• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's your religion?

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I was baptized in a Catholic church, but I am agnostic and follow my own principles of right and wrong.

Lark

I like to hear that. :yes:

Just interested as to why you'd say that? Are you anti-catholic or morally relativistic?

Everytime I hear someone saying they live by their own principles or the only morality is one they devise themselves I always think of Dalmer, Gein et al.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Everyone in real life thinks I'm Catholic, since I was confirmed, baptized etc.
But I follow my own beliefs and don't find a need for religion in my life.
I don't even remember the last time I went to church after I turned 18. My parents just stopped forcing me to go, because I guess I became an adult in their eyes and respected my preference of never going to church again.

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I am Agnostic, heres some quotes I can relate to...

The mystery of the beginning of all things is insoluble by us; and I for one must be content to remain an agnostic
Charles Darwin

I have observed that the world has suffered far less from ignorance than from pretensions to knowledge. It is not skeptics or explorers but fanatics and ideologues who menace decency and progress. No agnostic ever burned anyone at the stake or tortur
Daniel J. Boorstin

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. ~Seneca the Younger

Religion is a monumental chapter in the history of human egotism. ~William James

I refuse to be labeled immoral merely because I am godless. ~Peter Walker

Religion: A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. ~Ambrose Bierce

All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry. ~Edgar Allen Poe

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Just interested as to why you'd say that? Are you anti-catholic or morally relativistic?

Everytime I hear someone saying they live by their own principles or the only morality is one they devise themselves I always think of Dalmer, Gein et al.

I'm not anti-catholic, but maybe morally relativistic.

I just like the idea of setting your own morals and rights and wrongs and dealing with the consequences that follow. Simply put.

Lark

I'm not anti-catholic, but maybe morally relativistic.

I just like the idea of setting your own morals and rights and wrongs and dealing with the consequences that follow. Simply put.

Which I reckon sounds like personal responsibility as determined by the liberal cultural milleau.

No one is as original, novel or unique as they think it.

Lark

I guess Im Agnostic, heres some quotes I can relate to...

The mystery of the beginning of all things is insoluble by us; and I for one must be content to remain an agnostic
Charles Darwin

I have observed that the world has suffered far less from ignorance than from pretensions to knowledge. It is not skeptics or explorers but fanatics and ideologues who menace decency and progress. No agnostic ever burned anyone at the stake or tortur
Daniel J. Boorstin

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. ~Seneca the Younger

Religion is a monumental chapter in the history of human egotism. ~William James

I refuse to be labeled immoral merely because I am godless. ~Peter Walker

Religion: A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. ~Ambrose Bierce

All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry. ~Edgar Allen Poe

Perhaps when I was younger I could have agreed with some, if not all of that, now it just has a profoundly depressing ring to it.

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
If I was forced in to choosing a religion I would chose Buddhism

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Which I reckon sounds like personal responsibility as determined by the liberal cultural milleau.

No one is as original, novel or unique as they think it.

I don't do it because of the liberal cultural milleau, and I don't think that way to feel original, novel or unique.

I'll try to say this in the safest way possible:

I was born, raised, baptized, and confirmed in the Episcopal Church but I've left it and am now Agnostic.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
well I bet you all would never think you'd here the day when I'd tell you that..

I am Agnostic..

When did that happen?

I too am Agnostic. I too spent time in the Episcopal church growing up and then the Anglican church.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
When did that happen?

I too am Agnostic. I too spent time in the Episcopal church growing up and then the Anglican church.

A couple of months ago. Something clicked and I began to hate the church. I question a lot that I've been brought up on, yet don't have answers that come with age and experience.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
A couple of months ago. Something clicked and I began to hate the church. I question a lot that I've been brought up on, yet don't have answers that come with age and experience.

I know exactly where you're at.

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yeah, I anticipated that you know.

Religion can help lots of people, thats great! I just dont feel comfortable with it, why should I believe another mans words, & not one religion is better then another or more right then another....wheres the proof anyway.

Im just unsure :)

What I do know is what feels right or wrong in my heart and in my solar plexus, I dont need to follow a religion when I have that.

To each their own!

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Religion can help lots of people, thats great! I just dont feel comfortable with it, why should I believe another mans words, & not one religion is better then another or more right then another....wheres the proof anyway.

What I do know is what feels right or wrong in my heart and in my solar plexus, I dont need to follow a religion when I have that.

To each their own!
This highlights the distinction between religion and spirituality (perhaps already made in this thread -- I have not read all the pages). Many people who do not follow an established church or religion still consider themselves spiritual and follow spiritual practices on their own or with an informal group of like-minded individuals. Each of us believes what we believe. Religions are then a bit like shoes in the store: none are tailor-made to our specific feet and style, but many people still manage to find a pair with a satisfactory fit. The rest of us have to be a bit more creative and self-motivated.