• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's your religion?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
considering joining JoSunshine's Church of Bacon if it get's started... mmmm... bacon :drool:

I beleive in something, I'm just not sure what- there's a very good chance that I merely beleive in the laws of science and social sciences :thinking: I've read up quite a bit on different religions and find their mythologies to be good reading, but I'm still at a loss as to what to beleive... I've pretty much concluded that shit happens, and one should keep their fingers crossed and be nice to people in order to cushion the blow, though I doubt that would get many followers

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
What!? You don't know where the dragons are? Haven't you ever seen a fire? Just because you can't see dragons doesn't mean they don't exist! They are there in spirit, by every fire. Haven't you ever heard the good old question of 'do you believe in the wind?' in response to your remarks of atheism? So, since you believe in the wind, you must also believe in dragons. God exists, you can't see him, but you can feel him; just like you can't see the wind, but you certainly can feel it! Nothing is different for dragons, you can't see them but you better believe that you can feel them and what greater evidence is there for their existence than fire! Come on, floods that happened in homosexual infested towns recently, in Sodom and Gomorrah and of course the fact that Noah's Arc has been discovered is sufficient evidence for Jehovah's existence! So, we must conclude that just as truly as we observe God's power in the flood, we definitely observe the amazing power of dragons in every great forest fire that we see! You arrogant, ungrateful twit! You should count yourself blessed for the fact that you can use fire to cook and at your camping ground; how dare you refuse to acknowledge the dragons for this privelege that you have!?

pff... religious fanatics.
they're all the same.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
From the last few posts, I must conclude that God made some serious mistakes during Creation. :D

KDude

considering joining JoSunshine's Church of Bacon if it get's started... mmmm... bacon :drool:

In the Church of Bacon, I am the devil incarnate. :devil:

Anyhow, I spread my religious beliefs between Taoism and the Sermon on the Mount. I used to call myself a Christian, but I'm a rather lousy one, so might as well not.

R

Riva

Buddhism has rituals and community. It's a religion.

Buddha preached for 45 years. And preached on many subjects. But what is the core of Buddhism? What is the core belief?

The four noble truths.
Is Buddha's 1st and the most important sutra. It explains the theory of Buddhism.

How is it a philosophy? (A way of life?)

The noble eightfold path.
That was Buddhas 2nd sutra and the continuation of the four noble truths. This sutra explains how to realize (by experience the four noble truths) and to eradicate suffering. By experience from practicing the noble eightfold path.

------

So let me stress on it again. The 1st and the 2nd sutras explains all-you-need-to-know of Buddhism. But after a while Buddha realized that not too many people understood the theory. Then he preached more and more and more expanding on the 1st sutra. But they (most of them) were covering the main 2 sutras.

------

Yes Buddhsim does have traditions. Lots and lots of them. To name a few-

Offering flowers
Offering candles (or lamps)

Blah blah blah...

All of which are symbolic acts rather than rituals to wash your sins away.

Ex - While offering flowers he/she would recite a Gatha (saying) which translates to -

The same way these beautiful flowers would grow old and die, my own body would also grow old and die.

Last edited:

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I believe that if there is a deity, he/she/it's a distant, sadistic prick. -- I'm agnostic.

Loxias

MBTI Type
INxj
Enneagram
4w5
I feel strong affinities for Eastern Orthodox Christianity and the concept of theosis as well as the praxis it requires.
Similarly (although a bit paradoxically, yet it comes out coherent in my head), I have strong affinities with zen buddhism.

I have a good opinion on Catholicism as it has been a great provider for the arts (the indulgence system was pure genius), as well as of Shinto (I like their architecture and relationship with nature).

I live a rather agnostic secular lifestyle, and while I've had some moments of enlightenment that induced faith, I still haven't taken the step of becoming genuinely religious.
Maybe I am afraid that I will onto something if I do... Is my instinct on this right?
Because, in a way, by not applying any religious practice in my life, I could also very well be missing out on what would be the most important if it happens that my faith is not an illusion.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I worship the sun. When I wake in the morning I can see it.

The sun is powerful enough to illuminate the moon at night.

I know it's always there.

Without the sun and the materials of creation from the stars!

None of us would exist.

Worshipping the sun follows the KISS principle and I like that concept very much.

The sun sets a good example in keeping a routine. It is very constant in it's patterns and behaviors.

The sun did not choose to favor a specific plant, animal, or rock over all others.

The sun even shines on a dog's ass sometimes.

It is the giver of life.

:)

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
I believe that everything is a surprise and it's just meant to be that way.

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I live a rather agnostic secular lifestyle, and while I've had some moments of enlightenment that induced faith, I still haven't taken the step of becoming genuinely religious.
Maybe I am afraid that I will onto something if I do... Is my instinct on this right?

Yes. I think there are lots of people who feel like that. If you come to know, you cannot go back to not knowing, and knowing makes you responsible. If you then don't fulfil the responsibility, it weighs down on your mind and conscience. So it's tempting to avoid asking any questions in the first place and continue with the distractions and entertainment that the agnostic secular lifestyle offers.

Because, in a way, by not applying any religious practice in my life, I could also very well be missing out on what would be the most important if it happens that my faith is not an illusion.

:yes:

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not an anything but i believe in something, probably more like a universal power of being rather than a singular or multiple God/Gods.
I tend to get quite into ideas and philosophies rather than organized religion.
Reincarnation be it scientific or spiritual has an appeal.
My partner would be in the direction of Zoroastrianism and i find it an interesting & attractive philosophy.

Mole

Permabanned
The Enlightenment

The Enlightenment disposed of religion and they never forgave us.

So we are pursued by jihad. We are pursued by blind belief. Some say we are pursued by the Hound of Heaven.

And they continue to hound even cartoonists.

But the Enlightenment gave us the modern world, and it looks like it is here to stay.