• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's your religion?

Lark

Religion can help lots of people, thats great! I just dont feel comfortable with it, why should I believe another mans words, & not one religion is better then another or more right then another....wheres the proof anyway.

Im just unsure :)

What I do know is what feels right or wrong in my heart and in my solar plexus, I dont need to follow a religion when I have that.

To each their own!

Yeah, I anticipated that too.

I'm not criticising you, just that I consider this a trend, consider all the posters on this page even, agnosticism is in, I wonder is it a thoughtful thing or a casual shrug of the shoulders as there's more pressing/interesting/involving matters at hand than spirituality.

Its not a criticism at all, it interests me because Marx in his conflict with Bakunin used to insist Bakunin was wrong for deliberately attacking the Church and Church power, Marx suggested that rising prosperity and social expectations would eventually off set religion which would go to the wall over time and be forgotten about. Seems it could be one of the things Marx was right about.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
This highlights the distinction between religion and spirituality (perhaps already made in this thread -- I have not read all the pages). Many people who do not follow an established church or religion still consider themselves spiritual and follow spiritual practices on their own or with an informal group of like-minded individuals. Each of us believes what we believe. Religions are then a bit like shoes in the store: none are tailor-made to our specific feet and style, but many people still manage to find a pair with a satisfactory fit. The rest of us have to be a bit more creative and self-motivated.
Coriolis wrote, "...people who do not follow an established church or religion..." goes on to signify that religion and spirituality do not necessarily go hand in hand. I without doubt concur. There are many truth's and path's to the top of the mountain. We all have distinct personalities. What to some is truth is for another a fable. As for my case it has to have an inner resonance. I do not believe in nor give credence with any one particular religion, psychology, or philosophy or concept. For me they contain partial truths, not the complete picture by no means whatsoever. I believe we all have some blindness, as in Plato's cave analogy and are searching among shadows for truth. Some have a keener insight from other people for they have the blending with utmost reason with an addition of love, & compassion. Those which are triggered most easily have less a grasp on truth than one who contains wisdom and has a clearer picture when it comes in understanding our world we live in.

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
Quasi-gnostic humanist pantheism

Every person should start at least one religion, or at the very least, an ideology.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Agnostic.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZKggvZGexQ"]Atheist Rock[/YOUTUBE]
Sadly, no quality version of the whole song. It goes through a few religions :yes:.

stringstheory

THIS bitch
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Though it's mostly just stringstheory-ism, Non-theistic naturalist is the most accurate phrase to describe it.
Introduction/Overview

YouTube does a better job.
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGK84Poeynk"]We Are All Connected[/YOUTUBE]

Mole

Permabanned
Blood Sacrifice to Appease an Angry God

There has never been a civilization not based on a religion. So my religion is to understand religion.

And there are some clues.

Trance seems to be a central feature of all religions.

Trance enables us to put aside our critical faculties and accept uncritically what they tell us.

Children are good example as children are in a trance most of the time and accept whatever their parents and authority figures tell them. This is taken advantage of by religious schools and madrassa.

And at a deeper level it seems we did once actually hear the voice of God, in what we would call today, an hallucination. But with the breakdown of the bicameral mind, we lost the ability to hear the voice of God, with the exception of schizophrenics who still actually hallucinate the voice of God.

So when Richard Dawkins says religion is a delusion, he is not entirely wrong.

But religion underlies everything we do and we ignore it at our peril.

Blood sacrifice to placate an angry God is an essential element of religion and we see that today in our war sacrifice of blood and in the blood sacrifice of jihad and martyrdom.

And we are in a position today to make the ultimate blood sacrifice with nuclear weapons and perhaps global warming. And religions that look forward to the apocalypse are plainly a clear and present danger.

So we need to understand religion before unreflecting religion makes a blood sacrifice of us all.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
panentheism: all we know is composed of and is part of an underlying cosmic divine, but we do not necessarily see the whole of it. and technically agnosticism, because while i choose to believe this, i also assent that it is "unknowable" in the sense of being un-provable. i choose to believe in panentheism because it simply makes sense and feels right to me that everything should be part of one grand whole, and that existence in and of itself has some reason. it's occam's razor and optimism, respectively. at the same time, i could never begin to assume that what i can currently conceptualize even begins to account for all the mysteries of the universe(s).

in terms of practice... sometimes i go to a unitarian universalist church, or other religious service. i pray/meditate sometimes, most often in the form of yoga. i get the feeling of the divine mostly in endless things... the ocean, dunes of sand, the sky. i love to read from taoism, shintoism, sufism - pretty much any tradition, especially the mystics. as far as i see it, there's general wisdom, ethical guidance, appreciation of life, and respect for whatever great thing we are a part of to be found everywhere...

dreamworks, for example. i love this song:
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG0a9WFkgzU"]through heaven's eyes[/YOUTUBE]
a single thread in a tapestry, though its color brightly shines, can never see its purpose in the pattern of the grand design...
if a man loses everything he owns, has he truly lost his worth? or is it the beginning of a new and brighter birth?
and that's why we share what we have with you, though there's little to be found. when all you have is nothing, there's a lot to go around.
no life can escape being blown about by the winds of change and chance, and though you'll never know all the steps... you must learn to join the dance!

did i mention it's just kind of fun too? :D li-li-li

elementalgrace

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
This highlights the distinction between religion and spirituality (perhaps already made in this thread -- I have not read all the pages). Many people who do not follow an established church or religion still consider themselves spiritual and follow spiritual practices on their own or with an informal group of like-minded individuals. Each of us believes what we believe. Religions are then a bit like shoes in the store: none are tailor-made to our specific feet and style, but many people still manage to find a pair with a satisfactory fit. The rest of us have to be a bit more creative and self-motivated.

