User Tag List

First 26667475767778 Last

Results 751 to 760 of 849

  1. #751
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post
    I was raised as a Jehovah's Witness and left at a young age. I can remember the discussions I had with the congregation's elders as they were trying to 'heal me'. They pointed at scripture after scripture, and I told them that I wasn't sure that I believed in the Bible. They shook their heads, packed up, and left.

    I don't have one, but religion has always been an important part of my life. It's easy to be Methodist or Lutheran or Catholic if you're born one, but from an outsider's point of view the differences are minimal. There's really no compelling reason to become anything, except for the usual reasons people join religions, because of lonliness, loss of a loved one, or just conforming.

    As far as God, I believe in goodness, which I think implies a God. If it's important for God to let me know of anyting else beyond that, 'he' will let me know. But, I have a feeling we all know already.


    I gotta hand it to Jehovah's Witnesses who stick it through. It doesn't sound like a religion that endears oneself well with outsiders. Besides all of the door knocking, end times failures, and such.. Little things as well. One of the neighborhood kids I grew up with was JW, and I remember talking to his mom on Easter.. I had given her some confetti eggs to crack on someone's head, and she gave them back to me, saying she didn't celebrate. And then she went on explaining she didn't celebrate anything..Christmas, Birthdays, you name it. That's hardcore conviction. As serious as I am, I don't mind crushing a confetti egg on someone's head.

  2. #752
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Christians who don't celebrate the birth and resurrection of Christ?

  3. #753
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,491

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I gotta hand it to Jehovah's Witnesses who stick it through. It doesn't sound like a religion that endears oneself well with outsiders. Besides all of the door knocking, end times failures, and such.. Little things as well. One of the neighborhood kids I grew up with was JW, and I remember talking to his mom on Easter.. I had given her some confetti eggs to crack on someone's head, and she gave them back to me, saying she didn't celebrate. And then she went on explaining she didn't celebrate anything..Christmas, Birthdays, you name it. That's hardcore conviction. As serious as I am, I don't mind crushing a confetti egg on someone's head.
    Well, the thing is, it's not just conviction that keeps you there. The non celebration of the holidays is intended to keep you seperated from everyone else. If you have less connections, especially family connections, which is what the holidays are about, there's less to keep you from leaving the JW's.

    Also there is a sort of self rightousness that 'rewards' you for being a JW. You know you are right and everyone else is wrong, and not only that, it's your God appointed job to show them. Some people are genuinely humble about their 'mission', but a lot of people consider themselves as elite.

    I'm not saying there aren't 'good' JWs, I'm just saying that it is a unhealthy religion. My sister ended up being shunned by everyone she knew and her family because she got a divorce. She was being abused by her husband, but the JWs say that divorce is wrong under any circumstances.

  4. #754
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,491

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Christians who don't celebrate the birth and resurrection of Christ?
    Their stance is that Easter was originally a pagan fertility holiday, and Chrismas was a pagan holiday as well. This is true, and in a way it's an admirable stance, but in truth it's just a way for them to isolate their members from the rest of society.

  5. #755
    Starcrossed Seafarer Aquarelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    3,532

    Default

    ^^Thank you for explaining, Qlippoth. JW is a religion I don't know a lot about and it's very enlightening to hear your POV.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

    My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

  6. #756
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post
    Their stance is that Easter was originally a pagan fertility holiday, and Chrismas was a pagan holiday as well. This is true, and in a way it's an admirable stance, but in truth it's just a way for them to isolate their members from the rest of society.
    Yes I'm aware of this stance, it goes back to the Puritains. How true it really is is actually debatable, and certainly as a Catholic I don't buy it at all. Celebrations and festivels are part of human nature, and they occur in the Bible. So I don't see an impoverished form of the faith as rather admirable to be honest.

  7. #757
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,491

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle99 View Post
    ^^Thank you for explaining, Qlippoth. JW is a religion I don't know a lot about and it's very enlightening to hear your POV.
    Oh, no problem. Luckily, it's something that's (almost) way behind me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Yes I'm aware of this stance, it goes back to the Puritains. How true it really is is actually debatable, and certainly as a Catholic I don't buy it at all. Celebrations and festivels are part of human nature, and they occur in the Bible. So I don't see an impoverished form of the faith as rather admirable to be honest.
    There's a lot of points of view on this. But, I have no dog in this fight. If you'd like I can send a JW over to your house, I'm sure they'd love to discuss it with you.

  8. #758
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    I had an overzealous JW who kept coming to my house, when I stopped answering the door he got my name AND MY DAUGHTER'S from one of my neighbors (don't know which one, if I did they'd get an earful) and tried to convince my husband one Saturday morning to tell him when would be a good time to catch me at home. The hubster told him to leave and not come back because he was making me uncomfortable, but he was back the following Monday morning at which point I called the Kingdom Hall and the police. He didn't return.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

  9. #759
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    ^Wow.. That kind of reminds of that Hitchhiker skit in Creepshow 2.

    I usually give off a vibe that repels JW's before even knocking. Not sure why. I might notice them.. and then peek out, but they always skip my place.

  10. #760
    Shaman BlackCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    7,005

    Default

    If a JW came knocking on my door and harassed me, I'd put on my black shirt with a giant red pentagram on it and see what would happen.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

    sCueI (primary Inquisition)

Similar Threads

  1. What's your favorite font?
    By proteanmix in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 12-02-2017, 12:56 AM
  2. Replies: 81
    Last Post: 04-20-2016, 08:44 PM
  3. What's Your Shoe Size??
    By FranG in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 07-23-2015, 10:18 AM
  4. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-28-2007, 06:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO