User Tag List

First 2363717273747583 Last

If it was Protestant, then it would still be a public notion.

Anyhow, in my case, I disagree. My initial faith had no connection with the public or any denomination. I had some personal experiences that simply made me think twice about faith and God... that's the best way to put it. I've tried to seek out community afterwards, don't get me wrong, but that isn't what got me where I am.

Sniffles

It's still basically a Protestant derived idea, and you made references to Kierkegaard's Knight of Faith; and Kierkegaard was operating under the Protestant paradigm(although friends did speculate that had he lived longer he would've converted to Catholicism - but that's another matter).

You're reading too much into my beliefs. The Knight of Faith is simply a method to illustrate what I already experienced. It's an anachronism, if you will. I'm not a Protestant. I didn't know much about Protestantism at the time. I had only been to one Protestant church before I came to any religious beliefs.. it was Sunday school, when I was 6 or 7. Other than that, I went to a New Year's Party at a Baptist church in my teens. You give my faith too much credit, as if I had put that much thought into it at first. I don't think I even subconsciously approached it that way, because I never paid attention to Protestantism to begin with.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    That's a good analogy. I also like the Asian saying of "one road, but many paths" as well.

This often entails loving a god made in your own image, rather loving God as he actually is. So in the end you're just worshipping yourself and calling yourself god.
    I tend to think that personal fit can lead to what you've mentioned here but I also think that there's more than one way to pay homage to God, for instance not everyone is cut out for the religious life, whether its a monk, priest or missionary, and equally there are people who arent cut out to be fathers, mothers or raise a family but those are two distinct ways of paying homage to God just as an example.

Sniffles

There are several ways of honouring God, as I acknowledged your analogy about there being several ways to the right answer in math. What I'm criticising is the over-focusing on the individual aspects of faith, to the point of reinventing God in your own image.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

There are several ways of honouring God, as I acknowledged your analogy about there being several ways to the right answer in math. What I'm criticising is the over-focusing on the individual aspects of faith, to the point of reinventing God in your own image.
    Which I think is an important critique to be made, the idea of a personal relationship or a relational basis for faith is interesting and it probably was pretty radical at one time and place but now its not, at least I dont think.

Its a little like the response to war in the west now, people are valourised because they died, they are remembered and their death personalised, very little is said about what the sacrifice is for or anything like that.

It could be clever control of popular sentiments to prevent out breaks of animosity at home between sympathisers for either side in a foreign struggle but I tend to think its even beyond that to some sort of post-modern deal in which all ideology, religion or anything else is excluded altogether.

Well, for the record, I never tried to reinvent God in my own image. There isn't an "over-focus" on myself. I'm just saying that I came about faith from a personal standpoint. Nobody really held my hand when I got there. But that said, there were so many unanswered questions from my personal standpoint that I've done my best to make sense of things in light of the "public". I've explored.. Even Catholicism to an extent. I don't want to be entirely disconnected from at least some things you believe in. It just wouldn't be true if I said your religion or Protestantism actually helped me appreciate these things to start off with.

Sniffles

Well now the notion seems to be the norm. The notion that maybe religion has public elements as well and that one should love God as he actually is is now the radical counter-argument.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Well now the notion seems to be the norm. The notion that maybe religion has public elements as well and that one should love God as he actually is is now the radical counter-argument.
    I think faith could and should be public but I dont think that it should be political and I think even when its public it can be full of pit falls for that very reason, I think this is why Jesus told people not to be like those who fast and cry out and cover themselves with ashes, that they already had their reward because they where looking for attention but those who did so in secret would have their reward in heaven.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

i worship cabbage
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?