Dude, I like your style.

Personally, I have my own personal spirituality based on my own experiences and intuitions but it's a fluid sort of a thing, rather than a more rigid structure of an established religion. :)

Stevo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
None.

I believe that's really all that needs saying.

VictorClimacus

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4x3
I am in the process of shedding, or at least of acknowledging, the layers of cultural conditioning and self-made delusions that cover me, and trying to move past them and onward through the anxiety and dread that now characterize my life. Beyond lies the possibility of rediscovering faith. But right now it's all confusion and dread. Everything is dubious. Everything is problematic. Nothing is certain.

That is all I can say about religion.

Stevo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I am in the process of shedding, or at least of acknowledging, the layers of cultural conditioning and self-made delusions that cover me, and trying to move past them and onward through the anxiety and dread that now characterize my life. Beyond lies the possibility of rediscovering faith. But right now it's all confusion and dread. Everything is dubious. Everything is problematic. Nothing is certain.

Going through a loss of faith is always a tough and painful process---as one who has experienced it firsthand, I'd like to let you know that although things seem bleak now, they will get better eventually and I wish you the best.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
panentheism: all we know is composed of and is part of an underlying cosmic divine, but we do not necessarily see the whole of it. and technically agnosticism, because while i choose to believe this, i also assent that it is "unknowable" in the sense of being un-provable. i choose to believe in panentheism because it simply makes sense and feels right to me that everything should be part of one grand whole, and that existence in and of itself has some reason. it's occam's razor and optimism, respectively. at the same time, i could never begin to assume that what i can currently conceptualize even begins to account for all the mysteries of the universe(s).

in terms of practice... sometimes i go to a unitarian universalist church, or other religious service. i pray/meditate sometimes, most often in the form of yoga. i get the feeling of the divine mostly in endless things... the ocean, dunes of sand, the sky. i love to read from taoism, shintoism, sufism - pretty much any tradition, especially the mystics. as far as i see it, there's general wisdom, ethical guidance, appreciation of life, and respect for whatever great thing we are a part of to be found everywhere...

dreamworks, for example. i love this song:
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG0a9WFkgzU"]through heaven's eyes[/YOUTUBE]
a single thread in a tapestry, though its color brightly shines, can never see its purpose in the pattern of the grand design...
if a man loses everything he owns, has he truly lost his worth? or is it the beginning of a new and brighter birth?
and that's why we share what we have with you, though there's little to be found. when all you have is nothing, there's a lot to go around.
no life can escape being blown about by the winds of change and chance, and though you'll never know all the steps... you must learn to join the dance!

did i mention it's just kind of fun too? :D li-li-li

Wuhh..that's pretty real, skylights. I'm digging what you're saying. Keep shining on.

LEGERdeMAIN

I didn't find loss of faith tough or painful. It was a big relief. Like a huge weight had been lifted off and I felt a lot of energy and motivation, maybe because I was finally able to see and end to life rather than believing(with no evidence) that I would end up in hell or heaven for eternity. I'm an atheist/agnostic still. I'm very happy with that aspect of my life. I don't mind people trying to convert me though, unless they are total strangers. I tell those mormon boys on bikes to fuck off, get off of my property, etc. I don't need another book of mormon, have two copies already.

Mole

Permabanned
The Pipes of Pan and Little Portly

panentheism

Sometimes we find large hoof marks in soft soil - marks of the cloven hoof. And sometimes at dawn and dusk we hear the most delightful pipes that leaves us wistful of we know not what.

But when a little animal is lost and afraid we put our faith in Him and lo and behold, that which was lost is found.

But if you want to find our what happened to Little Portly at the Gates of Dawn, and if you have always wondered what the Wind in the Willows is whispering, click on -

The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame: Chapter 7

Lark

I didn't find loss of faith tough or painful. It was a big relief. Like a huge weight had been lifted off and I felt a lot of energy and motivation, maybe because I was finally able to see and end to life rather than believing(with no evidence) that I would end up in hell or heaven for eternity. I'm an atheist/agnostic still. I'm very happy with that aspect of my life. I don't mind people trying to convert me though, unless they are total strangers. I tell those mormon boys on bikes to fuck off, get off of my property, etc. I don't need another book of mormon, have two copies already.

I'm not rude to them, my dad used to invite them in and long, long talks to them about faith and politics, they where mainly Americans but there was one scot one time. He has a book of mormon from them too. They never turned up after one year there was a crisis in the home and we had to tell them to forget about it. Prior to that they used to visit in twos each year.

I've got a very different experience of faith than you, I'm always interested to hear that and would ask you what way you experienced faith? Was it like an abstract idea? A set of binding strictures difficult to comply with? Something which provoked dread?

The only spiritual doubt or crisis I've experienced as bad because it felt like a seperation, loss and bereavement.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Going through a loss of faith is always a tough and painful process---as one who has experienced it firsthand, I'd like to let you know that although things seem bleak now, they will get better eventually and I wish you the best.
I have been there myself, and Stevo is right. For me, it was less confusion and dread than emptiness. Yes, there was the relief of jettisoning all the useless baggage. I felt very free - but free to do what? Everyone around me seemed to be into their churches and Bible studies. I couldn't even see any reason to celebrate the seasonal holidays I had so enjoyed growing up.

I just kept going in the other areas of my life, and tried to remain open and alert to the inspiration that eventually came. One thing that tided me through this frustrating time was the writings of early scientists, people like Newton and Galileo. Yes, they wrote at a time when church approbation was important, but I still get the impression that they saw the divine in the universe they studied, and that sense never left me. I thus never entirely lost belief in a deity, I just had no idea what that deity was really like, or what I should do about it.