

See reading your post, I dont know who it is that's framing Christianity in your context, whether its those hostile to it or those who're its worst representatives, but its not good.

KDude

Come to America sometime ;)

All that said, I have my own take, and try to not pay attention to all of that madness (despite paying attention enough to write the rant above).

Lark

All that said, I have my own take, and try to not pay attention to all of that madness (despite paying attention enough to write the rant above).

Yeah, I kind of get that impression, I get a feeling that things are pretty polarised without much room for moderation or things which dont fit the profiles or stereotypes created by each side in the conflict.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

I agree. In the US, too many Christians (although certainly not all!) use God's word as an excuse for xenophobic, intolerant attitudes. Like I said in my post above, I think Jesus would be a lot more forgiving than many of his followers. I think he would value kindness and respect way more than trying to force one's beliefs, religious or otherwise, onto someone else.

angell_m

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
5w4
A simple polite "no, thank you" will usually make them go away. If you're that pissed off that you're going to video tape a juvenile temper tantrum and place it on the internet, then perhaps you're better off just getting a puppy or maybe jacking off.

Writing "You," means that you're refering to the guy in the video and not me, right?

You are/were appearantly not a big fan of George Carlin. The only difference between this man and George Carlin is that George Carlin used his Irish background to portrait his frustration, whereas this man is using his British background. This man has obviously practiced his speech, and he is obviously doing his best to keep his mask on. Can hardly find it a juvenile temper trantrum when he gets over 13,000 thumbs ups and laughs from a single little five minute video. But you're welcome to 'J'udge it of course.

G

Ginkgo

Writing "You," means that you're refering to the guy in the video and not me, right?

You are/were appearantly not a big fan of George Carlin. The only difference between this man and George Carlin is that George Carlin used his Irish background to portrait his frustration, whereas this man is using his British background. This man has obviously practiced his speech, and he is obviously doing his best to keep his mask on. Can hardly find it a juvenile temper trantrum when he gets over 13,000 thumbs ups and laughs from a single little five minute video. But you're welcome to 'J'udge it of course.

Funny, this video got 143,000 thumbs up

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YersIyzsOpc"]Freak Out[/YOUTUBE]

That might tell you more about how people value entertainment more than anything else.

LEGERdeMAIN

If you are very, very religious, then perhaps you should avoid this video.
But this is exactly how I feel about religion-- this man just happened to
say it a million times better than I ever could.

This guy makes me smile like this :D

[youtube="M114bK4qaiM"]Take your god and shove him[/youtube]

I've watched this guy before. Needlessly hostile and definitely an overly opinionated moralist. No reason to be angry like this, isn't helpful at all.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I agree. In the US, too many Christians (although certainly not all!) use God's word as an excuse for xenophobic, intolerant attitudes. Like I said in my post above, I think Jesus would be a lot more forgiving than many of his followers. I think he would value kindness and respect way more than trying to force one's beliefs, religious or otherwise, onto someone else.
There used to be a trendy slogan: "What would Jesus do?" which was abbreviated "WWJD" on mugs, jewelry, keychains, etc. It didn't seem to last long. I think many people who call themselves Christian don't really want the answer to this question. Their own actions and choices cannot withstand the comparison.

sui generis

don't fence me in
MBTI Type
esTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I understand what the guy in the video is angry about. It's frustrating when other people tell you they know what's best for you and refuse to listen (no, some Christians don't just drop it when you say "No, thank you")! However, my agnosticism/atheism isn't angry as much as it is freeing. It's different for everyone. I definitely went through an angry period, but I'm not there anymore.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
the term might have, but the trend didn't.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Okay, I believe you, but why pretend you don't know what the other person means? Sometimes it seems like you do that so you can wedge in some esoteric fact (like that one), just to show that you know an esoteric fact.

S

Sniffles

Okay, I believe you, but why pretend you don't know what the other person means? Sometimes it seems like you do that so you can wedge in some esoteric fact (like that one), just to show that you know an esoteric fact.

I like enriching peoples' minds. :redface:

Vie

Giggity
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
I once believed in the Roman Catholic version of God as a child, fullheartedly.

I still want to believe, but I'm not entirely sure that I ever can or will. The fact that I very hypocritically pray when I'm in need and curse God when I'm in a bad place leads me to believe that somewhere, deep within my cold dead soul, I have a shred of belief for him.

However, I find myself irritated by people who do incessentaly bring their beliefs into every conversation and ignore all rational reason to explain something, instead pinning it on Jesus. I find myself envious of those who believe as they seem so much more happier than those who don't at times.

Ignorance certainly is bliss in this case.

I don't know much about other religions and I suppose that makes me ignorant, but if I was to identify with one religion it would be Catholicism.

duck!

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
And I believe those who love everyone do not love anybody at all.

I don't have a religion, I'm an atheist.

That is the best thing ever said.

I am also an atheist. When I have children, I might expose them to my ancestral religion (Hinduism) by taking them to temples etc. But I will always teach them to be critical of religious dogma, and hope -- though I won't insist -- that they see through the charades that define religion.

I am told that my type -- ENFP -- makes people more prone to spirituality and religious beliefs. That might be the case; I continue to admire
spiritual beauty, but I feel that by taking part in it I am doing something contrary to my beliefs.